N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis

Gaspo

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Postby Gaspo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:59 am

roundasapound wrote:
Gaspo wrote:Thx. BMW of course it doesn't sound much no that BMW have the car :-(. They want 22k for the change I want to do it. I will skip it.

Its a lot but in comparison to U.K. Maybe not that much different as people have been quoted close to 2k.

Try the thicker oil and see how you get on before paying that kind of money and if you really must have the work done, see if it will be cheaper getting it done in Germany, factoring in expenses.

See currency conversions:

Sent from my iPhone using

25,000:- Swedish krona they want. And that's the cheapest. About 35,000 the other BMW authorised dealers want
Last edited by Gaspo on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Postby marco_polo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:00 pm

OneTwenty wrote:Is it worth having anything done to the chain as a preventative measure?

My 320 has done 73k miles now and has no noises as such but we need to keep it for a few years more yet so I want to keep it in top form.

It's an 09 reg but was built in about July 2009 I think, registered August 09 so just missed the 59 plate.

I'm not too worried about a £2-3k bill if it did go as I would get it done but if it was more than that it wouldn't be good.

Oil changes every 8 - 10k are the usual preventative measure, much easier to plan for than an unexpected £2k!
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

OneTwenty
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby OneTwenty » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:16 pm

marco_polo wrote:
OneTwenty wrote:Is it worth having anything done to the chain as a preventative measure?

My 320 has done 73k miles now and has no noises as such but we need to keep it for a few years more yet so I want to keep it in top form.

It's an 09 reg but was built in about July 2009 I think, registered August 09 so just missed the 59 plate.

I'm not too worried about a £2-3k bill if it did go as I would get it done but if it was more than that it wouldn't be good.

Oil changes every 8 - 10k are the usual preventative measure, much easier to plan for than an unexpected £2k!

I just have it done on the CBS so currently every 2 years/20k miles. Think I might move it to an annual oil change now as we have a local BMW indy nearby, although it's the Mrs car so doesn't get hammered at all, even I drive it nicely most of the time. ;)
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

marco_polo

Postby marco_polo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:47 pm

OneTwenty wrote: it's the Mrs car so doesn't get hammered at all, even I drive it nicely most of the time. ;)

Sounds like worst case scenario tbh, unless it gets lots of long motorway runs? :(

Most chain problems are caused by fuel in the sump, diluting the engine oil.

The fuel gets into the sump due to the ECU trying to Actively regen the DPF (by squirting lots of additional diesel into the cylinders), some of which bore-washes past the rings. Not an issue if you Passive regen the DPF with regular long journeys of course.

One chap on here could actually see his 'engine oil' filling up by itself (via dash measurement) before his chain failed! :shock:
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

OneTwenty
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby OneTwenty » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:51 pm

marco_polo wrote:
OneTwenty wrote: it's the Mrs car so doesn't get hammered at all, even I drive it nicely most of the time. ;)

Sounds like worst case scenario tbh, unless it gets lots of long motorway runs? :(

The fuel gets into the sump due to the ECU trying to Actively regen the DPF (by squirting lots of additional diesel into the cylinders), some of which bore-washes past the rings. Not an issue if you Passive regen the DPF with regular long journeys of course.

One chap on here could actually see his 'engine oil' filling up by itself (via dash measurement) before his chain failed! :shock:

It has decent long journeys most weekends and some trips down to London and back each year, and Cornwall - I would say it has lived a mixed life with us from new so some shorter journeys but also plenty of longer journeys. It gets driven normally by the Mrs but at weekend I give it a good workout wherever we go. The oil is always nice and clean and all work is done by BMW on it so it has had a good life.

We will probably run it for another 4-6 years yet depending what I do with the 240 so I want to keep it running nicely.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby MontegoBlue » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:14 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
marco_polo wrote:

It has decent long journeys most weekends and some trips down to London and back each year, and Cornwall - I would say it has lived a mixed life with us from new so some shorter journeys but also plenty of longer journeys. It gets driven normally by the Mrs but at weekend I give it a good workout wherever we go. The oil is always nice and clean and all work is done by BMW on it so it has had a good life.

We will probably run it for another 4-6 years yet depending what I do with the 240 so I want to keep it running nicely.

For long term ownership - ignore CBS and just do 8k-10k oil changes. When my CBS shouts out it needs an oil change, I just reset it again. The CBS doesn't measure the oil quality or degradation it is simply just a basic algorithm of how the car is driven - emphasise the basic bit.
2008 118d E81 (164,000 miles)
2012 318d E91 (coming Feb 2017....)

Gaspo

Postby Gaspo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Can someone explain how the timinig chain noise can come and go? I'm going crazy. I hear it today clearly when I drove to the car shop. About 10miles engine 87 degrees I hear the chain maracas sound when i stand on idle and open the door. Then when i came home the noise is much less noisy?

Of course the chain was quiet when I was at BMW. But I have recordings and have them stating it's no issue. BMW customer service Sweden also are notified. I played the recording to the mechanic on BMW and they said it sound like a bad chain. But as I wrote they couldn't hear it.

I think I have a bit of an advantage if anything happens with the engine. And it's because of the chains.

Cheers!

Todd_23

Postby Todd_23 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi

A couple of weeks ago my Bmw 1 series broke down, i have been told its the timing chain (surprise, surprise). I have contacted BMW as i know there was a recall, however it was no use, they were no help to me at all.

Anyway, after taking it to a reliable garage & speaking to neighbour i have been informed that i could possibly need a new engine.

I'm just wondering what price i would be looking at for either a new engine or recon engine, including the labour?

Thanks

Todd

stevesurrey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby stevesurrey » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:46 pm

What year was your car built and which diesel engine does it have ?
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers

DanH6
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby DanH6 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:23 pm

My 118D was built July 07 and has never had any timing chain related work done to the engine. The Head Gasket recently failed and once the head was removed, technicians at the BMW indy I took it to said the excess heat had cracked the plastic tensioners and that the chain was extremely slack. Highly recommended replacing the chain which I have agreed to. They refused even to start the engine for fear of the chain failing.

As per the PDF on page one, it only refers to the warranty and as my car is now 10 years old with 142,000 miles on the clock I don't suppose it is eligible for any quality enhancements or recalls for this system right?

The car has been remapped and dpf removed since 98,000 miles, I suppose this invalidates any eligibility?

Repair costs inc. parts, labor & vat = ~£1700 (also includes head gasket parts, head skim, pressure test)
2007, 118D SE, E81, Black. . . . . still modding.

stevesurrey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby stevesurrey » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:56 pm

Going by build date of your car i think yours should have been eligible for the QE they launched in 2015 but I think thats now ended. Worth asking BMW though. Also not sure whether remap etc would rule it out or not.
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers

DanH6
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby DanH6 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:31 pm

That would be gutting if true, will contact them in the morning to query it. How do you know it has ended? And why was it only run for 12 months? I haven't seen this recall in any news or advertised anywhere they must have kept this on the down low. This is my first revisit to the forum in about 2 years!

Edit: Have just read >>N47 Timing chain RECALL NOW FINISHED<< post, think I'll be lumping this £1,700 bill anyway :roll:
2007, 118D SE, E81, Black. . . . . still modding.

Return to “BMW Problems”