E87 116i No power when accelerating, oil temp excessive

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster

Stinaris

E87 116i No power when accelerating, oil temp excessive

Post by Stinaris » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:50 pm

My trusty E87 116i (115bhp) has just tipped over the 158,000 mile mark and has behaviour whereby I put my foot down and very little happens (much less than normal :-)

There is no engine management light, the car still runs smoothly but on reading the DTC's it suggests that the engine temperature is sometimes too high.

The live data reports the oil temperature reading 148, -42, 23 (degrees C) within the space of about 1 minute. Interestingly the coolant temperature was remarkably stable and, as far as I could tell, correct.

Ah ha, so it's the oil temperature sensor I thought............But it appears to be the same sensor as the Coolant !?!?!? #Confused.com

Any thoughts?

Stinaris

Re: E87 116i No power when accelerating, oil temp excessive

Post by Stinaris » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:08 pm

I've ordered a new temp sensor. I'll see if it makes a difference.

Stinaris

Post by Stinaris » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:36 am

Hopefully after all the snow and life getting in the way I can take swap out the temp sensor.

The DTC errors also include unable to activate the engine fan. I've checked the fuse, need to also check the fan.

What's also odd about the power delivery is sometimes it comes back? Vert weird.

Stinaris

Post by Stinaris » Wed May 16, 2018 4:55 pm

I've been driving it round like this for a while, modifying my driving style to suit.

However I finally had time to think. So I decided to solve the actual current problems.

So I removed the fan and would you believe it the Control module wasn't getting power due to a corroded lead. Nothing really left to attach too so bought an after market fan and fitted it. Took a hour longer than expected because my bonnet pull no longer works.

Anyway all power returned to normal and the car runs like a dream.

Return to “BMW Problems”