E87 120d key fob doesn't work. Battery replaced. Central lock works via button on dashboard.

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

mantego

E87 120d key fob doesn't work. Battery replaced. Central lock works via button on dashboard.

Post by mantego » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:57 am

Another problem.

Key-fob doesn't lock/unlock the car.
Firstly I received a warning light that key is on low battery. But the key worked perfectly. After some time warning light disappeared and I couldn't lock or unlock the car. So I thought it was a battery, because central locking button on dash works perfectly.
1. Battery was changed;
2. After some research in google I tried to check fuses (2, 19, 56, 57, 53) and they are all in good shape;

Do you have any ideas how to solve this problem?

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: E87 120d key fob doesn't work. Battery replaced. Central lock works via button on dashboard.

Post by Nottsknots » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Does the fob allow the car to start? Is the problem JUST with opening/closing, or is it ALSO with starting?

There are several potential issues, and you've dealt with two (battery and fuses).

The fob may have got out of sync with the CAS; if you can get it to work to start the car, then it should resync.

As the lock button on the dash works, there no problem with the mechanism itself; that probably narrows it to the antenna/receiver.
Last edited by Nottsknots on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Octavius

Re: E87 120d key fob doesn't work. Battery replaced. Central lock works via button on dashboard.

Post by Octavius » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:11 pm

Try the spare fob. If that works okay then you have your answer.
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

Poormans
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Poormans » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:17 pm

Apparently in a e87 the rear view mirror is part of the receiver system. Might be something to check if for no good reason, no fob will do anything remotely.
shooting brake

mantego

Post by mantego » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:14 am

Guys, thank's for help.

The fob allows to start a car and the problem exist only with opnening/closing. As I sayed before central locking button on dash works perfectlly.

I don't have a spare fob to try it, but I tryed to change a rear view mirror - ir didn't helped.

Any other ideas how to solve it? It's really anoying to open car with key on winter.

Looking forward to hear some other advises. Thank you!

Jonw246
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Jonw246 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:02 am

Did you put a cheap battery in or a expensive one? I’ve had trouble with cheap ones not working very well in the past so always buy an expensive genuine Duracell/Panasonic battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mantego

Post by mantego » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:57 am

The battery was not cheap, I think it was duracell.
I've read in another thread that I can try changing a diversity sensor? Where I should look for it?

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:40 pm

"Aerial amplifier with aerial diversity for FM
The aerial amplifier compensates for losses that occur in the aerial line. The aerial diversity function makes available the signal from the aerial with the best reception to the radio.

E81, E87
The aerial amplifier for the FM aerial (FM 1) and for AM aerial is located in the base of the rod aerial.

The aerial amplifier with aerial diversity for the FM 2 to FM 4 aerials is installed on the inside of the boot lid above the rear window in the area of the auxiliary brake light."

From https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e87- ... ms/1od6sFx, just over half way down.

I doubt that'll be your problem, but no harm looking :)

Also, try reading this lot - including links within; some possible diagnostics and solutions for you
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e87- ... on/2skcXTi
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

mantego

Post by mantego » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:16 am

Nottsknots, thanks for the links. It is very useful information.
I have ordered used aerial amplifier, it should be delivered tomorrow. I think I will be able to change it on weekend, after that i will inform you all :)

Thank you!
Nottsknots wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:40 pm
The aerial amplifier compensates for losses that occur in the aerial line. The aerial diversity function makes available the signal from the aerial with the best reception to the radio.

E81, E87
The aerial amplifier for the FM aerial (FM 1) and for AM aerial is located in the base of the rod aerial.

The aerial amplifier with aerial diversity for the FM 2 to FM 4 aerials is installed on the inside of the boot lid above the rear window in the area of the auxiliary brake light."

From https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e87- ... ms/1od6sFx, just over half way down.

Also, try reading this lot - including links within; some possible diagnostics and solutions for you

Bunford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Bunford » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:37 pm

mantego wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:16 am
Nottsknots, thanks for the links. It is very useful information.
I have ordered used aerial amplifier, it should be delivered tomorrow. I think I will be able to change it on weekend, after that i will inform you all :)

Thank you!
Nottsknots wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:40 pm

E81, E87

I have the exact same problem with my vehicle at the moment that seemed to have started after recently installing an after market stereo. I have taken the same steps in checking fuses and rrplacing key fob battery, replaced rear view mirror with known to be working E87 one and also just ordered a new (used but working) diversity antenna amplifier as a last resort before I am completely confuddled.

The extra bits of info I have is that I also have a second key and it is the same issue on both. Both keys have also been tested by a garage and are putting out strong 868Hz signals so no issue with the keys. The manual key also unlocks and locks the central locking mechanism normally, so Jo issues there, and the key is recognised by the car and starts etc. I have also done a Carly Pro and a professional garage diagnostic on it and both come up with a "DWA-LED defect" fault, even though I know it is not as it is the same on two mirror units.

Have you done any diagnostic scan on your car?

Oh, and also one thing I have discovered (I think, but not convinced) on my car is that when I put auto wiper on it seems to just wipe every 6 or 7 seconds regardless of how heavy the rain is. This might be me looking for something that's not there, but wondering if this means it a power supply issue in some way from the the headliner dome light to the rear view mirror cluster (which is also where the rain sensor is). You noticed anything like this in your vehicle?
2005 BMW E87 118D Sport in Black Sapphire

Upgraded to M Sport LCI interior and exterior, engine remap and backbox delete with custom twin sport exhaust installed

Return to “BMW Problems”