F20 / F21 Kidney Grill Removal

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

emawer
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

F20 / F21 Kidney Grill Removal

Post by emawer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:38 pm

Got my gloss grills. They were quite a pain to fit in a hurry in the dark but I was too impatient to wait. The way I found best was to:

First read this 'HOW TO' before you start, cause it's better than mine - http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860459

1. Pop the bonnet and remove the rubber seal along the top of the bumper.
2. Remove the 6no. torx screws to free the top of the bumper
4. Pull the bumper upwards (pull gently but it does need to be pulled up quite far) to get a view behind it at the 3no. clips at the top of the grill (use a light).

- You can see the location of the clips here

5. A mate used a long flat head screw driver to push these 3no. clips and release them (one of my grills had a clip snapped off, naughty BMW! but it meant there was 1 less to do)
6. For the clips on the left and right of the grill you should be able to fit your hand/fingers through the slats and release these with a bit of force and patience and wiggling.
7. For the three at the bottom I couldn't get to these from behind the bumper like I did with the top 3. And also couldn't do it with a spoon like he suggested in the HOW TO i linked above.
As we had release the 3 top clips and 2 side clips the grill was pretty loose, so my mate with skinny hands and wrists slipped his hand behind the grill from the top as I pulled it away from the bumper, he could then release the 3no. bottom clips with his fingers.
8. Once you have one grill out the second is easy as you can just reach through the hole.
9. Done, bang your new ones in.

Sorry I would've taken some pics of my own while doing it but it was dark and I was too involved in the process to think. It took about 30 minutes in total. After 10 minutes we'd got no where and thought about giving up, until we dropped a screw driver down behind the front bumper so we had to get the grill off to fetch it back.

Some pics of them in - like I said it was dark but they look good. Just need gloss black wing mirrors to match.

2014 116i Sport // F21 // Alpine White // Driver Comfort Pack // Sun Protection Pack // M Performance Grills //

ILikeJam
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: F20 / F21 Kidney Grill Removal

Post by ILikeJam » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:46 pm

When I changed mine I just undid the 4 torx screws under the bonnet, pulled the bumper forward, slid my arm down the gap and undid all the clips by hand.

Be careful when pulling/pushing the top of the bumper as there are also little metal clips that hold it in place and these will come loose when you pull the bumper out.

I bought CKS Performance's grilles from Ebay and very happy with them.

Gone - F20 116i M Sport Pre-LCI
Now - An official Audi driving c0ckwomble

Burgs007

Post by Burgs007 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:21 am

Looks awesome !
M135i auto

Jibbotson
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jibbotson » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:41 pm

Fantastic thread. Just came in very handy for me this afternoon... I went a step further and did fins and mirrors as well all in carbon vinyl wrap.

Gone from this:

To this!

SB F31 320d MSport Touring (Yawn) & Yamaha MT-07
Previous:
EB F20 M135i With Mods (will be sorely missed)- viewtopic.php?f=74&t=87306

Mk7 Fiesta ST-3 1.6T

Ashley1992
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ashley1992 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:16 pm

How did you remove the lower silver bits on the bumper ???
Bmw M240i

DerylGibson

Post by DerylGibson » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:20 am

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. Just watch how I'm playing there. I'm a pro. I think the best way to start playing at triplechance 777 com is this site. For sure, that place can't be bad. Gaming experience i all I need.

Return to “How To's”