Squeaks, creaks and rattles - The Total Guide

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

babybmwadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Squeaks, creaks and rattles - The Total Guide

Post by babybmwadmin » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:32 am

I thought I would try to condense as many posts/problems and resolutions into one single thread.

I'll attempt to detail all areas that squeaks, creaks and rattles are occurring, and if a known (or potential) solution is known, make reference to it.

Any other posts that reference these specific problems may be deleted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noises from the dashboard/vent area

It appears that the known problem of Creaks and Rattles on the 1 series dashboard/vent area may now have been resolved

The below is an accummulation of information from a variety of users who have been through this with their BMW dealership and have had success.

Problem:
Creaking noises from dashboard, vent area
More noticeable when car heats up.

Solution:
Book the car into your BMW dealership
Request that you need to talk with the technician who will be fixing your car
Have him confirm the squeaks/rattles are not present when the car is cold, but more noticeable when it warms up
Ensure him that it is not the vent that causes the problem, but explain that there are 07MY updates to trim.
Also suggest that adding some insulation between the dashboard and the chassis to stop the noise.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Driver Door Squeaks

Problem:
tbc

Solution:
tbc

Driver Door Rattles

Problem:
Rattles appearing to come from within the door

Solution:
Check the speakers in the doors incase they have come loose
Check nothing has dropped inside the door
Also check solution for Creaking Windows (see below) - this can sometimes solve the door rattles

Centre Arm Rest Squeaks

Problem:
Notable noise coming from the arm rest which tends to squeak every time a little pressure is applied on it

Solution:
Check to see if your iPod cable is fouling it.
Also, try lubricating the little rubber nipples on the lid that touch the plastic of the base section.
Try putting some black tape around the clip that secures the armrest in place while closed.

Squeaks from Rear Wheels

Problem:
Loud squeak/squeals from the rear, sounds like rear wheels.

Solution:
Have your dealership check your rear disc covers - they may be bent due to stones getting trapped in them

Creaking Windows

Problem:
Very annoying creaking noises coming from the windows

Solution:
Try rubbing wax on the metal around the frame of the door.
Check the window seals, they may need lubricating or renewing

If the noises reappear after the seals have been replaced, it can possibly be down to the metal where the door seal seats into when the door is shut is rough and sticky. Clean the metal thoroughly and applied some natural wax, making it very smooth. Also use paper towels and water to remove any dirt from the outside of the window seal (which contacts the metal)

Interior Light Rattle

Problem:
Noises coming from the Interior Light

Solution:
Dismantle it using instructions from BMW TIS or Realoem.com.
Check if anything is loose.

Title
reserved for future use

Problem:
reserved for future use

Solution:
reserved for future use

aircanman

Post by aircanman » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:43 pm

Excellent, we had something like this on the mini forums I used to visit.

Note, for the doors. I have found on each door of my 54 plate 120, to fix this, put some elex tape round a small ish flat head screwdriver, and where the arm rest part of the card ends (closer to the lock end) - prise a 1cm gap open, the clips will sometimes pop open. When you have enough room, stick a small pad (1x1 inch) under the trim. This should stop the squeaking.

-----------------

Windows, this is a big problem on some cars, mostly on frameless windows. But try not to lubricate them, because whatever you put on them, will most likely need to be reapplied all the time. What I did was get a 1ft long piece of velcro (soft side) and put it on the top of the window frame, then close the window on it. This should make it stick well to the inside of the seal.

This should stop the squeaks completely.

ITSystems

Post by ITSystems » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:49 pm

Excellent, we had something like this on the mini forums I used to visit.
There used to be an official Mini part that involved velcro tape to stop dashboard rattle.
120D M

verysideways
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by verysideways » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:42 am

I had an odd rattle coming from the boot area when i went round corners - turns out the locking wheel nut key had come out of its holder next to the battery.

'16 F22 M235i (x2)
'16 F31 340i
'16 F55 Cooper S
'13 F20 M135i
http://petrolhead.tours

pinguhk

Re: Squeaks, creaks and rattles - The Total Guide

Post by pinguhk » Thu May 08, 2008 4:49 pm

its a BMW so you should get this.

CHR15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by CHR15 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:06 pm

pinguhk,

you have experienced problems?

I must say I expect better quality for the money than the 1 series delivers. My Honda felt better screwed together and more functional than the BM.

steved

Post by steved » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:26 pm

My 08 1 series m sport has been back to the dealership 10 times in 3 months regarding rattles and squeaking from the front doors.

