Squeaks, creaks and rattles - The Total Guide

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

discostu49
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Squeaks, creaks and rattles - The Total Guide

Postby discostu49 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:31 pm

im going nuts with a driver windscreen pillar rattle/squeek!!!! the thing the side air bag sits in

118ddk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby 118ddk » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:07 pm

118ddk wrote:I have a rather annoying rattle when cold - semi cold, at idle (if accelerator is pressed and revs raised just 50-100rpm noise goes away)
It occured when i had the gearbox oil changed, hence the middle cover under the car was removed.
I've tried loosening the cover, but no lock.
Diesel-fuel filter was also changed......wonder if a fuelline or something is tapping at the body....

Anyone ?

Solved the problem. It was because of slack in the fuelpipes. Moving the fuel filter 2cm towards the rear, solved the issue.

118D @ 183hp

/ L

tman-120d

Postby tman-120d » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:24 pm

I've had a very annoying buzzing rattle that sounded like it was coming from the middle of the dashboard around the centre air vents or from the steering column. This has been driving me nuts for about 3 Months. It occured when accelerating pretty hard in 2nd and 3rd gears as well as driving uphill. After months of searching and taking alot of the dashboard apart and lining everything with felt I finally found the cause. The buzzing noise was coming from the windscreen washer top-up tube. The pipe is clipped into black plastic holder just below the refill cap. Further down the pipe there is a black semi circle clip that holds it is place. My pipe when clipped in at the top connection wouldn't stay in the lower semi circular clip and would rattle against the air filter housing when under load. I fixed the pipe into it's upermost connector as normal and stuck a 2 inch piece of 'No More Nails on a roll' into the semi circular clip to hold the pipe in place. Hey presto - the annoying buzzing rattle is now completely gone :D
Many people on this forum have posted fixes for their buzz type rattles ranging from heat shields, cats, dashboard fittings, vanos, steering column spacers etc. This is what was causing mine - hope it helps others. I'm off to celebrate now :lol:

justjer

Postby justjer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:34 pm

Have some steering squeeky sounds when i'm parking and rotating heavily the steer.
i recorded it: (ignore the background sounds), start from 0.34 seconds

http://youtu.be/lbmKH1GKgO4

Si Bailey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Si Bailey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:02 pm

tman-120d wrote:I've had a very annoying buzzing rattle that sounded like it was coming from the middle of the dashboard around the centre air vents or from the steering column. This has been driving me nuts for about 3 Months. It occured when accelerating pretty hard in 2nd and 3rd gears as well as driving uphill. After months of searching and taking alot of the dashboard apart and lining everything with felt I finally found the cause. The buzzing noise was coming from the windscreen washer top-up tube. The pipe is clipped into black plastic holder just below the refill cap. Further down the pipe there is a black semi circle clip that holds it is place. My pipe when clipped in at the top connection wouldn't stay in the lower semi circular clip and would rattle against the air filter housing when under load. I fixed the pipe into it's upermost connector as normal and stuck a 2 inch piece of 'No More Nails on a roll' into the semi circular clip to hold the pipe in place. Hey presto - the annoying buzzing rattle is now completely gone :D
Many people on this forum have posted fixes for their buzz type rattles ranging from heat shields, cats, dashboard fittings, vanos, steering column spacers etc. This is what was causing mine - hope it helps others. I'm off to celebrate now :lol:

I will look into that for mine then. I too posted ages ago about a rattle/ buzzing coming from what i though was behind the middle of my dash. Maybe this is my problem too. Cheers. I will have a butchers in the morning.
VIEW MY CAR
LAP OF THE RING

CENTRAL ESSEX
NOW - F20 M140i Aline White with ZF8 + Toys
GONE - E87 120d Sport

archie

Postby archie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks for the condensed information, very useful. I just bought a 130 5 door from bmw approved and the next day i took it out, i noticed an annoying rattle eminating from the centre dashboard area, just under the air vents. I tried to push the (relatively cheap) plastics to make it stop but it still made the noise. It's intermittant so when i took it them to check it surprise surprise she was quiet!...anyway i bought the car for its engine which is fantastic! but i want to get this fixed ASAP so i will take it back and make sure i give them your list. many thanks again!

Bumps

Postby Bumps » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:38 pm

Good to know BMW have got this all sorted since I had all these problems on my first 1er in 2006... :(

My experience on noises:

Rear seat rattle - spray lube on the hinge mechanism at the back of the seat cushion worked for me.

Window rattles - no lube in the window groove ever worked. Wash the door aperture in the bodyshell and clean the outside upper (rubber with felt) part of the door. Get a good quality wax (I used Zymol) and polish the inside of the door aperture in the bodyshell all around until it's gleaming and smooth as a baby's proverbial. That cured my rattling windows and this is the only solution that seems to last for me.

A pillar base - not yet sorted - will try cable ties. Do you secure them with anything or just wedge them in? Was thinking of this fix but not sure what to put in the gap - thanks OP 8)

Driver's door 'jingling' sound from front of armrest on rough surfaces - this one has me stumped. Had the trim off the door pull and nothing to do with that (thought the armrest securing bolts might have been under it). Any ideas?

Cheers,

Ben

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Postby marco_polo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:22 am

Bumps wrote:A pillar base - not yet sorted - will try cable ties. Do you secure them with anything or just wedge them in? Was thinking of this fix but not sure what to put in the gap

Yup, wedge them down in the gap.

Or remove the trims, and stick some furry velco tape on the dash ends to prevent the rubbing/squeaking.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - 245/35 Goodyear Asym 3's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Bushy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Bushy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:53 am

took my car in for squeak and rattle from passenger dash/a pillar. They replaced the vent.
muz1990 wrote:Bushy might come across a tw*t on here sometimes, but that's the point!

Bonzo

Postby Bonzo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Problem:
Creaking noises from dashboard, vent area
More noticeable when car heats up.

3: gear knob
there is a vibrating sound from the gear knob, very low pitch but oh so annoying.

I've found both of these squeaks occurring more and more frequently on my journey to work recently, starting to get quite annoying.

If I take this to my local dealer are they likely to fix this under the AUC warranty?
120i M Sport

Wibbles

Postby Wibbles » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:47 pm

135 coupe - buzzing coming from the rear, I think its the parcel shelf. Any ideas?
F21 M135i - AW CR - lots of options.
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here

scotgr

Postby scotgr » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi was just wondering are the vent dasboard rattles and fix for E8* chassis or F20 chassis as my F20 dash creaks and rattles here plus my driver door buzzes away all the time

Thanks
62 plate 114i Sport. Hey we can't all afford 135i's ;)

Ryan85

Postby Ryan85 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:03 pm

vasco wrote:Yes, I had the same problem too. And found solution on this phorum. Just put this tape: http://www.brufus.cz/pic_zbozi/23820.jpg between the pillar and the dash...

Awsome!! Thanks this fixed mine!!! Who would have thought it!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD
56 plate, 118d se, Quartz blue, private plate

Broguer
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby Broguer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:17 pm

annoying rattles?
turn music up until rattles have disappeared.
done.

whodareswins1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby whodareswins1 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:40 am

I'm getting an odd rumbling noise coming from, what I'm fairly sure is, the passenger door. It's an E87. I'm thinking it could be the side mirror as the black casing feels a little loose. There isn't anything inside the door tray.
E87 54 120d

Return to “BMW Problems”