Clutch Judder?

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

ftb101
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Clutch Judder?

Post by ftb101 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:32 am

M4XRD wrote:Just heard from the dealer and they have informed me that they will be replacing the flywheel but not the clutch. Is this normal practice or should the clutch be replaced?
Well, BMW replaced my clutch several times whilst my car was in warranty. Sometimes they replaced just the clutch and other times both the clutch and flywheel. However, my car was much lower mileage than yours. I wonder if they only replaced your flywheel as they have plausible deniability in the form of 'wear and tear' with regard to your clutch? Or it could be that a revised clutch is simply still not available for the 123d.....did you ask whether it was?
bigfoot wrote:my clutch judder has got noticeably worse in the last 2 weeks. I'm sure the cold / damp conditions make it worse, but not sure why.

P*sses me off that a car that cost me 17k does this, I'm fed up with chasing BMW on it and getting the usual software update run around. It's even had a new clutch but still the same.

I thought I read a few months back there was a damper kit to fix the issue?
Yes that's right. In fact, it's a revised clutch with a damper incorporated, so they replace the whole clutch as opposed to a kit type fix.
Alpine White E87 123d ///M Sport

bigfoot

Post by bigfoot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:00 am

they replaced the whole assembly, flywheel + clutch. This was over a year ago though so the revised version wouldn't have been available.

So are you saying with the new version this problem should now be finally cured?

M4XRD

Post by M4XRD » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:00 am

ftb101 wrote:
M4XRD wrote:Just heard from the dealer and they have informed me that they will be replacing the flywheel but not the clutch. Is this normal practice or should the clutch be replaced?
Well, BMW replaced my clutch several times whilst my car was in warranty. Sometimes they replaced just the clutch and other times both the clutch and flywheel. However, my car was much lower mileage than yours. I wonder if they only replaced your flywheel as they have plausible deniability in the form of 'wear and tear' with regard to your clutch? Or it could be that a revised clutch is simply still not available for the 123d.....did you ask whether it was?
bigfoot wrote:my clutch judder has got noticeably worse in the last 2 weeks. I'm sure the cold / damp conditions make it worse, but not sure why.

P*sses me off that a car that cost me 17k does this, I'm fed up with chasing BMW on it and getting the usual software update run around. It's even had a new clutch but still the same.

I thought I read a few months back there was a damper kit to fix the issue?
Yes that's right. In fact, it's a revised clutch with a damper incorporated, so they replace the whole clutch as opposed to a kit type fix.
They just said that there was nothing wrong with the clutch. I presume its the updated version otherwise the issue will reoccur.
F20 - M135i
E82 - 123d M Sport

ftb101
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ftb101 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:02 pm

bigfoot wrote:they replaced the whole assembly, flywheel + clutch. This was over a year ago though so the revised version wouldn't have been available.

So are you saying with the new version this problem should now be finally cured?
Model dependant, yes. I don't believe there is a revised clutch available for the 123d, but for the 120d and 118d there is and it cures the problem.
M4XRD wrote: They just said that there was nothing wrong with the clutch. I presume its the updated version otherwise the issue will reoccur.
Yes and indeed it does. I have lost count of the number of clutches I have had now. I think I am on the fourth one but I am now out of manufacturers warranty. I do have insured warranty and feel I could push for another clutch replacement, but what's the point if it is the same part over and over again? BMW UK assured me that Germany were working on a revised clutch for the 123d, but the longer time goes on the less I believe that statement.

125i-ross
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 125i-ross » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:48 pm

What are my chances of getting my clutch replaced at 60k miles?

I have the bmw extended warranty, its most likely no chance but just wondered if anyone else had any luck?

It may just be my driving, i feel like i have to be really careful to get a smooth gear change. My old corsa did 100k on the one clutch and it was better than my current car!

ftb101
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ftb101 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:20 pm

125i-ross wrote:What are my chances of getting my clutch replaced at 60k miles?

I have the bmw extended warranty, its most likely no chance but just wondered if anyone else had any luck?

It may just be my driving, i feel like i have to be really careful to get a smooth gear change. My old corsa did 100k on the one clutch and it was better than my current car!
Are you sure that you are not feeling the effects of the CDV? Clutch judder usually manifests itself on hill starts, cold starts, starts in damp weather etc. Due to the nature of the problem it is usually only felt in the lower gears - 1st, maybe 2nd and reverse. A jerky or jolty gear change is nearly always the CDV.

125i-ross
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 125i-ross » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:19 am

ftb101 wrote:
125i-ross wrote:What are my chances of getting my clutch replaced at 60k miles?

