Baby BMW Forum banner

How to change your idrive controller

53K views 105 replies 30 participants last post by  Milkie 
#1 ·
Actually a very easy swap for those with the first iteration of the idrive system (swivelling screen, dvd based navigation, and knob with one button to control it).

You'll need:
Part no: 51 16 9181072 - Cover, central control unit, black (different colour = different part no) £22.16
Part no: 07 14 7073406 - Clamp (x 5) £0.78 each
Part no: 9189048 02 - idrive controller (plug & play in my experience!)

So to swap them out, all you have to do it remove the surrounding trim by prising it up with a car trim removal tool, or for the MacGayvers amongs us, use a credit card or a library card. Slip it under and press up - it pops out. Once you've lifted it a little you'll see the controller is connected on the underside to the car via a cable - it has a plug on the end so just pull it out.

Now you're just going to put you new controller into the replacement trim piece and slot it in to the hole you've left in the centre console. The new controller is bigger and a different shape from the old, so there is a bit of underlying plastic there which you'll have to trim - I used a pocket knife, a junior hacksaw and a wood file.

Once you've measured up and removed the needless plastic (marked in red above), connect the cable to the controller, slot the controller into the new trim, attach the 5 clamps to the underside of the trim, and then slot the trim into the car. How much trimming you've done will determine how snug it is - mine was very tight so removing it in future may cause problems.

Viola

Total spend £100* (controller bought from eBay). It looks better and works a lot better.

It's so easy I'm wondering if there was even any need for a how-to, but I'm a Samaritan, what can I say :cool2:

See less See more
#3 ·
Has anybody successfully done this with the older 2006 version of iDrive (i.e. Navigation Professional with the Menu and Voice Command Buttons next to the iDrive knob as opposed to just one big menu button)?

#4 ·
evolution42 said:
Has anybody successfully done this with the older 2006 version of iDrive (i.e. Navigation Professional with the Menu and Voice Command Buttons next to the iDrive knob as opposed to just one big menu button)?
It's been done on e9x's with professional navigation so I'm pretty sure it would work.

#8 ·
The controller itself is the same for (E) 90 91 92 93 82 87 88 60 61 63 64 70 71 X5 X6. However the holder is different between models, you could buy a used controller from eBay and a holder from bmwminiparts i don't see the holder being very expensive.

#11 ·
blaugeist said:
WOW I love it , does it give you access to the sub menus quicker ? Without having to scroll through , what are the benefits , apart from looking better , by the way top job
Yeah all the buttons work. When you're in radio say, you can go straight to the in use Sat nav nap by pressing NAV, rather than the convoluted way with the one button and knob that takes about 4 presses and far too much time. Also the TEL button, a soon as you press that you're at the number entering stage...

From wherever you are in the system, pressing one of the buttons will take you to the desired section immediately.

The knob also scrolls better - hard to describe why but it feels different and more responsive, if that makes sense.

#13 ·
L Bishop said:
Where did you get the controller from? As I have just got a quote from my parts manager @ BMW and all in its £192?
I should've said in the OP, I got a used one from eBay. I didn't think it would work so wasn't spending any more than I had to... But it did so happy days :cool2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.