N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by MontegoBlue » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:14 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
marco_polo wrote:
OneTwenty wrote: it's the Mrs car so doesn't get hammered at all, even I drive it nicely most of the time. ;)
Sounds like worst case scenario tbh, unless it gets lots of long motorway runs? :(

Most chain problems are caused by fuel in the sump, diluting the engine oil.

The fuel gets into the sump due to the ECU trying to Actively regen the DPF (by squirting lots of additional diesel into the cylinders), some of which bore-washes past the rings. Not an issue if you Passive regen the DPF with regular long journeys of course.

One chap on here could actually see his 'engine oil' filling up by itself (via dash measurement) before his chain failed! :shock:
It has decent long journeys most weekends and some trips down to London and back each year, and Cornwall - I would say it has lived a mixed life with us from new so some shorter journeys but also plenty of longer journeys. It gets driven normally by the Mrs but at weekend I give it a good workout wherever we go. The oil is always nice and clean and all work is done by BMW on it so it has had a good life.

We will probably run it for another 4-6 years yet depending what I do with the 240 so I want to keep it running nicely.

For long term ownership - ignore CBS and just do 8k-10k oil changes. When my CBS shouts out it needs an oil change, I just reset it again. The CBS doesn't measure the oil quality or degradation it is simply just a basic algorithm of how the car is driven - emphasise the basic bit.
Current - 2012 318d N47 E91 Touring - 63k
Past - 2008 118d N47 E81 - 167k

Gaspo

Re: N47 Timing chain info thread *QUALITY ENHANCEMENT/RECALL ISSUED* - please read before posting

Post by Gaspo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Can someone explain how the timinig chain noise can come and go? I'm going crazy. I hear it today clearly when I drove to the car shop. About 10miles engine 87 degrees I hear the chain maracas sound when i stand on idle and open the door. Then when i came home the noise is much less noisy?

Of course the chain was quiet when I was at BMW. But I have recordings and have them stating it's no issue. BMW customer service Sweden also are notified. I played the recording to the mechanic on BMW and they said it sound like a bad chain. But as I wrote they couldn't hear it.

I think I have a bit of an advantage if anything happens with the engine. And it's because of the chains.

Cheers!

Todd_23

Post by Todd_23 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi

A couple of weeks ago my Bmw 1 series broke down, i have been told its the timing chain (surprise, surprise). I have contacted BMW as i know there was a recall, however it was no use, they were no help to me at all.

Anyway, after taking it to a reliable garage & speaking to neighbour i have been informed that i could possibly need a new engine.

I'm just wondering what price i would be looking at for either a new engine or recon engine, including the labour?

Thanks

Todd

stevesurrey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stevesurrey » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:46 pm

What year was your car built and which diesel engine does it have ?
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

DanH6
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by DanH6 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:23 pm

My 118D was built July 07 and has never had any timing chain related work done to the engine. The Head Gasket recently failed and once the head was removed, technicians at the BMW indy I took it to said the excess heat had cracked the plastic tensioners and that the chain was extremely slack. Highly recommended replacing the chain which I have agreed to. They refused even to start the engine for fear of the chain failing.

As per the PDF on page one, it only refers to the warranty and as my car is now 10 years old with 142,000 miles on the clock I don't suppose it is eligible for any quality enhancements or recalls for this system right?

The car has been remapped and dpf removed since 98,000 miles, I suppose this invalidates any eligibility?

Repair costs inc. parts, labor & vat = ~£1700 (also includes head gasket parts, head skim, pressure test)

stevesurrey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stevesurrey » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:56 pm

Going by build date of your car i think yours should have been eligible for the QE they launched in 2015 but I think thats now ended. Worth asking BMW though. Also not sure whether remap etc would rule it out or not.
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

DanH6
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by DanH6 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:31 pm

That would be gutting if true, will contact them in the morning to query it. How do you know it has ended? And why was it only run for 12 months? I haven't seen this recall in any news or advertised anywhere they must have kept this on the down low. This is my first revisit to the forum in about 2 years!

Edit: Have just read >>N47 Timing chain RECALL NOW FINISHED<< post, think I'll be lumping this £1,700 bill anyway :roll:

alex123d2009

Post by alex123d2009 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi - just wanted to thank this forum for invaluable help regarding n47 timimng chain noise. I purchased a 2009 123d in July last year. It was purchased privately. There were no problems with the car.
Having purchased it, i then came across this forum and looked up common issues with n47. The concerns over timing chains alarmed me, so i investigated warranties. I opted to purchase a BMW Insured Warranty on a monthly payment plan. It's about £48 p/m as the car was just under 60,000 miles.
2 months ago. i started hearing a wooshing noise from the top of the engine, under acceleration. BMW diagnosed it as a hairline crack in the intake manifold - no small job! All done under warranty.
Then about a month ago i noticed a tick tick tick noise, when the car was parked next to a wall (this magnified the noise). THe ticking sped up with foot on throttle. Took the motor back to BMW - it was diagnosed as chain noise.

