Squeaks, creaks and rattles - The Total Guide

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

whodareswins1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Squeaks, creaks and rattles - The Total Guide

Post by whodareswins1 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:48 pm

Another rattle I'm getting is rather odd and also intermittent. It sounds like its from the passenger dash or maybe inside the wheel arch or something. It sounds like something shuffling about, similar to if you drive with a big block of snow or ice on the car. That kind of sound.
F20 116i

Mark34bn
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mark34bn » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:29 am

After much experimentation trying to stop the door seals from squeaking / creaking, I have found the cure!

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. Spray on the felt strip on the top seal around the door frames and allow to dry for a few minutes.
All noise totally gone.
Its around £17 with postage from eBay. Some guys over on 1addicts found this product and haven't had any noises since. :D
Current : Renaultsport Megane R26, Ford Kuga Titanium X
Previous:130i M Sport, E46 330d M Sport Touring, E36 328i Sport ,E36 M3, Sierra XR4x4 TT280

mikethemike
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by mikethemike » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:14 am

Mark34bn wrote:After much experimentation trying to stop the door seals from squeaking / creaking, I have found the cure!

[img]https://www.marineshop.at/images/produkte/i41/4108-McLube-Sailkote-4108-01.jpg[/img]

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. Spray on the felt strip on the top seal around the door frames and allow to dry for a few minutes.
All noise totally gone.
Its around £17 with postage from eBay. Some guys over on 1addicts found this product and haven't had any noises since. :D
I am also trying to solve this problem although without applying any products. After I polished the car it started making the noise and I read it was the silicone in the polish that got on the seals and made the noise, so at the moment I'm just scrubbing them every day with a strong APC mix and so far so good, the noise is definitely going away. Does this spray leave any residue?
Currently: Glacier Silver F20 M140i
Previously: Black Sapphire E87 120d

Mark34bn
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mark34bn » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:10 pm

I found you only get residue if you spray too much in one place. You need to move along the seal quite quickly to avoid this. Recently I have been trying to keep the car squeaky clean and avoid putting any products on the seals but the noises were still there to some extent. I have far too many detailing products and have tried different approaches to the problem. :D
So far polishing, waxing, applying gummi pfledge, auto glym vinyl & rubber care etc work for a short time but the effect doesn't last long.
This is the first dry Teflon product I've used so I have my fingers crossed that it'll work!
Previous:130i M Sport, E46 330d M Sport Touring, E36 328i Sport ,E36 M3, Sierra XR4x4 TT280

mikethemike
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by mikethemike » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:40 pm

Mark34bn wrote:I found you only get residue if you spray too much in one place. You need to move along the seal quite quickly to avoid this. Recently I have been trying to keep the car squeaky clean and avoid putting any products on the seals but the noises were still there to some extent. I have far too many detailing products and have tried different approaches to the problem. :D
So far polishing, waxing, applying gummi pfledge, auto glym vinyl & rubber care etc work for a short time but the effect doesn't last long.
This is the first dry Teflon product I've used so I have my fingers crossed that it'll work!
I found in my case the polish caused the noise. I too tried the AG Vinyl and Rubber Care stuff which did offer a short term solution. But after yesterday's scrub down of the felt seals along the top I think I've solved the problem. I even turned the radio off today just to appreciate the silence! :lol:
Currently: Glacier Silver F20 M140i
Previously: Black Sapphire E87 120d

Mark34bn
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mark34bn » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:57 pm

lmka23 wrote:With the windows up, the door creaks all the time.

mercedes servicing
Look further up the page, we've found two different ways of curing this.

David 8
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by David 8 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:10 pm

I don't think he's that bothered ...

Spammer !!
2009 White E81 123D, Factory Xenon's, I-Drive 313's

Gazwal86
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Gazwal86 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:45 pm

Help!, I have a really really annoying creak/rattle, it's coming from my driver side door ever since I machined polished my whole car. the only way to get rid of the noise is by opening the window more than 1/2 cm. I.e. The noise is only there when the window is Fully closed!
M135i 5Dr, AW, Coral, Auto, Pro Nav, HK, Adaptive, Sunroof, Comfort Access, F&R PDC, Driving Assistant, Folding Mirrors, MPE!!, Lots of M Performance bits!!!!

mauricegb
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mauricegb » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:18 pm

My A-pillar creak keeps coming back on the passenger side.