I have had adjustments made, packers fitted in the doors, and all of the front window seales replaced twice.

The noises are still as bad as on day one - if not worse.

It's going back in again next week but i'm getting quite disappointed with it now.

Steve
2008 BMW 116i M Sport - Le Mans Blue

rsmallwo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rsmallwo » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:58 pm

welcome to the club!!!!

Fieldmarshall

Post by Fieldmarshall » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:34 pm

I think Sqeaks, creaks and rattles can be extended with "whistles".

Sometimes my 118d starts to whistle during 30seconds to 1 minute (never timed, so this is a guess). This always happens on motorways (around 85 mph). It usually starts to whitsle and also stops automatically... I'd guess this has something to do with the efficient dynamics, so I'm not worried about it, but I'd like to know what it is :)

buteo

Post by buteo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:00 pm

I had the infamous creaking/rattly noise from the driver's door from close to my right ear (RHD car). Last week while polishing the car I pushed gently on the back edge of the top of the closed front door from the outside and heard some small creaking noises.

While you're driving it's impossible to track down a noise like this, but if you can reproduce it stationary you stand a much better chance. I found that some of the noise was coming from the rubber seal that's attached to the front edge of the upper part of the rear door. When the front door was open, pushing on this seal made a noise. Spraying WD40 on the inside of the seal (where it touches the rear door) stopped this source of noise.

When I had done this and closed the front door, I tried again pushing gently on the door in the same place. It was better, but there was still a noise remaining. Opening the door and pushing on the black trim piece at the trailing edge of the top of the door revealed that this was another source of noise. More WD40 and this was cured.

Now, I don't hear any noises from the door or window next to my right ear, even when travelling over rough road surfaces.

The mystery is: what is it that Honda know that BMW are obvious totally ignorant of? How can Honda make a Jazz (at less than half the price of the cheapest BMW) that doesn't rattle or creak, ever, and yet this seems to beyond the capability of the Germans? Is it just down to the specification of the rubbers used in the door seals? Or do they apply some kind of long-life lubricant? Or do BMW only bother to get this right on more expensive models?
2007LCI 118d SE, Comfort, Visibility (from the good old days when you got adaptive xenons on a special offer!), Prof radio, USB.

Fieldmarshall

Post by Fieldmarshall » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:41 pm

Thanks Buteo, I also noticed this noice, although it's a Left-Hand Driven Car, but that won't make a lot of a difference I guess. During those warm days, the rattle is more noticable and it drives you crazy... I almost had an accident while searching for the source of this rattle (bad idea to do it while driving, I know, but it's quiete distracting...). I was thinking at the safetty-belt attachment or so, but I'lll check my rear doors first...

steved

Post by steved » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:23 pm

After 13 visits to the dealership they have cured (fingers crossed) all of the door and window creaks and ratttles.

After replacing the windows seals twice, adding door packers, plus door adjustments (all listed mods for the rattles and creaks), the final suggestion from the area tech guy was to replace the shiny side trims on the doors by the windows and refit them. Apparently there have been similar issues on the 3 series and it's due to gaps behind the trims from poor fitment, this seems to have sorted everything!

Now I can finally enjoy the car!

Steve

dazzopar

Post by dazzopar » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:16 pm

I have had my 5dr 118D M Sport for a couple of weeks now....the doors are doing my head in!!!

With the windows up, the door creaks all the time.

I have worked out that if I drop the window just a touch, then it stops all the door creaks......is this the same for everyone else?

Anyone know a more permanent solution before I take it to BMW to look at?

steved

Post by steved » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:07 pm

dazzopar wrote:I have had my 5dr 118D M Sport for a couple of weeks now....the doors are doing my head in!!!

I have worked out that if I drop the window just a touch, then it stops all the door creaks......is this the same for everyone else?

Hi, have a read of my post above yours, that's the solution, it's totally cured my rattles and creaks.

Steve

keramos

Post by keramos » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:16 pm

steved wrote:
dazzopar wrote:I have had my 5dr 118D M Sport for a couple of weeks now....the doors are doing my head in!!!

Hi, have a read of my post above yours, that's the solution, it's totally cured my rattles and creaks.

Steve
so mine...just a little touch stops the rattles from driver's door. I guess it something about auto window mechanism. Any ideas?

Return to “BMW Problems”