E87 Fuel Pot Spring Failure & Replacement

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

Vinu
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: E87 Fuel Pot Spring Failure & Replacement

Post by Vinu » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:59 pm

I've got the same issue and I just called mu local dealer and they said to me it can cost between £30-260 what should I do

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Sonic1506 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:05 pm

Vinu wrote:I've got the same issue and I just called mu local dealer and they said to me it can cost between £30-260 what should I do

DIY it bro using the guide :).
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Vinu
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: RE: Re: E87 Fuel Pot Spring Failure & Replacement

Post by Vinu » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:16 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:
Vinu wrote:I've got the same issue and I just called mu local dealer and they said to me it can cost between £30-260 what should I do

DIY it bro using the guide :).
You up for helping me...? I've never done something like this before, just the thought of me doing is making a bit of poo come out, lmao

Sonic1506

Re: RE: Re: E87 Fuel Pot Spring Failure & Replacement

Post by Sonic1506 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:21 pm

Vinu wrote:You up for helping me...? I've never done something like this before, just the thought of me doing is making a bit of poo come out, lmao

Looool :lol: :lol:. Worst case scenario we call Mak and be like... we're f*cked, help us! :lol: :lol:. Doesn't look too bad of a job.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Vinu
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Vinu » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:22 pm

Lmao

Vinu
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: E87 Fuel Pot Spring Failure & Replacement

Post by Vinu » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:
Vinu wrote:You up for helping me...? I've never done something like this before, just the thought of me doing is making a bit of poo come out, lmao

Looool Image Image. Worst case scenario we call Mak and be like... we're f*cked, help us! Image Image. Doesn't look too bad of a job.
I know it doesn't look that hard but I've never done something so easy that looks so hard, but think it's more of the fear of the unknown, think we can handle it, mak will just swear at us and laugh, then sort to problem out

Sonic1506

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: E87 Fuel Pot Spring Failure & Replacement

Post by Sonic1506 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:29 pm

Vinu wrote:I know it doesn't look that hard but I've never done something so easy that looks so hard, but think it's more of the fear of the unknown, think we can handle it, mak will just swear at us and laugh, then sort to problem out

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooool this is true.

bolind

Post by bolind » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:02 am

Hey, BigC, can I just say a huge thank you for the guide.

Replaced mine this morning as the hinge had gone all limp dick on me. What a b**tard of a job.

Takeaways:
  • Put the metal fuel door away somewhere where you don't drop it on the concrete floor.
  • Wear snug but sturdy gloves for the removal phase. Glass fiber filled plastics are sharp and hard.
  • You will ruin the part taking it out. Try not to ruin anything else.
  • I did it completely without going in through the wheel arch, and I don't think it would have helped any.
  • It can help taking off the fuel cap at times, but be diligent about not dropping anything down the tank.
  • I'll bet you a brand new M steering wheel airbag that at the factory, this part is mounted before the tank.
  • Getting the new part in is a pain in the ****. Go slow, use pointy but not too pointy tools to gently persuade the rubber to go where it should be.
  • DON'T FORGET THE LOCKING PIN WHEN REASSEMBLING!
  • O-ring tools can help align the rubber gasket when the plastic part is seated.
  • The engineer that designed that hinge deserves eternity in hell where he does nothing but replace this exact part.

Kevin McDonald

Post by Kevin McDonald » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:19 am

Cheers for the guide!
This is great news. This book of ra slot offers you more and more options while you are playing. Like they say, fortunate in a game of chance.

Return to “How To's”