Common 1 Series Problems

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Common 1 Series Problems

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:20 pm

sanje06 wrote:considering the reviews online and the advice you guys have given i am going to stay away , its a shame it seems like a really good motor for a bargain but i do not wish to be left with a hefty bill, do all 1 series have this issue?
Nope, get a 2004 - 2006 with the good M47 engine instead.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:10 pm

Good evening fellas, Brief introduction, Just over 14 months ago I px'd my trusty old mk4 golf and bought myself a 05 120d. I love the car to bits and have had almost zero problems with it bar a few niggles which I have solved by mainly using this forum, I service it myself (I don't mind admitting that im pretty handy with a spanner due to restoring classic jaguars and Bentleys with my father) every 10.000miles. Ive cursed the way that bmw made it a bloody mission to change the air filter etc! However, A couple of bits need sorting for the MOT. 6 Months ago the air bag and seatbelt warning light flashed up occasionally, now they are on all the bloody time. Is this a common problem with the occupancy sensor in the passenger seat? has anyone had any success in solving this problem? Many thanks for your time in reading this. Jim.
2005 black 120dse

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:43 pm

jimbo wrote:Good evening fellas, Brief introduction, Just over 14 months ago I px'd my trusty old mk4 golf and bought myself a 05 120d. I love the car to bits and have had almost zero problems with it bar a few niggles which I have solved by mainly using this forum, I service it myself (I don't mind admitting that im pretty handy with a spanner due to restoring classic jaguars and Bentleys with my father) every 10.000miles. Ive cursed the way that bmw made it a bloody mission to change the air filter etc! However, A couple of bits need sorting for the MOT. 6 Months ago the air bag and seatbelt warning light flashed up occasionally, now they are on all the bloody time. Is this a common problem with the occupancy sensor in the passenger seat? has anyone had any success in solving this problem? Many thanks for your time in reading this. Jim.
Check the blue plug under the seat hasn't come loose.
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:09 pm

I will double check when I get a chance in the light.
2005 black 120dse

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:12 pm

jimbo wrote: every 10.000miles. Ive cursed the way that bmw made it a bloody mission to change the air filter etc!
FYI, those air filters are designed to be changed every 60k, every 10k seems overkill?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Blimey, well, if im honest, I changed the air filter early last febuary when I serviced the car last, and only checked it this weekend as I had removed all of the engine plastics to access the oil breather, seemed a bit silly not to go just a bit further and have a look at the air filter. The sock that covers it looked pretty black especially directly over where the air is drawn in on the side although ive removed it to gauge if it makes any difference or not. Im guessing its there to stop condensation entering the system in the winter months possibly. Any how, Car does not smoke anythere near as much as it did under hard acceleration before I changed the oil separator/breather so happy days.
2005 black 120dse

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:26 pm

The fluffy sock is designed to increase the capacity. It catches all the nuts and bolts, and lets the paper element get on with the job of filtering out the finer particles. Remove the sock and it will clog (lose performance) faster.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:28 pm

A couple more things, The hard pipe that connects onto the egr valve, mine wont seal 100% as my alternator has a oily haze covering it, anyone share this problem? it seems to fit quite loosely so that under full boost - air is seeping past? Ive already had to replace the top rubber boost hose that attaches to it as the original one had perished and split so know that's in good health.

What is the engines running temperature? Ive a suspicion that its running to cold causing over fuelling?
2005 black 120dse

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:33 pm

"It catches all the nuts and bolts"

:shock:
2005 black 120dse

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Ok.... Insects, seeds, leaves, marbles, etc.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:37 pm

No worries, I guessed that's what you meant!

Ive kept the sock so will shake it out and re fit it when ive got a spare couple of hours.
2005 black 120dse

ThatGuyNick

Re: RE: Re: Common 1 Series Problems

Post by ThatGuyNick » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:38 pm

sanje06 wrote:Hi would appreciate anyones advice on my query : basically i was considering buying a 1 series 3 door hatchback LCI fully loaded apart frm sat nav for 4k, the downfall is that the milege is 128,000 . The car has not suffered the timing chain fault and the car has a full service history, i really like the car it drives well, i just wanted the opinion from members as to wether the car would put them off given its milege, it is 2007 plate.
I have recently bought exactly the same. Milage at 122,000 when I bought it. I put 7,000 on it already. Don't listen to the others about the timing problem. It does exist but I don't think it's nearly as bad as e everyone makes out. There a massive amount of n47 egines that are running perfectly fine. As soon as I bought my car I put it in for the QH upgrade or recall for the chain and tensioner and the car been fine. Just to make sure though I give it a oil change every 6-8,000 miles and almost all my driving is long motorway miles. So hopefully the car will be fine for a good couple of thousand miles, certainly runs well anyway so can't see why not

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

adam1990
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by adam1990 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:55 pm

sanje06 wrote:Hi would appreciate anyones advice on my query : basically i was considering buying a 1 series 3 door hatchback LCI fully loaded apart frm sat nav for 4k, the downfall is that the milege is 128,000 . The car has not suffered the timing chain fault and the car has a full service history, i really like the car it drives well, i just wanted the opinion from members as to wether the car would put them off given its milege, it is 2007 plate.

If you're on a budget always remember you might be able to get a BMW for a good price but to fix it you also need to prepare for it to be more expensive.

I've done nearly 30k in my n47 118d now on 49k and it's been fairly trouble free and quieter after timing chain was done 20k ago.

I do plan to keep it for awhile yet, so will probably have to budget for a new clutch and flywheel because clutch judder is setting.

So always think of future costs is my advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2009 E87 118D

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:44 pm

Mine also suffers with clutch judder, I will be swapping my dmf with a regular one in the summer. Im hoping to have enough time to do a full write up to help others.
2005 black 120dse

chody
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by chody » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:56 pm

Be careful with your smf conversion, a boy at work bought a golf tdi with a smf and managed to snap the crack the dmf is spring loaded to take the torque a diesel engine produces a single one isn't

Return to “BMW Problems”