120d 07' Passenger Airbag Light?

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Aza1022

120d 07' Passenger Airbag Light?

Post by Aza1022 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi all,
I am very aware that this has been covered on multiple forums before... However, i wanted to check something.

When the key is in the ignition, the passenger airbag light pops up (briefly) on the dash AND on the roof light (by the rear view mirror). Once I start the engine both lights disappear. The airbag switch is in the ON position.

I also had a friend check with a snap on sollus diag, and error code '93BB' = seatbelt catch contact, passenger wad displayed. He tried to clear this, but no change.

Is my next step an emulator...?

Any help/advice would be greatly received 😎👌🏼

Nottsknots
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: 120d 07' Passenger Airbag Light?

Post by Nottsknots » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Both lights coming on for 4-5 seconds then going off is normal.Dont even have to start the engine for them to go off.

That error code is not the usual seat occupancy one, so an emulator is pointless; what you have is a fault on the switch inside the seatbelt clip (the bit the buckle clips into when you put the seatbelt on).

First off, check the connector under the seat is properly connected. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, AND WAIT 20 MINS (this is a "1 cup of tea" job) BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, OTHERWISE YOU WILL MESS UP THE SEATBELT WARNING. Then root around under the passenger seat and I'd suggest unplug and reconnect the plug (maybe blow in it to clear any dust). After reconnecting, then reconnect the battery (the only thing you'll need to do is reset the time).

If it 'aint the plug, then it is probably the switch itself (could be debris in the clip - try vacuuming it out (in fact, do that before p!ssing about with the battery :D ), or could actually be a faultly clip that needs replacing).

What I dont know is whether the car does anything different with the airbag if it detects an occupant but thinks they are not wearing a seatbelt. In the US, many cars fire a second stage to account for the need to apply greater restraint to an occupant without a seatbelt (lets ignore the lardy drive thro compensation on top :lol: ). If our beemers do the same, you wouldnt want to be on the receiving end of that whilst also strapped in with the belt - airbags hurt at the best of times, and being smacked in the face extra hard is not fun.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Aza1022

Post by Aza1022 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:37 am

Yo! Thanks very much for taking the time to write a deece reply. That's much appreciated! Im glad (in some ways,) my question wasnt as straight forward as it may have originally appeared!
Ill have a faff with the steps you have mentioned... Ill update once I know more!

Aza1022

Post by Aza1022 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:32 am

I am bumping this post to ask a quick question. I have done the above steps and still no joy. My MOT is due in August and wondered whether this issue will lead to a fail?

Thanks all 😎

Aza1022

Post by Aza1022 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:30 am

Also... I may have taken the yellow plug apart (before disconnecting battery) prior to the above reply.... Pointers?!

Return to “BMW Problems”