N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

redwizard
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by redwizard » Tue May 29, 2018 4:54 pm

Taffieboy1 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:51 pm
So just took into local place an hes good with BM, said he was unsure if chain or a pulley an best to pop over BMW to be sure, they say same can't say is the timing chain, would need to dismantle the car to find out, great !
"hes good with BM..." but can't tell whether the t/c is about to go from the sound of it? :shock: ....that's a red flag for me.

They are noisy engines by design (hence all that sound deadening), best to compare it with another N47 - plenty of us on here have one.
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin, Poplar Grey trim

Taffieboy1

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by Taffieboy1 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:26 pm

https://youtu.be/rIvdSPu5A5Q

Sounds v similar to that.

Think worse bit is BMW saying that they need to take it to pieces to get an idea, they work on them daily & know N47 has had issues.

MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MontegoBlue » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Just to throw a spanner in the mix "if you pardon the pun" my mechanic mate had a noisy 118d N47 in other week.

First thing he thought was the chain, but..turned out it was the water pump making all the racket :roll: so may not always be what you think.

Taffieboy1

Post by Taffieboy1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:49 pm

It was a tensioner pulley, has already had timing chain replaced as I emailed BM an they clarified for me, however they apparently are doing another recall on the 120 coupes as say power distribution cable are faulty.

Return to “BMW Problems”