Baby BMW Forum banner

Depo V1 Headlight Bi-Xenon Mod - UPDATED Page 1

38K views 124 replies 19 participants last post by  Ant_Smiggy120D 
#1 ·
Hi All,

A lot of you may have read through this post when I did it first time round, however as I revised them, I will revise this thread accordingly.

I have recently completed my second version of bi-xenons retrofitted into a set of my Depo V1 headlights. The light output was far too poor and virtually non existent in the rain in standard Depo's, so this will improve your visibility no end.

Before and after.

Back to the beginning. LED's in Depo V1's. Not the best.

First off, I bought a set of projectors from The Retro Fit Lab in the Netherlands. They are the H1 2.5" Projectors and also an H7 - H1 solenoid wiring harness so that full beam works the shutter.

I also had to make a new bracket / adapter plate for the projectors to be fitted into the original mounting holes of the headlights. I found this to be the most tricky part of the whole mod, but mostly everyone should be able to undertake this.

I bought some small bolts from B&Q to mount the plate to the projector then used the original bolts to mount that back to the headlight.

I started making a template bracket out of card so that I could adjust it to fit and change any errors I came by. This proved to be quite tricky as its not see through to which I had a bright idea to use an old milk bottle as its translucent, its much easier to see where the bolts need to be. one cut out and holes drilled through, I mocked it all up to see how they looked. After I was happy with how they sat and make sure they sit level. This will be how they sit when all fitted back on the car so this is quite important to get right! I cut out the final plate out of 3mm Perspex or Acrylic - which ever you prefer to call it. They can be bought pretty cheap on ebay. I went for clear as it would be easier to see through and work with, even though its hidden out of site it does really matter. (if you were a little more handy, you could make them out of steel or aluminium or similar, but I don't have those resources, but my way seems to work just fine!

Once this is all done, its just a matter of bolting the projector back into place and plugging in all the necessary bits and pieces, including the harness that I bought with the projectors. There doesn't seem to be any other place that sells them apart from Retrofitlab but making one isn't too tricky.

However...

I went a step further and split the headlights so that I could change the angel eyes. I thought the led bulbs which I switched out for the standard yellow bulbs looked crap in daylight. Not too bad at night, but still, you could see the 4 bulbs per ring and cheap was screaming out at me.

After splitting the lights which I placed in the oven at 120'c for around 7 minutes. (I do not take any responsibility for this if you copy this! You are not baking a cake, you are softening the sealant so it becomes soft and easier to split the lights)!!!

Angel eyes out, rings out, all bulbs out, as many of the wires out as you can just so you have a blank canvas to work with. I bought some COB LED rings from ebay. They are very bright. I was worried they wouldn't be very bright but i couldn't be more wrong. All my phone photos honestly in the dark just look like the headlights are on! haha. The inner ring is a 95mm ring which I found from China. The larger outer ring is 100mm and fits very snug, but does fit around the edge of the projector shroud. You will need to sand the end of the shroud very slightly so the ring sits back enough for the ring cover so slip over the top of. I sprayed the outer shroud black so that it matches with the OEM units and left the inner one chrome. Again, to match with the OEM look.

The rings are made with a gel coated top which is yellow. They still light up white, but the yellow is very visible. With a bit of playing around, I found out that if you spray a thin layer of white or primer spray paint on them, so it is consistent the still shine through very bright. This eliminates the yellow for when they are off and keeps everything looking as neat as possible.

You can see through the lens cover a yellow tinge.

Sprayed primer

Still bright

I have had some questions about what I did with my inner lens. First time around I covered it with a translucent plastic cover to give it that adaptive xenon look, however, my version looked a little tacky to me, so I changed it.

I updated it so that if you use another projector shroud, if you cut it down enough, it can sit on top of the halogen full beam edge. In this I fitted a glass lens from the old projectors out of the Depo's. It needs holding in place, so I hot glued it into place. Once set, that shroud can be suck into place. I used some resin glue for this as it's clear and not so thick/messy. Probably a lot stronger as well as it really smelt. Haha. Also, just to mention... I used some smoke black tint film to stick on the back of the glass so it matches the outer lens. You also cannot see through it vey clearly so nothing is given away when you look in.

