1 Series Lumbar Support Retro Fit

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

yuckos

Re: 1 Series Lumbar Support Retro Fit

Postby yuckos » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:25 am

Is lumbar support sought after? I have it but don't really use it... Annoyed the original owner went for that upgrade over all the others he missed!

NARD
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby NARD » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:28 am

Just personal preference I suppose. I have a curve in my lower back so find it useful. Just annoying that it is an optional extra. It should be standard.

ajayp
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby ajayp » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:40 pm

Stealth328Ci wrote:Hi

This might be a silly question but what if your seats have heating, can this still work??

Sure will, I did the mod a few weeks back and haven't had any issues.
2014 M135i | Alpine White | Red Coral Leather | Auto | Heated Seats | Media Advanced | Loudspeaker Advanced | Comfort Pack | Sun Protection Pack | High Gloss Black Panel Display |

andyg
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby andyg » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:27 pm

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the kit?
///M135i F21

SOLD - 135i M Sport Coupe DCT

Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Postby Sonic1506 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:01 am

Just a question, but with this, can it not be used with the original button that puffs the sides up? Sorry if it sounds stupid
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

NARD
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby NARD » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:57 am

Kit was about £50 from Corbeau. Not sure if it would work with side inflatable button. I'm happy with some hand pump action. :lol:

Jimbo.
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby Jimbo. » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:08 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:Just a question, but with this, can it not be used with the original button that puffs the sides up? Sorry if it sounds stupid

With this kit I would think it's possible yes, however the factory lumbar support is more adjustable. Glad mine was spec'd with it :)

2008 E88 125i M-Sport Convertible
Sparkling Graphite | Xenons | Heated Seats | Darklines | Eibach Pro Springs | Remapped by P-Torque: 258bhp & 265lb/ft

Arno

Postby Arno » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:22 pm

Very interesting, thanks to the OP! This is something i'd really want to do on my 130i but the thing is, i live in France, i asked Corbeau how much it'd cost to send the item here, and they replied with a whopping 68£ :shock: At first i thought "ok, that could be worse for the item & shipping"... But it turns out it's just for shipping :oops:
I looked all over ebay, amazon and the lot, but i can't find something similar to this... :cry:
2008 M-Package 130i

Tooks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Tooks » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Just want to add my thanks to the original thread starter, I did this mod to my F20 this morning and it's a great improvement to the standard seat.

I might do the passenger seat next!
Gone: 2014 F20 120d XDrive MSport; BMW i3 Rex
Current: VW Golf GTE

J444AYF
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby J444AYF » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:56 pm

Tooks wrote:Just want to add my thanks to the original thread starter, I did this mod to my F20 this morning and it's a great improvement to the standard seat.

Typical me rushing through the options forgot to spec this as thought it was standard! did you fit this exact kit? My F20 arrives in a few weeks and I'd really like this

Cheers

Jay
Current; '65 M135i LCI / F20 / AW / Auto / Coral / Driver Comfort / Nav / Sun protection / heated seats / Harmon Kardon / Black Panel Display 8)

Previous:
'63 Fiesta ST
'06 Fiesta ST (Yes they are fords) :oops:
We do not need to talk about the rest......

Tooks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Tooks » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:59 am

J444AYF wrote:
Tooks wrote:Just want to add my thanks to the original thread starter, I did this mod to my F20 this morning and it's a great improvement to the standard seat.

Typical me rushing through the options forgot to spec this as thought it was standard! did you fit this exact kit? My F20 arrives in a few weeks and I'd really like this

Cheers

Jay

Yes, fitted this exact one, and followed the instructions earlier in the thread too, it's the same process, including the removal of the seat back.

I've ordered a second one for the passenger seat, after travelling as a passenger in my car the other day, I really missed the lumbar support.

J444AYF
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby J444AYF » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:06 am

Tooks wrote:
Yes, fitted this exact one, and followed the instructions earlier in the thread too, it's the same process, including the removal of the seat back.

I've ordered a second one for the passenger seat, after travelling as a passenger in my car the other day, I really missed the lumbar support.

Thanks Tooks, great stuff! I'll definitely be doing this then. I'll probably wait a month or so see if it annoys me without it, and then do the mod.

I think it's more critical to get the seat in the right position first, this will take a few weeks to do

Cheers

Jay
Current; '65 M135i LCI / F20 / AW / Auto / Coral / Driver Comfort / Nav / Sun protection / heated seats / Harmon Kardon / Black Panel Display 8)

Previous:
'63 Fiesta ST

J444AYF
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby J444AYF » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:07 am

Tooks wrote:

It appears mine has this as standard?! or am I confusing this with the 'sides of the seat' that can be adjusted with a little switch on the side of the seat (not electric seats)

Cheers

Jay

Previous:
'63 Fiesta ST

Tooks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Tooks » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:08 pm

Mine has the electric side bolsters, that can be inflated or deflated to squeeze you tighter in the seat at the ribs etc.

Lumbar support is the inflatable cushion that pushes into the small of your back, which is what this retrofit is.

I've had it fitted a while now, and think it's great. It really makes a difference to comfort on long journeys, for me anyway.

ammo23
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby ammo23 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:48 am

Will be looking in to this in the very near future.

Great mod, thanks for sharing :)

Return to “How To's”