Retrofit Cruise Control

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Giggs
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Retrofit Cruise Control

Post by Giggs » Sun May 14, 2017 4:02 am

Hi, I'm looking to retrofit cruise control in my 116i e87 2008, I was just wondering if i get the stalker, slip ring, lower cover all installed without the coding straight away can i still drive normally? also what about the other way around theres no way of coding for it before installing? any help is greatly appreciated.
2008 E87 116i N43 - 130i Back box, Cruise Control Retrofit, M Sport Steering Wheel, Gear knob and Handbrake, BMWP Grills, Professional Radio, Smoked repeaters, Stubby Ariel, Black and White Badges.

Nottsknots
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Retrofit Cruise Control

Post by Nottsknots » Sun May 14, 2017 8:18 am

It will drive without coding, but without getting the steering angle sensor reset, you wont have some of the safety features (E.g. DSC), and the steering wont self-centre (and not sure, but I dont think indicators will self cancel). I wouldnt want to drive for too long like that, and would want to be careful.

No idea if coding beforehand would work, or throw up any errors if the parts arent there.

Fitted mine and drove 20 miles to someone with kit for coding it, as I didnt have confidence at the time.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Cabbie
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Cabbie » Sun May 14, 2017 10:49 am

Do you need MFSW? Where abouts are you?

I have a set of cruise stalks without MSFW I can fit for you (if you want help and are local enough) with lower cover that Wibbles can code remotely for you or I can give it a bash, but I am not in the same league as him and would prefer you had him do it. I did mine more by trial and luck :)
I have the cables and laptop set up etc. For him to connect to as well.

I was just about to start taking photos and listing them.

I also have a set with MFSW, but I think they are faulty as I can't get the DSC code error to clear.

The non MFSW ones clear perfectly though.
55 Reg Quartzblau E87 118d
So far added Parrot and Connects2 and swapped the badges for black...
No M badges though :)
Lots more coming... Gimme a chance, only just got it.

Cabbie
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Cabbie » Sun May 14, 2017 10:51 am

You can code beforehand and it will have no ill effect, however, you will still need to reset the DSC after fitting which is a 2 minute job.

Giggs
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Giggs » Sun May 14, 2017 2:33 pm

Cabbie wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 10:49 am

I have a set of cruise stalks without MSFW I can fit for you (if you want help and are local enough) with lower cover that Wibbles can code remotely for you or I can give it a bash, but I am not in the same league as him and would prefer you had him do it. I did mine more by trial and luck :)

I also have a set with MFSW, but I think they are faulty as I can't get the DSC code error to clear.

Im in East London don't mind travelling a little bit, I dont know if i need MFSW what is that??? if i dont need it i will happily come to you for the part and fitting then ask wibbles to code it.
2008 E87 116i N43 - 130i Back box, Cruise Control Retrofit, M Sport Steering Wheel, Gear knob and Handbrake, BMWP Grills, Professional Radio, Smoked repeaters, Stubby Ariel, Black and White Badges.

Cabbie
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Cabbie » Sun May 14, 2017 2:44 pm

It is the multifunction steering wheel... The volume buttons etc.

To be specific... This one is:
Non-auto wipers
Yes rear wiper
Non auto headlights
Non-MFSW

I do have another one that is MFSW, but I couldn't get the DSC code to clear, so either I am doing something stupid or it is faulty, which I am told is quite common. If someone wants a bash using that one, willing to let that one go really cheap, but no guarantees on that one.

The Non-MFSW one code clears just fine.

Giggs
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Giggs » Sun May 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Oh sorry I need the MFSW then, since i use the buttons quite often and i do have adaptive wipers

Cabbie
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Cabbie » Sun May 14, 2017 3:09 pm

No worries. I am in the same boat :)

acanais59

Post by acanais59 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:41 am

Cabbie wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 10:49 am

I have a set of cruise stalks without MSFW I can fit for you (if you want help and are local enough) with lower cover that Wibbles can code remotely for you or I can give it a bash, but I am not in the same league as him and would prefer you had him do it mutuelles TNS. I did mine more by trial and luck :)

Cool d'avoir partagé toute cette information avec nous. Merci beaucoup.

Return to “How To's”