Car won't start and auto gear stuck in park

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

slikt
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Car won't start and auto gear stuck in park

Post by slikt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:52 pm

Help please!!! :?

Our 118i automatic 2012reg (F series) with 58k mileage is not starting. I’m told by the other half that the last time she drove it, it was vibrating up with drivetrain error.

Now the car will not start but ticks as if it wants to start but just does not start. There is plenty battery power as all lights, radio etc works.

The AA mechanic has been and tried all their usual tricks (cleared fault codes etc) but could not get it started. He tried to get it towed away to local BMW however this was not possible.

Problem is that the automatic gear is in park and we cannot get it out of park and into neutral. I guess the reason for this is that the car does not start therefore the gear does not shift out of park. Therefore the AA recovery guy could not tow it. I’m told I now need a tow truck to lift the car and place it on the truck which will cost extra as I don’t have this level of cover with AA.

Does anyone know how to make the gear change from park to neutral with engine not running?

Thanking you in advance for your help :)

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Car won't start and auto gear stuck in park

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Have a read of your manual, it should detail how to physically get the PoS into Neutral.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Uncle Tupelo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:38 pm

I was interested in this as I have an auto and it may happen to me some day - I couldn't quite believe what I found out, but the only way to get it into neutral with no power appears to be to remove the covers from the underside of the car and screw in an allen bolt from underneath which xixes the box into neutral and allows the car to be pulled onto a flatbed truck. The other option (I understand 0 but check first particularly if you have an x-drive) is to place a wheeled dolly under each rear wheel and then tow the car up on the dollies so the rear wheels don't turn. I believe this works with x-drives too as the front drive is viscously rather than mechanically coupled - but check first, don't take my word. This video demonstrates the technique, albeit not on a 1-series - not easy in the field. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y975NrRn0U

Do not allow anyone to attempt the move the car without raising the rear wheels onto dollies - it will damage the gearbox.

Probably not what you wanted to near ...
2016 220d Sport xDrive auto.

slikt
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by slikt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:25 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 pm
Have a read of your manual, it should detail how to physically get the PoS into Neutral.
I have checked the manual that came with my car and on page 63 it states "it is only possible to move from transmission position P with the engine running and the brake pressed"

I was hoping that there may be another trick to make it happen. I've read another manual online which demonstrates how to disengage park by removing gear enclosure etc. But this does not seem to apply to mine.

Looks like a job for the town truck, hopefully they can lift it and place on the truck otherwise don't know what else to do.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Put the rear wheels on special skates/dollies?

Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

slikt
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by slikt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:43 pm

We finally managed to get the car moved by putting skates underneath the rear wheels to push car out of the driveway. It was then loaded onto the tow truck and dumped at local BMW on Saturday evening.

After their 1st diagnosis which apparatus took longer than an hour, they don't have anything conclusive to report. I was told that the engineer reckons there could be an issue with the on board computer which could cost around £1,500 to replace. They asked for my permission to pay for another hour of diagnosis to perform further checks in oder to find out if there's something else causing the issue.

Return to “BMW Problems”