Common 1 Series Problems

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Acmissy
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Common 1 Series Problems

Post by Acmissy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:55 pm

inthe212xo wrote:I'm new on here, I purchased a BMW 118i in October, I've had so many issues with it its unreal,

I've got the head gasket replaced and got full service done and two days later my engine light has come back on and they said it's the valvetronic motor which is what helps the timing belt. I booked in to get that repaired and they said I'll be fine to drive it and I have been driving for two days fine and now the engine light is flashing and the car is shaking a lot. Any advice on what it could be as I am just hoping it the vanos that I'm paying to get done. Also how long of a job is it.

Thanks
Dan.
Have you found out what's causing this problem?

Kaner1982
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:40 pm

Stiff brake pedal but servo is working fine?

Post by Kaner1982 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:54 pm

Hi
I've just had new brake pads etc fitted to my 1 series and now the brakes won't slam stop cos pedal is too hard like there's no vacuum..garage checked servo etc and everything working fine so can anyone help in acts wrong..if I brake slowly she stops but if I need to break quickly she like doesn't respond at all..could it be ABS even thou I've no ABS sensor showing on dash??

Please help

Rachel

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 44857
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Stiff brake pedal but servo is working fine?

Post by marco_polo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:18 am

Kaner1982 wrote:Hi
I've just had new brake pads etc fitted to my 1 series and now the brakes won't slam stop cos pedal is too hard like there's no vacuum..garage checked servo etc and everything working fine so can anyone help in acts wrong..if I brake slowly she stops but if I need to break quickly she like doesn't respond at all..could it be ABS even thou I've no ABS sensor showing on dash??

Please help

Rachel
Which pads did you fit / have fitted? Are they nicely bedded in yet?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

rZvB
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:18 pm

Re: Common 1 Series Problems

Post by rZvB » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:38 pm

Hey BMW lovers . I bought, recently, a 118i for 2005 and it's eating lot of petrol, I get 23mpg , driving decent. Before to go to an service I want to ask you, what could be the issues. A friend had give me a Carly for bmw to diagnostic the car and it's appear I have Missfire in 2 cylinders and the sensor before the catalyst converter shows it's in the danger zone, which I'm thinking this could be the issues. If you have any ideas what could be the issues please let me know. I appreciate your help. Cheers

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 44857
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Common 1 Series Problems

Post by marco_polo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:04 pm

rZvB wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:38 pm
Hey BMW lovers . I bought, recently, a 118i for 2005 and it's eating lot of petrol, I get 23mpg , driving decent. Before to go to an service I want to ask you, what could be the issues. A friend had give me a Carly for bmw to diagnostic the car and it's appear I have Missfire in 2 cylinders and the sensor before the catalyst converter shows it's in the danger zone, which I'm thinking this could be the issues. If you have any ideas what could be the issues please let me know. I appreciate your help. Cheers
Sounds like a something is out, lambda sensor is favourite imo, but could also be MAF, coil packs, injectors, etc.

What were your codes?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Rachelp
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:47 am

Re: Common 1 Series Problems

Post by Rachelp » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 am

Hey guys,
I have the abs light, warning sign and the traction light. What could this be , the exclamation mark light with an arrow around it has been coming on intermittently past few weeks. Serviced it , changed tyres (swapped run flats for normal ). Any ideas on the problem as abs light is on ??

User avatar
Nottsknots
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1798
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Re: Common 1 Series Problems

Post by Nottsknots » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:09 am

Rachelp wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 am
Hey guys,
I have the abs light, warning sign and the traction light. What could this be , the exclamation mark light with an arrow around it has been coming on intermittently past few weeks. Serviced it , changed tyres (swapped run flats for normal ). Any ideas on the problem as abs light is on ??
Which model car have you got?

Have you noticed any loss of power when the lights come on?

My money is on reluctor rings (a search on here will give you plenty of info). Replacement rings and sensors arent that expensive if they are the cause. Do NOT go to BMW to get it fixed - they will want to change the drive shafts, which is expensive and unnecessary..

You may not have power loss now, but if the problem persists, and power loss starts, then turn off the DTC with the button on the dash, and the power loss will go away.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 44857
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Common 1 Series Problems

Post by marco_polo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:50 am

Rachelp wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 am
Hey guys,
I have the abs light, warning sign and the traction light. What could this be , the exclamation mark light with an arrow around it has been coming on intermittently past few weeks. Serviced it , changed tyres (swapped run flats for normal ). Any ideas on the problem as abs light is on ??
Sounds a bit like a DTC Hydro unit failure to me. What are the CC ID codes off the dash please?

If it is the DTC module, there's a service kit (sensor) available for about £150.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Amz17
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:49 am

Re: Common 1 Series Problems

Post by Amz17 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:53 am

Hi

I've got an issue with my 116i 2008 which has had a complete engine rebuild a few months back (£1200) now engine seems to be overheating excessive smoke from exhaust and temp on dash is on red! Suspecting the waterpump which is the electronic one....or can it be anything else??

Sarah4567
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:38 am

Re: Common 1 Series Problems

Post by Sarah4567 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:51 am

Hi,
My 2013 118i has a tendency to lose power at 80km/h - mostly on highways intermittently when the turbo should kick in. The coolant alarm went off so BMW fixed a leak to the turbo. $800 and 3 weeks later, it happens again with no alarm. BMW told me nothing was wrong with it as a fault never registered. After multiple times of this happening, the coolant alarm finally went off again. They still don't know what's wrong with it. Anyone else had this problem?

Post Reply

Return to “BMW Problems”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest