N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Mrmann

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by Mrmann » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Hi guys. Please help.

I have 2011 320D 100k+ mileage.
I have been told I will need a new timing chain? As when I start the car it makes a loud noise.
Will I jus need the chain replacing ? Or will I need crankshaft, tensioners, gearbox walrus etc?

How will I know wot exactly needs to be replaced?

Thanks guys..

Gaspo

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by Gaspo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:29 pm

Any sound recording? Whould help a lot to determine the issue.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Mrmann wrote:Hi guys. Please help.

I have 2011 320D 100k+ mileage.
I have been told I will need a new timing chain? As when I start the car it makes a loud noise.
Will I jus need the chain replacing ? Or will I need crankshaft, tensioners, gearbox walrus etc?

How will I know wot exactly needs to be replaced?

Thanks guys..
You'll need to pull it apart to find out exactly what's what, but I'd bargain on chain and tensioners. It's a big job as the chain is at the back of the engine against the bulkhead.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Mrmann

Post by Mrmann » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:42 pm

The timing chain noise vary to when I start the engine then seems to die down.

I have had several quotes ranging from £1000 to £2000
They all said depending on what needs replacing ..
If it's just the chain and tensioners then I'm guessing it should be £1000?

Are there any cases where the gear warus needs changing ? The mechanic mentioned something about the gear thingy ?

Gaspo

Post by Gaspo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Whoooow 1k for changing both chains and guiderails,tensioners,sprockets gaskets etc.Often you change the chain for the oil pump to. All these original parts are about 7k. Then there are work hours. You must have amazing prices in the UK. About 2,2k is the cheapest here in Sweden.

Gaspo

Post by Gaspo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:19 am

roundasapound wrote:
Gaspo wrote:Whoooow 1k for changing both chains and guiderails,tensioners,sprockets gaskets etc.Often you change the chain for the oil pump to. All these original parts are about 7k. Then there are work hours. You must have amazing prices in the UK. About 2,2k is the cheapest here in Sweden.
Yes but what the hell is cheap in Sweden?!
Lovely place and people but it's bloody expensive!!
:-) and we think it's expensive in the UK. But car parts and service seems to be prices like in Lithuania or Rumania :-)

Try going to Norway double the prices on everything compared to Sweden :-)

Gaspo

Post by Gaspo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:51 am

roundasapound wrote:
Gaspo wrote: :-) and we think it's expensive in the UK. But car parts and service seems to be prices like in Lithuania or Rumania :-)

Try going to Norway double the prices on everything compared to Sweden :-)
Depending on where your location in Sweden; would it be worth driving to Denmark and taking the ferry to Germany? The repairs would be a lot cheaper. Big job like this, big savings, even with fuel costs taken into account.
About 6-7 hours drive for me. But I'm at this moment at BMW here in Sweden and waiting for the verdict. I have called BMW Sweden headquarters and tried to get them to go goodwill or at least pay for the labour that is about 13-14k. This is a construction fault by BMW frome the start.

The funny thing for me is that the sound sometimes dissaper?

Gaspo

Post by Gaspo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:23 am

roundasapound wrote:
Gaspo wrote:About 6-7 hours drive for me. But I'm at this moment at BMW here in Sweden and waiting for the verdict. I have called BMW Sweden headquarters and tried to get them to go goodwill or at least pay for the labour that is about 13-14k. This is a construction fault by BMW frome the start.

The funny thing for me is that the sound sometimes dissaper?
Have you tried using thicker engine oil?
MontegoBlue wrote:The noise has nothing to do with the integrity of the chain. Some fail with no noise...put some thicker oil in it (5w40) LL04 :) I tried some Lucas Oil Stabilizer few oil changes back, wowza that quietened it down, but the noise came back, classic N47 sound I hear daily on the commute in every 4 cylinder BMW.
If I were you I'd get diagnosis with costs in BMW Sweden and if really expensive find out the costs with BMW Germany. Work out if it's worth the 14 hour round trip (you can do sight seeing and have a mini break as well).

Keep us updated :)
Funny no sound now when BMW have the var and listen. This is how it sounds often:https://youtu.be/IgogYYk6MFo

Some times less and sometimes almost nothing!

Were did MontegoBlue write this as answer? Did someone make o recording and he answered?

Gaspo

Post by Gaspo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:40 am

roundasapound wrote:
Gaspo wrote:Were did MontegoBlue write this as answer? Did someone make o recording and he answered?
This thread: Page 25, post #7
I think it was a response to someone's written post rather than a video.
Thx. BMW of course it doesn't sound much no that BMW have the car :-(. They want 22k for the change I want to do it. I will skip it.

OneTwenty
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by OneTwenty » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:53 am

Is it worth having anything done to the chain as a preventative measure?

My 320 has done 73k miles now and has no noises as such but we need to keep it for a few years more yet so I want to keep it in top form.

It's an 09 reg but was built in about July 2009 I think, registered August 09 so just missed the 59 plate.

I'm not too worried about a £2-3k bill if it did go as I would get it done but if it was more than that it wouldn't be good.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Gaspo

Post by Gaspo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:59 am

roundasapound wrote:
Gaspo wrote:Thx. BMW of course it doesn't sound much no that BMW have the car :-(. They want 22k for the change I want to do it. I will skip it.
Its a lot but in comparison to U.K. Maybe not that much different as people have been quoted close to 2k.

Try the thicker oil and see how you get on before paying that kind of money and if you really must have the work done, see if it will be cheaper getting it done in Germany, factoring in expenses.

See currency conversions:

Sent from my iPhone using ️
25,000:- Swedish krona they want. And that's the cheapest. About 35,000 the other BMW authorised dealers want
Last edited by Gaspo on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:00 pm

OneTwenty wrote:Is it worth having anything done to the chain as a preventative measure?

My 320 has done 73k miles now and has no noises as such but we need to keep it for a few years more yet so I want to keep it in top form.

It's an 09 reg but was built in about July 2009 I think, registered August 09 so just missed the 59 plate.

I'm not too worried about a £2-3k bill if it did go as I would get it done but if it was more than that it wouldn't be good.
Oil changes every 8 - 10k are the usual preventative measure, much easier to plan for than an unexpected £2k!
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

OneTwenty
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by OneTwenty » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:16 pm

marco_polo wrote:
OneTwenty wrote:Is it worth having anything done to the chain as a preventative measure?

Oil changes every 8 - 10k are the usual preventative measure, much easier to plan for than an unexpected £2k!
I just have it done on the CBS so currently every 2 years/20k miles. Think I might move it to an annual oil change now as we have a local BMW indy nearby, although it's the Mrs car so doesn't get hammered at all, even I drive it nicely most of the time. ;)
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:47 pm

OneTwenty wrote: it's the Mrs car so doesn't get hammered at all, even I drive it nicely most of the time. ;)
Sounds like worst case scenario tbh, unless it gets lots of long motorway runs? :(

Most chain problems are caused by fuel in the sump, diluting the engine oil.

The fuel gets into the sump due to the ECU trying to Actively regen the DPF (by squirting lots of additional diesel into the cylinders), some of which bore-washes past the rings. Not an issue if you Passive regen the DPF with regular long journeys of course.

One chap on here could actually see his 'engine oil' filling up by itself (via dash measurement) before his chain failed! :shock:

OneTwenty
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by OneTwenty » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:51 pm

marco_polo wrote:
OneTwenty wrote: it's the Mrs car so doesn't get hammered at all, even I drive it nicely most of the time. ;)
Sounds like worst case scenario tbh, unless it gets lots of long motorway runs? :(

Most chain problems are caused by fuel in the sump, diluting the engine oil.

The fuel gets into the sump due to the ECU trying to Actively regen the DPF (by squirting lots of additional diesel into the cylinders), some of which bore-washes past the rings. Not an issue if you Passive regen the DPF with regular long journeys of course.

One chap on here could actually see his 'engine oil' filling up by itself (via dash measurement) before his chain failed! :shock:
It has decent long journeys most weekends and some trips down to London and back each year, and Cornwall - I would say it has lived a mixed life with us from new so some shorter journeys but also plenty of longer journeys. It gets driven normally by the Mrs but at weekend I give it a good workout wherever we go. The oil is always nice and clean and all work is done by BMW on it so it has had a good life.

We will probably run it for another 4-6 years yet depending what I do with the 240 so I want to keep it running nicely.

Return to “BMW Problems”