118d DSC/TPM/ABS warning lights showing

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Jem2369

118d DSC/TPM/ABS warning lights showing

Post by Jem2369 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:47 am

Hi,

My DSC light (Yellow triangle with ! in the middle) has started to flash on after around 30 to minutes driving.
It gets to a point where it's so supper sensitive it's flashing (and braking) all the time along my normal commute, so I'm having to turn it off.

Now the tyre pressure light is coming on too. I've checked the pressure of all tyres and they were all as expected as I only topped them up 2 weeks ago, so reset the indicator, only for it come back on after a few miles. If this wasn't enough the ABS warning and brake warning are also being displayed.

I'm assuming it's the same sensor which controls the DTS and tyre pressure and so are all the other lights just down to a faulty sensor?

I'd appreciate some help here, as the dash is looking a bit like a Christmas tree, and I'd like to know it's still safe to drive whilst I get a garage slot booked up.

Thanks,
JEM2369
118d M-Sport 09 plate

Thunderpigeon

Re: 118d DSC/TPM/ABS warning lights showing

Post by Thunderpigeon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:52 am

It could be in part to the abs reluctor ring. If the traction control is turned off its goes away. Obviously, the downside (if you want to call it that ;)) is no traction control but you can still drive the car without issue unless you drive like a moron!

The abs light, could be the abs pump. Can't remember the exact part but reconditioned ones on eBay are approx £200. Mine went 3 days after a brake fluid change.

Get the car booked in at the garage, but not BMW. For the reluctor ring I've read they want to give you a whole new drive train in exchange for £1500ish. An indi will do a new sensor. Much cheaper!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:53 am

For the meantime, I'd turn it off as you have been, and carry on cautiously. Obviously take care during slippery conditions or you'll end up in a hedge.

The most likely cause is one (or both) Reluctor rings corroding. They expand when rust forms under them, which then causes contact with it's sensor (ABS / wheel speed sensor).

I'd check both rings for bright spots (witnesses of contact), and proceed from there. New 1 Series rings are very cheap (£5) on eBay, or you can get complete new pattern driveshafts for about £65 each. Plus new sensor/s.

Search 'Reluctor' on here for lots more info.

HTH
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Jem2369

Post by Jem2369 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

I have been taking it easy when driving. - It's really hard not to when there are warning lights showing, even if you know there isn't really an issue.

I'll book it into my local independent and see what they find.

Thanks,
Jem2369
118d M-Sport 09 plate

Return to “BMW Problems”