N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

joesmith1992
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:43 am

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by joesmith1992 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:34 pm

I've looked a lot online and seen no reports of any post 2009 n47 failing. I understand it can still be an issue, but where is the proof?

User avatar
rob180bhp
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 14337
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:42 pm
Location: south wales
Contact:

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by rob180bhp » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:59 pm

chandler wrote:
rob180bhp wrote:
R5_RXK wrote: You'll be fine....forums are very good at scaremongering as I've found out. Where are all the stories of the cars that have had no issues? hardly any apparently..
Ok if it is scare mongering? What will be your comment to the same person if his chain did snap in a few thousand miles? And be honest?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Well what would be your comment if he scraps the car at 200k all fine? Personally I see it as a potential issue but I do 20k a year in a remapped 2007 n47 120d averaging 60 mpg plus now. 700 + miles between fill ups only issue ever in 125k was a failed thermostat loom. I do 7k oil changes though so certainly wouldn't buy a 100k plus car with only the standard 24k between oil changes. All cars have their issues even the 3 litre petrols. If you want reliability buy Jap and not these European models that will only guarantee their cars for 3 years.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
You didn't answer the question

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

User avatar
rob180bhp
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 14337
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:42 pm
Location: south wales
Contact:

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by rob180bhp » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:01 pm

rob180bhp wrote:
chandler wrote:
rob180bhp wrote:Ok if it is scare mongering? What will be your comment to the same person if his chain did snap in a few thousand miles? And be honest?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Well what would be your comment if he scraps the car at 200k all fine? Personally I see it as a potential issue but I do 20k a year in a remapped 2007 n47 120d averaging 60 mpg plus now. 700 + miles between fill ups only issue ever in 125k was a failed thermostat loom. I do 7k oil changes though so certainly wouldn't buy a 100k plus car with only the standard 24k between oil changes. All cars have their issues even the 3 litre petrols. If you want reliability buy Jap and not these European models that will only guarantee their cars for 3 years.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
You didn't answer the question

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
If any one gets to 200k then happy days I hope everyone does, I don't wish anyones chain to fail

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

User avatar
rob180bhp
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 14337
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:42 pm
Location: south wales
Contact:

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by rob180bhp » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:06 pm

This is a thread that anyone can read then make your own disicions

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

Jwilkes
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:42 pm

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by Jwilkes » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:58 pm

chandler wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:02 pm
rob180bhp wrote:
R5_RXK wrote:
You'll be fine....forums are very good at scaremongering as I've found out. Where are all the stories of the cars that have had no issues? hardly any apparently..
Ok if it is scare mongering? What will be your comment to the same person if his chain did snap in a few thousand miles? And be honest?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Well what would be your comment if he scraps the car at 200k all fine? Personally I see it as a potential issue but I do 20k a year in a remapped 2007 n47 120d averaging 60 mpg plus now. 700 + miles between fill ups only issue ever in 125k was a failed thermostat loom. I do 7k oil changes though so certainly wouldn't buy a 100k plus car with only the standard 24k between oil changes. All cars have their issues even the 3 litre petrols. If you want reliability buy Jap and not these European models that will only guarantee their cars for 3 years.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Does yours make the timing chain noise as the revs build up or does it not make a ticking noise?

User avatar
MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1407
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by MontegoBlue » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Jwilkes wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:58 pm
chandler wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:02 pm
rob180bhp wrote:Ok if it is scare mongering? What will be your comment to the same person if his chain did snap in a few thousand miles? And be honest?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Well what would be your comment if he scraps the car at 200k all fine? Personally I see it as a potential issue but I do 20k a year in a remapped 2007 n47 120d averaging 60 mpg plus now. 700 + miles between fill ups only issue ever in 125k was a failed thermostat loom. I do 7k oil changes though so certainly wouldn't buy a 100k plus car with only the standard 24k between oil changes. All cars have their issues even the 3 litre petrols. If you want reliability buy Jap and not these European models that will only guarantee their cars for 3 years.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Does yours make the timing chain noise as the revs build up or does it not make a ticking noise?
My old 2008 N47 made chuffing noise with revs increasing and had the ticking noise, still going strong at 179k, and my new 2012 N47 engined 3er is exactly the same.
Current - 2012 318d N47 Touring - 78,000 miles
Past - 2008 118d N47 - last seen 180,000 miles

chandler
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 4:13 pm

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by chandler » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:51 pm

MontegoBlue wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:10 pm
Jwilkes wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:58 pm
chandler wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:02 pm
Well what would be your comment if he scraps the car at 200k all fine? Personally I see it as a potential issue but I do 20k a year in a remapped 2007 n47 120d averaging 60 mpg plus now. 700 + miles between fill ups only issue ever in 125k was a failed thermostat loom. I do 7k oil changes though so certainly wouldn't buy a 100k plus car with only the standard 24k between oil changes. All cars have their issues even the 3 litre petrols. If you want reliability buy Jap and not these European models that will only guarantee their cars for 3 years.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Does yours make the timing chain noise as the revs build up or does it not make a ticking noise?
My old 2008 N47 made chuffing noise with revs increasing and had the ticking noise, still going strong at 179k, and my new 2012 N47 engined 3er is exactly the same.
Mine is exactly the same, they aren't quiet engines they chuff and tick since 40k now at 125k. Does do 60+ mpg though!

DGJ123d
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:12 am

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by DGJ123d » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Mine is ticking, just picked it up on 130k and it's a regular consistent tick rather than a sporadic or irregular tapping like most of the videos of seen. Hopefully this is a good sign or it being general engine noise as it's had full BMW service history and otherwise is fine.

GDZAR
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:23 am

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by GDZAR » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:45 am

Hi - I'm new around here - And I'm aware that this is a 1 & 2 series forum, although I share the same engine N47D,

I've been battling for 6months trying to find a metallic rattling sound coming from the bottom, I've done and replaced the following
- Timing chain kit, including sprockets and tensioners,
- Engine bearings
- Piston rings,
- Head gasket and bolts,

I did the work myself as it was 10times worse after coming from an "APPROVED" BMW Workshop,

Please take a listen and give me some insight if possible - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e94TCKTIrms
Engine has 150 000km's,

Thanks

Post Reply

Return to “BMW Problems”