With that all set in place, I soldered the angel eye wires together so they light up together, and snipped the old plug off the old angel eye wiring harness, soldered the rings to that, so it was just a matter of plugging them in. All bulbs put back in, I went to test them in the car. All worked as they should! I also noticed that you can test them with a 9v square battery. That provides enough power to light them up well.

With the inner lens in place, it has a flat back so reduced the depth of where the bulb can go. A standard H7 halogen bulb is too long by about 8mm. I searched for the smallest H7 bulbs that I could find and came across these. I didn't care if they didn't project light as I needed them to 'fill a gap' and also so you can flash people when your lights are off as I haven't figured out a way of tricking the xenons into flashing when they are off. Turns out they are plenty bright enough to look at, they just don't project it, which is fine.

For a cheapo H7 LED, I fitted a canbus load resistor so I wouldn't have any errors and all would work correctly. I also did the same for the angel eyes, although I don't know if this one was necessary as I didn't try without.

If all is good and everything works, which it did for me, I married the lens back up to the body and back in the oven for the same time. I bought some butyl on a roll. If you want, even though I don't think you have to, although I wanted to be extra sure they were sealed. Apply this around the edge of the light but stretch it as you put it in so its about 3mm thick. You only need a little to add in otherwise too much and it won't seal together properly.

You can see the spring preloaded shutter for the full beam solenoid - and the cut off.

4300k HID's because - Factory spec of course. (You will also need to change from H7 bulbs to H1's).

Beam cut off...

This is just rings believe it or not

And that concludes my write up. I can confirm everything works as it should, with no errors, flickering or issues. I had a little condensation on the first day of use which I drove 130 miles in the cold and heavy rain. Once they settled and had been in for a few days or so, they no longer mist up whatever weather. (Touch wood).

I have started offering my services for anyone who would like a set or their Depo's converting. Price will vary on what you want doing, but get in touch.

Cheers,

Toby

See less See more
#2 ·
Top man Toby ive been thinking about changing headlights for a while. I was thinking about using the oem ( xenon empty) housing and fitting the hids in to them but. As I've already got some depo v1 think il give this ago 1st mate gd how to pal :)

#3 ·
hmm making me want depo's again now

#5 ·
Good work Toby, I'd seriously suggest you offer these services to make something like this Toby and atleast 10 people on here would snap these up, myself included.

Maybe even we provide all materials and you add your costs on top?

Where do you live Toby?

2010 E82 125i modded by Babybmw.net

#7 ·
Ian83w said:
Top man Toby ive been thinking about changing headlights for a while. I was thinking about using the oem ( xenon empty) housing and fitting the hids in to them but. As I've already got some depo v1 think il give this ago 1st mate gd how to pal :)
That would be a good plan actually! Although probably still quite pricey to buy! May have to adjust the plug pins too! Yeah, see how you get on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Anish1993 said:
Any chance of a estimated total cost for the job..

Nice post.. Does look a lot harder than I thought it would be.
I would say it costs around £120 ish to do. I had to buy a couple of tools and bits and pieces though, so a little more for me.

It depends how handy you are really and if you have patience or not! Aha

#9 ·
Twenny said:
Good work Toby, I'd seriously suggest you offer these services to make something like this Toby and atleast 10 people on here would snap these up, myself included.

Maybe even we provide all materials and you add your costs on top?

Where do you live Toby?

2010 E82 125i modded by Babybmw.net
I honestly wouldn't mind doing it if people wanted it doing. I'd obviously have to charge a cost for doing it. I'm not sure how much places charge for retro fitting? Plus I guess it would depend on if you want the rings doing and gutting them really.

But if people do want this doing, obviously it works and I can do it if wanted.

I'm based in Exeter in Devon. Probably out of the way of most of you I suspect? Haa

#10 ·
Sonic1506 said:
Any condensation? I recall in another thread you mentioned you got some condensation?
Strangely enough, it's all cleared up. I even washed it yesterday and pressure washed around the lights and still nothing. Like I've said before though, they will be coming out again and I will be resealing them properly as a precaution!

#12 ·
Look great and look really OEM from the photos.

I think the only thing I would have done differently is changed the frosted inner cover for just the fish eye style that the OEM xenons have.

They almost look brighter than OEM as well!

#13 ·
0l0dom0l0 said:
Look great and look really OEM from the photos.

I think the only thing I would have done differently is changed the frosted inner cover for just the fish eye style that the OEM xenons have.

They almost look brighter than OEM as well!
Thanks for the positive feedback!