Are you sure that you are not feeling the effects of the CDV? Clutch judder usually manifests itself on hill starts, cold starts, starts in damp weather etc. Due to the nature of the problem it is usually only felt in the lower gears - 1st, maybe 2nd and reverse. A jerky or jolty gear change is nearly always the CDV.
I think you may be correct, is there any fix for this or is this just the way it is?

From what you have said i have had the judder maybe once or twice so no issue there. Does the clutch use the brake fluid to operate, its flagged up so needs changing soon.

ftb101
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ftb101 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:41 pm

125i-ross wrote:I think you may be correct, is there any fix for this or is this just the way it is?

From what you have said i have had the judder maybe once or twice so no issue there. Does the clutch use the brake fluid to operate, its flagged up so needs changing soon.
Yes, I think the brake fluid and clutch fluid are one and the same. It is just the way the CDV is. It is essentially a nanny mechanism and works by restricting the flow of clutch fluid to slow down the potential speed that the clutch facings come together. It supposedly helps prevent as much damage occurring to the clutch should you go around dropping it from every set of lights. However, many forum members have modded the valve by knocking out the insides so there is little to no restriction. It is very easy to do, just look at this thread. The best bit is that, from the outside, it looks totally standard. Most buy a CDV from the dealer (they're pretty cheap), mod it and then swap it with the original on the car.

H7ayd
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by H7ayd » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Has anyone who has had the revised clutch fitted started to experience judder again ?
I had the new clutch fitted around four months ago to my 118d Msport and have recently noticed the judder again intermitantly.

Previous: 2010 118d M Sport 3dr
Previously: 2005 120D ES 5dr

kandymans
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by kandymans » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:20 am

H7ayd, I have to admit, I had the revised clutch fitted and like you I've recently noticed some judder....but also intermittent. Not sure if I should contact BMW now or wait till it gets more frequent.

bigfoot

Post by bigfoot » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:06 pm

hmmmm... not what I want to hear. Mines currently in for the new clutch, although they reckon they have to strip it down and send BMW photos before they can get authorization for the parts. They also said they could not remove the previous software updates :?:

Was looking forward to having the new one series for loan car - instead got the mini :( that was after they tried to fleece me £24 to reset the service indicator light (I can do it myself for free in under 30 seconds!!!!!)

I've never been back to a dealership so many times in my life......... you'd think I'd hate the car by now, but to be honest I still love to drive it.

Lee_2f2f
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Lee_2f2f » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:37 pm

H7ayd wrote:Has anyone who has had the revised clutch fitted started to experience judder again ?
I had the new clutch fitted around four months ago to my 118d Msport and have recently noticed the judder again intermitantly.
Nope and mine is like 25,000 miles in on The revised clutch now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gone: 09' 120d MSport, catched at 198bhp, Miltek, K&N, CSL Reps, BMWP parts, coding, & more.
Now: 05' E46 318ci Cabrio, dark Bloo, many options, and mods will come in time.

Lee_2f2f

Post by Lee_2f2f » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:39 pm

bigfoot wrote:hmmmm... not what I want to hear. Mines currently in for the new clutch, although they reckon they have to strip it down and send BMW photos before they can get authorization for the parts. They also said they could not remove the previous software
That's correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gone: 09' 120d MSport, catched at 198bhp, Miltek, K&N, CSL Reps, BMWP parts, coding, & more.
Now: 05' E46 318ci Cabrio, dark Bloo, many options, and mods will come in time.

Blades1977
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Blades1977 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:51 pm

Dealer has replaced cutch with 'modified clutch kit'.

Initially had the rev increase fix, now idles at <1000 revs with very smooth clutch.

Don't settle for anything less.
F20 M135i, manual, red leather and alpine white, sun protection and now with model deletion! 15 plate

F20 120d M sport, Xenons, M brakes, Comfort pack, auto dimming, Estoril blue,63 plate

118d M Sport, 18" comfort pack, Alpine white, 60 plate

tim0409
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tim0409 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:09 pm

My last car was a 2008 118d with 80k miles on it - really bad judder and a less than slick gearchange. I was lucky enough to get the clutch replaced under my extended BMW warranty (or BMW goodwill, or both - dealer was a bit shifty about who was paying). The car was completely transformed with the revised clutch, and the gearchange was MUCH slicker.

Anyway, I recently bought a 60 plate 118d coupe with 20k from auction (ex-lease), and whilst there was no judder, the gearchange was nowhere near as nice as my last car with the revised clutch and the clutch peddle felt heavy. I booked it into BMW for them to have a look at and they agreed to swap out for the revised clutch. I got the car back yesterday and it is so much better to drive - nice gearchange and peddle noticeable lighter.

Return to “BMW Problems”