N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis

vanderbart

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Postby vanderbart » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Cheers for that, it's a great example I found and I've been looking for some time. We'll see tomorrow how it goes after test drive it. I'll let you know how it went.

MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Postby MontegoBlue » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:13 pm

redwizard wrote:The BMW warranty (usually the only one worth getting) only covers a "lifetime" usage of 100,000 miles so warranties will be no help here.

Two things in it's favour :-
It's a 59 plate (like mine) so will have most of the "fixes" anyway.
It's done over 100,000 miles so is unlikely to have "faulty" parts (most failures are between 38,000 and 60,000).

Not saying that's it's in perfect shape though, so check it thoroughly before buying, just bear in mind that all N47s have noisy cam chains.

As you say, you should be able to get all the chains and tensioners replaced for around £1000

Most failures don't fail within that period my 118d 2008 had fits flywheel/clutch replaced at 130,000 and my DPF is on the blink now at 160,000+ and it lived on the motorway all its life :roll:

But I know what you mean - most niggly things would of been caught in that period usually. I've got a habit of keeping some "rainy day money" for anything big. My DPF may be needing that fund now - if timing chain let's go, its off to the scrappers with my mileage.

vanderbart

Postby vanderbart » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:14 pm

Right. I've promised I'll let you guys know how it went...
Due to some random reasons I didn't buy it yet. I will see it on Sunday and fingers crossed...

I'd like to thank you for your help. I really do appreciate it.

I do have more time to do my research.

I'll keep you updated.
Cheers

vanderbart

Postby vanderbart » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:34 pm

Ok. As promised. I did test drive it and couldn't hear anything suspicious. I did reserve it and hopefully on Friday will pick it up. Thanks everyone for help.

vanderbart

Postby vanderbart » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:54 pm

We have bought the car last weekend, unfortunately its my wifes car now and already had a little fight over it! I don't have any other choice than to replace my Honda Accord with another BMW. Just wandering if 325d or 330d also had similar problem? Has it got double chain? Or something?

MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby MontegoBlue » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:43 pm

vanderbart wrote:We have bought the car last weekend, unfortunately its my wifes car now and already had a little fight over it! I don't have any other choice than to replace my Honda Accord with another BMW. Just wandering if 325d or 330d also had similar problem? Has it got double chain? Or something?

Any chain driven car can develop issues - 325/330d All have chains at the back of the engines (well new ones anyway) there are less documented issues as there are alot less 325/330d's on the road compared to the 4cylinder diesels. But a well serviced car should be fine :)

rob180bhp
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Postby rob180bhp » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:19 am

The 330d seems to be bullet proof
E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

Michmash/eddie

Postby Michmash/eddie » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:06 pm

Is there a any new and relevant information with regards to the later N47 engines? I have a 2011 1 series and the engine code has a "C" and the end. I'm concerned as I have not long had the car, and have heard that the later cars are also effected now.

The date mine was registered was 22.02.2011

RAUL-87
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby RAUL-87 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:48 pm

Michmash/eddie wrote:Is there a any new and relevant information with regards to the later N47 engines? I have a 2011 1 series and the engine code has a "C" and the end. I'm concerned as I have not long had the car, and have heard that the later cars are also effected now.

Hi mate.

I called BMW and gave them my VIN number. The guy said people think solely on the year of the car, however the build date of the engine is what matters.

Worth a check IMO...
E82 118D // M-Sport Coupe - N47 // 2012

Michmash/eddie

Postby Michmash/eddie » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:40 pm

RAUL-87 wrote:
Michmash/eddie wrote:Is there a any new and relevant information with regards to the later N47 engines? I have a 2011 1 series and the engine code has a "C" and the end. I'm concerned as I have not long had the car, and have heard that the later cars are also effected now.

Hi mate.

I called BMW and gave them my VIN number. The guy said people think solely on the year of the car, however the build date of the engine is what matters.

Worth a check IMO...

Thank you very much appreciated

strixas

Postby strixas » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:26 pm

Crankshaft good just change timing chains i just done 2008 160k 120d all 3 chains nothing broken jus normal wear now running like new

Gaspo

Postby Gaspo » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:26 pm

Hello folks! Im a 3 series owner I hope you don't mind :-(. But I find this thread very good.
I'm about to change upper and lower timing chains the complete package. Including chain for oil pump. There was a service bulletin in 2015 here in Sweden for these timing chain problems but that campaign was a joke. Most people did not even know about it. Very few recived a letter about it that frome BMW. Most people had to ask about it at the dealers. If there car was in for this bulletin. BMW insisted that it was vin based bulletin. But there are exactly the same components frome 2007-2012. Anyway i didn't know about this bulletin until earlier this year. I noticed a slight type of maracas sound :-) frome the back of my engeine. And searched the internet about this and that was how I found out about these chain issues. Called BMW ,my car wasn't in this bulletin ok no problem I thaught. But time goes and now I stand here with a car that you very clearly hear the chain rattles. But sometimes not that clearly. So i checked with different BMW authorised dealers how much it will cost. The cheapest I have came over is about 2,5k So I have an appointment in January for the change.

My question to you guys is should I try to put some pressure on BMW central here in Sweden for goodwill or at least that they split the costs? Any chance doing this?

Have anyone tried this and had any success?

One more question if anyone had there chains replaced what did you pay? My car is a 2009 320d.102,5k miles. I'm paying 1/3 of the cars value in repairs:-(

Also worth mentioning is that I have always done extra oilservice between the regular. Have owned the car over 5 years driven it 53k

Sorry for my extremely poor English :-(

Here's a video of the sound outside the car:https://youtu.be/IgogYYk6MFo

Sometimes not that distinct sound.

Gaspo

Postby Gaspo » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:47 pm

Can't understand this. I was out driving today about 16miles stopped at a gas station to wash my car. I hear the sound that I linked to YouTube. Washed the car and went home,same miles. But the sound is gone?!. I can't figure this out. It clearly is the sound of a timing chain?. But how can it suddenly disappear? It's not the first time the sound comes and goes. Strange!

SpaceTofu

Postby SpaceTofu » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:01 am

RAUL-87 wrote:Hi mate.

Worth a check IMO...

Hi Raul,
was BMW able to provide you with relevant info by giving the VIN number (e.g. the build date of the engine, has the car been fixed when BMW did their QE in 2015, etc.?)
thanks!

Whitesoxni-msport

Postby Whitesoxni-msport » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:21 pm

Sorry for possibly asking the same question as others who have previously asked but can anyone tell me is my chain band 1 (likely to snap) or band 2 (likely to get noisy but won't snap due to revised sprocket used in 2009 onwards models .... car was first registered in 19/08/2009 but says car was setup on 20/03/2009. I've sent an image of engine number etc

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Return to “BMW Problems”