BMW 120D F20 Buzzing noise when touching accelerator !!

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Grant-92

BMW 120D F20 Buzzing noise when touching accelerator !!

Post by Grant-92 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:14 pm

Good Evening All,

After years of owning Audis I have finally bought my first BMW at the weekend and its brilliant. Such a nice car to drive and look at.

However...

After getting home and taking it for a good drive to find out more about the car I have noticed a strange noise coming from the engine bay, when I touch the accelerator pedal it makes a slight buzzing sound from the engine. I don't even need to put the car under any load just touch it ever so slightly and it makes the noise.

At first I thought it may be the dreaded timing chain but that would mean a constant noise even at idle. But this is more of an electrical/fuel system related issue due to the accelerator pedal. I removed all potential plastic covers from the engine bay and it still makes this noise. Is this just a normal BMW engine noise but I'm picking it out or has anyone else came across this sound before.

Any information would be greatly appritiated.

Thanks

Grant-92

Re: BMW 120D F20 Buzzing noise when touching accelerator !!

Post by Grant-92 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:16 pm

May I also add that the sound stay very consistent regardless of engine speed.

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Nottsknots » Mon May 28, 2018 8:26 pm

Only non-engine related buzzing I've had was a pine needle in the cabin vent fan. The fan gets slightly faster when the system voltage rises as the alternator kicks in. Try turning the fan off on the vent controls and see if it goes away.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Grant-92

Post by Grant-92 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:19 am

I have tried to turn off the blower and AC but the noise is still there between around 1400-2000rpm. Once it gets to 4th gear it usually goes away. I definitely think this is an electrical buzzing noise of some sort.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue May 29, 2018 8:19 am

Doesn't sound right at all.

The injectors will click (audible if you remove the engine cover), but nothing should be buzzing. I'd take it back to the dealership quick.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Grant-92

Post by Grant-92 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:58 am

I work as a Parts Manager for a Peugeot dealership and we currently have a 120D Msport Auto in our stock. I will ask to take this out later on and see if it also makes the same noise. I am very pernickety and can pick up the slightest noise etc so maybe it's just me. I will keep you posted.........

Return to “BMW Problems”