They replaced the top chain first - but decided there was still noise from the bottom chain, so replaced that too. It took 2 weeks to get the job done, but they gave me a 4 Series Gran Coupe - so i was happy! All chains, tensioners and guides replaced. (of note - the mechanic pointed out that even through mine was a late 2009 model, it still had the original poor design tensioner.

All this was done under warranty - total cost to me, £100!

FYI my car:

2009 123d coupe
Currently 62000
Service history - but not all BMW! (they were reputable garages though)
Purchased privately.

I only bought the warranty because of this site - so thank you. I didn't bother with any other warranty companies - as BMW's was CHEAPER and totally comprehensive, so why risk it with another company?

For £48 per month, a lot of grief averted.... Must have had about £5000 of claims against it already... I will never buy a BMW without a warranty again.

Good luck all.

Mojiboo

Post by Mojiboo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi. i have 11/2013 n47 135 kw..currently 70 000 kms so far. i purchased the car from local dealer when it had 35000 kms. now, i became aware of the sound comung from timing chain when engine is idle. i can clearly hear the timing chain sound when i am standing next to the car. inside i dont hear anythin when driving nor just idling. i went to bmw dealer to check the chain and the outcome was_sound is normal..chain is not worn..etc..no need to worry. but i dont understand why i can hear the chain. is it problem?(its nit ticking noise just can be heard). i cannot do it under warranty as the timing chain test was ok. this sound will be still worse? i dont remember this sound when i was purchasing car. see the video: https://youtu.be/gtUxeUw8wc0

redwizard
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by redwizard » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:19 pm

Mojiboo wrote:Hi. i have 11/2013 n47 135 kw..currently 70 000 kms so far. i purchased the car from local dealer when it had 35000 kms. now, i became aware of the sound comung from timing chain when engine is idle. i can clearly hear the timing chain sound when i am standing next to the car. inside i dont hear anythin when driving nor just idling. i went to bmw dealer to check the chain and the outcome was_sound is normal..chain is not worn..etc..no need to worry. but i dont understand why i can hear the chain. is it problem?(its nit ticking noise just can be heard). i cannot do it under warranty as the timing chain test was ok. this sound will be still worse? i dont remember this sound when i was purchasing car. see the video: https://youtu.be/gtUxeUw8wc0
Probably not, as it's noisy by design - don't worry.

It's amazing how people start hearing the sound only after reading through this thread! :lol:
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
mods - BMWP power kit, black grills, LED darklines, Bimmian LEDs, pressed plates, light anthracite 222s
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin

Jollyware

Post by Jollyware » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi all, new to here and new to BMW (ish)

I have a 2010 520D F10 fitted with the N47T engine.

Yesterday the top tensioner decided to break and I now have the car in for repair for both chains, guides and tensioners.

I have tried to claim on my 3rd party warranty but they are saying that because the chain hasn't snapped but elongated and this caused it to break the tensioner.

My question is, would a chain stretch to the point to cause this damage and should I be able to hear the chain ratting if it was stretching throughout it course and would it fall under a BMW repair issue or not?

Thanks.

MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MontegoBlue » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:23 pm

The chain may well of stretched if the oil hadn't been changed enough times in its life? When I say enough - not 20k between services.

Chains do break and tensioners do fail on a lot of cars - usually rare, but you might of just been unlucky mate.

BMW repair issue - I don't know, have you got a warranty or anything to get back on?

stevesurrey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stevesurrey » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Seems a bit odd the chain tensioner itself isnt covered by the warranty whatever caused it to break. Its not like its a consumable or subject to routine maintenance/replacement.

lukas
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by lukas » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:41 pm

alex123d2009 wrote: FYI my car:

2009 123d coupe
Currently 62000
Service history - but not all BMW! (they were reputable garages though)
Purchased privately.

I only bought the warranty because of this site - so thank you. I didn't bother with any other warranty companies - as BMW's was CHEAPER and totally comprehensive, so why risk it with another company?

For £48 per month, a lot of grief averted.... Must have had about £5000 of claims against it already... I will never buy a BMW without a warranty again.

Good luck all.
I thought you needed full BMW history to get their warranty?

Pauls1979

Post by Pauls1979 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi

New to the forum and new to BMW

Finally managed myself to get myself a 2008 320d. Lovely car, high mileage but full BMW service history.

I didn't know anything about this design fault before I bought the car. Not that I can hear any dodgy noises coming from the engine but I'm now in a bit of a flap that at any minute my car is gonna give up on me. What I have paid for the car is a lot of money to me and I can't afford to loose it. But worst than that. It's spoiling my driving experience.

I was wondering if anybody knows if BMW are still doing the mentioned quality enhancement and if I'd still be able to get mine done. Is there a time limit etc?

To be honest this is my first decent car. And I feel at a bit of a loose end after reading through a lot disaster stories on the web

Any guidance would be appreciated

Return to “BMW Problems”