MOT Advisory: Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Post Reply
User avatar
fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

MOT Advisory: Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint

Post by fez_7 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:21 pm

As per the above title, I watched the MOT tester at Kwik Fit check my car and it seemed like he couldn’t make his mind up regarding this advisory. He would keep going back to the front driver’s side wheel and shaking it and eventually he called 2 of his colleagues over who did the same. This is the only advisory.

Admittedly about a week before the test I unfortunately struck a kerb with the same wheel due to an emergency situation. I was braking at the same time so was probably only going about 20mph max. but luckily there was no visual damage to the wheel and I’ve not felt any difference in steering.

Obviously it’s only an advisory and not a fail but do you think I should look to get this sorted ASAP or might I be able to get away with not doing anything and it might not even come up on next year’s MOT? I’ve not noticed any difference in steering and there’s certainly no knocking noises etc.

What worries me is the cost of getting it repaired/replaced as I would only want to use genuine parts. If I do need to take action would it be better to get both front wheels checked and then would I need wheel alignment? Any ideas on how much I’d be looking at?
2013 116D EfficientDynamics

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 50583
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: MOT Advisory: Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint

Post by marco_polo » Tue May 22, 2018 2:36 pm

If you have play in a track rod, it's not going to get better by itself. If they've passed it it's not immediately dangerous, but I'd put it on your To-Do list. Ask your local friendly BMW independent specialist for a quote, it will need the front tracking reset afterwards. Price will depend on their hourly rate.

N.B. I wouldn't get too hung up on a genuine BMW part, as BMW don't make any track rods themselves. They buy them in from someone like TRW, then double the price. As long as it's a good quality replacement I'd be perfectly happy personally.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:52 pm
Location: Devon

Re: MOT Advisory: Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint

Post by swanny71 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:03 pm

Just a thought:
Could be that this was a “borderline” pass since he had to get 2nd and 3rd opinion? Therefore needing attention sooner rather than later?
Current: 130i & 1M
Previous: Exige V6, TVR's, e90 M3, 156 GTA, 182 Trophy, 306 GTi-6 + others (some crap, some not so crap)

User avatar
fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Re: MOT Advisory: Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint

Post by fez_7 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:21 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:36 pm
If you have play in a track rod, it's not going to get better by itself. If they've passed it it's not immediately dangerous, but I'd put it on your To-Do list. Ask your local friendly BMW independent specialist for a quote, it will need the front tracking reset afterwards. Price will depend on their hourly rate.

N.B. I wouldn't get too hung up on a genuine BMW part, as BMW don't make any track rods themselves. They buy them in from someone like TRW, then double the price. As long as it's a good quality replacement I'd be perfectly happy personally.
Cheers MP, I’ll just ring around for quotes then.
2013 116D EfficientDynamics

User avatar
fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Re: MOT Advisory: Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint

Post by fez_7 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:23 pm

swanny71 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:03 pm
Just a thought:
Could be that this was a “borderline” pass since he had to get 2nd and 3rd opinion? Therefore needing attention sooner rather than later?
Good point. I was hoping it was a borderline advisory instead hence the other opinions but now you mention it...

If it was almost a fail though I thought I would feel some play or difference in the steering?
2013 116D EfficientDynamics

AP1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: MOT Advisory: Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint

Post by AP1 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:03 pm

If it’s an F20 there’s a new inner rod on eBay for £30 gen BMW.

User avatar
fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Re: MOT Advisory: Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint

Post by fez_7 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:13 pm

AP1 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:03 pm
If it’s an F20 there’s a new inner rod on eBay for £30 gen BMW.
Thanks for letting me know! Will this definitely be what I need though or could it be anything else?

Do you have the link as I’ve just searched but couldn’t find it.
2013 116D EfficientDynamics

ReGenesis
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 892
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:03 am
Location: Under your bed...

Re: MOT Advisory: Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint

Post by ReGenesis » Tue May 22, 2018 7:51 pm

If it’s an F20/21 then we all know they have play as a factory fresh build!
It’s designed in and only goes with the engine running so if yours was off then he’s not tested it properly.
You did say Kwikfit.....
F21 135i pre-lci, AW, 3dr, CR, HK and an ever increasing toy list :D

For sale - pm me for more detail!

User avatar
fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Re: MOT Advisory: Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint

Post by fez_7 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:14 pm

ReGenesis wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:51 pm
If it’s an F20/21 then we all know they have play as a factory fresh build!
It’s designed in and only goes with the engine running so if yours was off then he’s not tested it properly.
You did say Kwikfit.....
Pretty sure the engine was running and this is why I wonder whether he was just being picky. The reason I go with Kwik Fit for MOT’s is they only charge £25 and they’ve been fine for me in the past (although this was a new branch). Guess I’ll have to get a specialist to take a look at some point anyway.
2013 116D EfficientDynamics

AP1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: MOT Advisory: Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint

Post by AP1 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:06 am

fez_7 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:13 pm
AP1 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:03 pm
If it’s an F20 there’s a new inner rod on eBay for £30 gen BMW.
Thanks for letting me know! Will this definitely be what I need though or could it be anything else?

Do you have the link as I’ve just searched but couldn’t find it.
Item no: 253596288297

User avatar
fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Re: MOT Advisory: Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint

Post by fez_7 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:32 pm

AP1 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:06 am
fez_7 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:13 pm
AP1 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:03 pm
If it’s an F20 there’s a new inner rod on eBay for £30 gen BMW.
Thanks for letting me know! Will this definitely be what I need though or could it be anything else?

Do you have the link as I’ve just searched but couldn’t find it.
Item no: 253596288297
Top man.
2013 116D EfficientDynamics

Post Reply

Return to “BMW Problems”