Baby BMW Forum banner

How to change your idrive controller

53K views 105 replies 30 participants last post by  Milkie 
#1 ·
Actually a very easy swap for those with the first iteration of the idrive system (swivelling screen, dvd based navigation, and knob with one button to control it).

You'll need:
Part no: 51 16 9181072 - Cover, central control unit, black (different colour = different part no) £22.16
Part no: 07 14 7073406 - Clamp (x 5) £0.78 each
Part no: 9189048 02 - idrive controller (plug & play in my experience!)

So to swap them out, all you have to do it remove the surrounding trim by prising it up with a car trim removal tool, or for the MacGayvers amongs us, use a credit card or a library card. Slip it under and press up - it pops out. Once you've lifted it a little you'll see the controller is connected on the underside to the car via a cable - it has a plug on the end so just pull it out.

Now you're just going to put you new controller into the replacement trim piece and slot it in to the hole you've left in the centre console. The new controller is bigger and a different shape from the old, so there is a bit of underlying plastic there which you'll have to trim - I used a pocket knife, a junior hacksaw and a wood file.

Once you've measured up and removed the needless plastic (marked in red above), connect the cable to the controller, slot the controller into the new trim, attach the 5 clamps to the underside of the trim, and then slot the trim into the car. How much trimming you've done will determine how snug it is - mine was very tight so removing it in future may cause problems.

Viola

Total spend £100* (controller bought from eBay). It looks better and works a lot better.

It's so easy I'm wondering if there was even any need for a how-to, but I'm a Samaritan, what can I say :cool2:

See less See more
#102 ·
If any one is doing this swap.... I am interested of buying u old one:) PM if u have one..... I am building something and need this....

#103 ·
i dont have any any idirve in my bwm 2008 135...

what parts do i need? do i need to swap the center konsol, or can i just mod the one in the car?

#104 ·
Hi I have a Bmw 1 series e87 54 plate
I've plugged the new controller in and It doesn't work
Does this need to be programmed. I changed my control as the old one would move side to side up and down but I could not press the middle button!! So cannot change anything! Pain!!
Any thoughts help??

#105 ·
Clarky08 said:
Hi I have a Bmw 1 series e87 54 plate
I've plugged the new controller in and It doesn't work
Does this need to be programmed. I changed my control as the old one would move side to side up and down but I could not press the middle button!! So cannot change anything! Pain!!
Any thoughts help??
Yeah. Snap. On an E87 '08 plate I get the same issue.

The original button doesn't detect presses on the controller itself. Only the Menu button, twist and and 4-way direction work.

I replaced the original (6 987 864 1) with a 9189048 02 from eBay, but nothing happens. No buttons and the knob doesn't work either...

:cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.