Basically took the plans from my head. I plan on improving the inner lens. It's good from a distance, but close up it looks a bit cheap. So a 'new' lens cover will be mocked up and replaced.

Really happy with the light output and Ring brightness though!!

#14 ·
Hi Toby mite sound a daft Qs but did remove all wiring before u put them in the oven. And another the temp does it have to be different for fan ovens as they get hotter with the fan blowing mate. Gona give this mod a go. were they easy enuf to line up. ( I no would still require setting up from mot centre ) I'm just in about the projector inside the headlight as once it's back in the car wouldn't be easy to adjust. I've been looking at mini h1 projectors on eBay not sure how good they are but look very similar to the ones you have in your setup.

#15 ·
Ian83w said:
Hi Toby mite sound a daft Qs but did remove all wiring before u put them in the oven. And another the temp does it have to be different for fan ovens as they get hotter with the fan blowing mate. Gona give this mod a go. were they easy enuf to line up. ( I no would still require setting up from mot centre ) I'm just in about the projector inside the headlight as once it's back in the car wouldn't be easy to adjust. I've been looking at mini h1 projectors on eBay not sure how good they are but look very similar to the ones you have in your setup.
Hello mate.

I removed all the ones I could. However, the ones connecting to the back of the plug on the internal of the headlight - leave them. They are heat glued in anyway.
I put them in at about 100'c for a few minutes and that's a fan oven as well. Just be careful like I was and you'll be fine.
I found it helpful that under the lights is a flat base. Use that to keep the light level then just align the projector and make sure that's sitting level. If you drill the holes in the adapter plate a little larger, there's more room to adjust.
I think it depends on the quality of the shield and the shutter/cut off. When I compared that to the depo projector, it's a big difference in the step of the cut off.
I know there are cheaper options out there, but I didn't want to scrimp on them as I was worried they'd be just as terrible as the Depo's.

#16 ·
Right all.

I will be revising my lights in the next week and with a bit of luck, no errors will appear on the dash with a new bit of kit. They will also look even more of a match to OEM.

If you would be interested in me getting a set made up for you, put your name forward, so I can gather who would want this doing. I can then figure out pricing and a time scale.

You will also be able to see the updated finish in the coming days.

Cheers,
Toby.

#18 ·
Hi Toby was thinking which led rings they use in the v2. as they shud be a perfect fit. no need to trim the inner ring. Looking forward to see the new revision mate.

#19 ·
Another one Toby I've been looking at the projectors were u got yours from. and there is quite a few different ones which did you use mate. And can you remember which seller u got the rings from. as when I've been looking different sellers for the different sizes. and worried about the colour been different in them.
Thanks Ian

#20 ·
Ian83w said:
Another one Toby I've been looking at the projectors were u got yours from. and there is quite a few different ones which did you use mate. And can you remember which seller u got the rings from. as when I've been looking different sellers for the different sizes. and worried about the colour been different in them.
Thanks Ian
I can't get hold of the V2 rings unfortunately. Maybe through Depo with a long winded conversation but it's probably more hassle than it's worth.

Mine are Mini H1 5.0. The seller for the rings is called yoopar. I think they'd all be the same colour though. Maybe best to go for 95mm from China for the inner as you only get them in 10's here...

#24 ·
Sonic1506 said:
TobyE82 said:
Sonic1506 said:
When you say set, do you mean the lights + conversion or just conversion?
The conversion. Although there may be a good chance I will be able to convert the halogens also!
Hey bud, sorry I wasn't clear, I meant the depo lights AND the conversion. Splitting the factory Halogens is a ballache I'm led to understand.
I can do what I've done to my Depo's if you wanted. Splitting them and also changing the projector to a Bi-xenon one.

I may get ahold of a used halogen to see what can be done with them! Then offer that service to save forking out for Depo's to people who don't own a set.

#25 ·
I'd have thought it might be challenging to mount the projector securely and neatly in a halogen assembly due to the projector being a smaller diameter than the reflector. This is without looking closely or making any measurements, though...!

#26 ·
aj_mckay said:
I'd have thought it might be challenging to mount the projector securely and neatly in a halogen assembly due to the projector being a smaller diameter than the reflector. This is without looking closely or making any measurements, though...!
You are right to an extent. Many of us have lights from headlight retrofits that has done the projector conversion in Halogens successfully. I have problems with my ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.