Baby BMW Forum banner

How to swap / remove / change an F20 Steering Wheel

49K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  marco_polo 
#1 ·
This one's nice and easy you'll be pleased to hear.

Tools:
10mm spanner
Medium flat blade screwdriver or similar
T20 Torx bit / driver
16mm socket + extention.

First job, open the boot (and driver's frameless door on an F21 / F22), and leave them open.

Next, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery with your 10mm spanner, as you don't want error codes once you're finished. If the cable wants to flop back on to the terminal, insulate it with a plastic bag or similar insulator.

Airbag time! Double check the power is off, drain any residual current in the system by turning your side lights on. Airbag is nice and easy on these, as BMW have provided a release hole at 4-o-clock and 8-o-clock. Insert your flat blade screwdriver with the tip horizontal, aiming for the centre of the steering wheel. Push the spring you'll find inside, whilst simultaneously gently pulling on that side of the airbag. It should release half at a time.

Once free, release the yellow electrical plug, and the small black electrical plug to the right of it too. Airbag removed:

Next job, 16mm Hex-head bolt. This is fairly tight, I'm guessing around 75ftlb.

Once the bolt is removed, the wheel will release with a gentle wiggle, leaving:

Home straight, wheel trim. Take your T20 Torx driver, and remove the 3 screws on the back of the wheel:

and the 3 on the inside, plus a spade earth connector.

The trim and button packs will then release, you might need your flat blade screwdriver again to release a couple of plastic clips.

Refitting is the opposite of removal, 20 minutes start to finish. Ta-da!

HTH :)

Special thanks to Jack at , great value - highly recommended.

See less See more
#34 ·
Hi, when putting the steering wheel back on, does the nut need to be done to a certain tightness? Or just a tight as I can by hand?

(Don't have a torque wrench and if I can do without one that's great, but I'll get one of needs be).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.