Common 1 Series Problems

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

rob180bhp
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Common 1 Series Problems

Post by rob180bhp » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:17 pm

A voltmeter is not really the best way to test a battery

The battery could be perfect condition and 10v and flat, just needs a recharge

And could be 12.4v and knackered and needs replacing

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

Bmwlel
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Bmwlel » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:13 am

The reason I'm thinking it is the battery and not just in need of charging is it has done long journeys so should be fully charged.

That said, to be safe I will give it a charge before replacing just to be safe ;)
2007 BMW 120D M Sport

Zamamiant

Post by Zamamiant » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:37 am

Jimmyrallye wrote:Had this problem with mine .. I whipped the wheels off and took the abs sensors out the hubs and gave them a clean sensor/hole in hub and it's been fine sinse .... In one of the rear hubs was lots of crud so that was my problem hope this helps
had my 1er 2wks and it's doing exactly this, will get it sorted now, thought it was gonna cost me a fortune! :) Thank you :)
2006 - 120d :spotman:

in.the.212

Post by in.the.212 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:15 pm

Hello, i need a bit of advice.
Ive got a bmw 118i
I was driving home last night and my engine light popped up and alot of smoke starting coming from the exaust.
I pulled over at the service station and checked my oils and parked up a few hours to check coolant level as the car was a bit hot. But everything was fine. I just got it checked and they said it was my ignition coils and spark plugs i got them changed straight away...

Then on my way home from the garage it was all fine. I just got into my car and drove down the road and my oil light come on and my engine light.

I have a gut feeling its my head gasket or i need to get a rebuild on the car. The smoke was white and didnt have any blue sort of colour. Its a lot of smoke. Ive got limo black tints and i could see the smoke from that. But no smoke from engine its just the exaust.

Any help please...

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:18 pm

White smoke is usually steam - coolant getting in a cylinder. Could be the head gasket, can you have the compression tested locally?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

in.the.212

Post by in.the.212 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:49 pm

marco_polo wrote:White smoke is usually steam - coolant getting in a cylinder. Could be the head gasket, can you have the compression tested locally?
Im not too sure. The thing is my coolant level is fine? I got a diagnostic done come up with a few things. Codes are:
2A61
29CC
2E24
2F9E
2A6B
29D0

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:16 pm

Lots of Vanos and misfire errors there, I think I'd start with the vanos.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

sanje06

Post by sanje06 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi would appreciate anyones advice on my query : basically i was considering buying a 1 series 3 door hatchback LCI fully loaded apart frm sat nav for 4k, the downfall is that the milege is 128,000 . The car has not suffered the timing chain fault and the car has a full service history, i really like the car it drives well, i just wanted the opinion from members as to wether the car would put them off given its milege, it is 2007 plate.

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:09 pm

Walk away at that millage on an n47 engine ,it's just not worth the gamble

You will get People sayings it's fine etc and it's only very small numbers of cars affected

Do a few Google searches and make your own mind up

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
Instagram "rob180bhp"

Ackers
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ackers » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:29 am

rob180bhp wrote:You will get People sayings it's fine etc and it's only very small numbers of cars affected

The problem with that is if you google "N47 timing chain snapped/problem" then all you'll find is results from owners saying exactly that, no one write a review of how great theirs is or how they've done 250k miles on one and never services it etc. Generally people only take to the net and to forums when they have a problem?

Having said that, with 128,000 miles on the clock it won't just be the engine you'll need to worry about, there may well be other parts that will just be worn that may need replacing so I'd check the expensive bits and see if they've been replaced at all?
2008 123d auto M-Sport

rob180bhp

Re: RE: Re: Common 1 Series Problems

Post by rob180bhp » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:32 am

Ackers wrote:
rob180bhp wrote:You will get People sayings it's fine etc and it's only very small numbers of cars affected

The problem with that is if you google "N47 timing chain snapped/problem" then all you'll find is results from owners saying exactly that, no one write a review of how great theirs is or how they've done 250k miles on one and never services it etc. Generally people only take to the net and to forums when they have a problem?

Having said that, with 128,000 miles on the clock it won't just be the engine you'll need to worry about, there may well be other parts that will just be worn that may need replacing so I'd check the expensive bits and see if they've been replaced at all?
Unfortunately there is so many bad reviews as it's a bad engine not many get to 250k at all
But why take such a risk when there is many other cars to buy

I don't understand why people defend the engine at all

Instagram "rob180bhp"

Ackers
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ackers » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:54 am

rob180bhp wrote:I don't understand why people defend the engine at all
I'm not defending it, I'm just saying try to keep an open opinion? The Internet and owners clubs/forums are great places for information but they also tend to have a one sided view because people generally only bother to take the time to review when they have a grievance about something rather than praise? How many times do you see a new forum member open with a first post of "Hi all, I'm new here and I have a problem and am after some help"?

How many N47 engines have BMW produced and how many have had a problem? How many 1zz engines have Toyota produced and how many have had precat failures? If you google it you'd think its all of them? How many Vauxhall Zafira's have caught fire? How many Mercedes M271 cam shaft bearings have failed?.......the list is endless across all manufacturers?

The op should have a budget and buy the best, well looked after model he can, if that means maybe less toys but a better overall condition lower mileage car then maybe that would be a better option than a fully spec'ed high mileage example?
2008 123d auto M-Sport

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:28 pm

If it was a low millage car then I'd say lower your service intervals and hope for the best and get a good warranty, but 128k the odds are not in your favour
Yes you do find the worste cade scenario online and yes keep an open mind vs common sense and looking at the facts available to you

I did research before buying my 135i and I can live with the common faults,if one of those was to do with the timing chain I would have never have bought one

All cars have common faults just which ones can you live with

Instagram "rob180bhp"

sanje06

Post by sanje06 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:53 am

considering the reviews online and the advice you guys have given i am going to stay away , its a shame it seems like a really good motor for a bargain but i do not wish to be left with a hefty bill, do all 1 series have this issue?

inthe212xo

Post by inthe212xo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:18 pm

I'm new on here, I purchased a BMW 118i in October, I've had so many issues with it its unreal,

I've got the head gasket replaced and got full service done and two days later my engine light has come back on and they said it's the valvetronic motor which is what helps the timing belt. I booked in to get that repaired and they said I'll be fine to drive it and I have been driving for two days fine and now the engine light is flashing and the car is shaking a lot. Any advice on what it could be as I am just hoping it the vanos that I'm paying to get done. Also how long of a job is it.

Thanks
Dan.

Return to “BMW Problems”