I initially fixed it with 25mm anti rattle tape off ebay. Very soon after fitting M3 LCA's the harsher arms caused the creaks to come back. I intially tried tie-wraps as a temporary measure, which partially worked, then re-did the rattle tape with 2 layers. It lasted a few months but has now started creaking again!

I was on the M25 in the slow lane in traffic the other day with passengers in the car and it was creak,creak,creak,creak every second - embarrasing! Any suggestions?

Smidsy_2

Post by Smidsy_2 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:55 pm

Hello all!

Can anyone please help or offer any advice please?

I have a 2008 120i m sport.

I have a creaky grindy rubbing noise coming from the front right wheel. Imagine the noise loud squeaky push bike brakes make when they brake. That eRRRRRk! noise that goes right through you.

Now take that noise and and apply it to a point on a wheel and spin it. So eRRRRk eRRRRRk eRRRRk as if something is buckled... make sense?

When i drive straight... its fine.
When i turn right, slightly audible.
When i turn left, immediately you can hear it.
When i turn full lock its loudest.

I took it to a garage and was told pads/discs issue. Changed em (£££) noise is still there.

When i turn full lock in REVERSE, it doesnt make a sound. As soon as i drive forward again... its back.

Starting to get to me an i dont want to keep replacing things one at a time.

Please help!

Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:12 pm

Smidsy_2 wrote:Hello all!

Can anyone please help or offer any advice please?

I have a 2008 120i m sport.

I have a creaky grindy rubbing noise coming from the front right wheel. Imagine the noise loud squeaky push bike brakes make when they brake. That eRRRRRk! noise that goes right through you.

Now take that noise and and apply it to a point on a wheel and spin it. So eRRRRk eRRRRRk eRRRRk as if something is buckled... make sense?

When i drive straight... its fine.
When i turn right, slightly audible.
When i turn left, immediately you can hear it.
When i turn full lock its loudest.

I took it to a garage and was told pads/discs issue. Changed em (£££) noise is still there.

When i turn full lock in REVERSE, it doesnt make a sound. As soon as i drive forward again... its back.

Starting to get to me an i dont want to keep replacing things one at a time.

Please help!
Definitely not a cracked/buckled wheel?
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:14 pm

Bent hub/dead wheel bearing?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

bobmoo79
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by bobmoo79 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:47 pm

Sometimes when driving along rough surfaces (and oddly around roundabouts whatever the surface) there is a buzzing/rattle noise coming from directly in front of me. I think it's coming from the instrument cluster, or could be the steering column. I'm not sure, but I've tried pushing on the instrument cluster screen, the plastic surround, the steering column plastic while driving but nothing seems to stop it. I can't replicate the sound when the car's stationary so I'm a but stuck at the moment.

Does anybody have a fix for this??

EDIT:
I'm now confident this is the steering column trim, and luckily I have currently got a 118i courtesy car so have been able to figure out how to take the trim apart. All you need to do is give the top half of the steering column trim a good yank upwards. I found it's easier to do this if you grab the bit nearest the display cluster (where the leather effect material is attached). Once you have released one of the clips it's easy to work around until the whole piece is unclipped. Now I just need to get my car back so I can try adding some felt tape or even door insulation tape (coz it's thicker) to see if any of it stops the noise.......will update post later

EDIT 2:

Ok so I added some door insulation tape (available from all good DIY stores!) around the inside of the upper trim. That has definitely improved the noise but sometimes it can still be heard, usually when the weather is hot. I'll have to take this apart again and try the felt tape along the edges where the pieces of trim meet. I'll report back when I have more news.....

spl23

Post by spl23 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:44 pm

Recently fixed a rattle from the rear cabin on my F20 LCI that had been driving me slowly mad... It only occurred on certain road surfaces, but was a high-pitched buzz / rattle - sounded like something hard and plastic was rattling against the rear glass. I tried everything I could think of - removing the parcel shelf, dropping the back seats, TESA tape on the hatch trim - no joy.

Turned out it was the little plastic flaps that cover the mounting points for the rear luggage separating net, which are on the C pillars just behind the rear seats - the plastic cover flaps are slightly loose and rattle against the mounting points at some frequencies. Easy fix - I got some thin rubber sheet (about 1mm thick), cut a couple of pieces about 1cm x 2cm and used double-sided tape to stick them to the centre of the flaps (on the inside, so the rubber is sandwiched between the flap and the mounting point when shut. Works like a charm - no more rattle. Something like foam draught excluder would probably work just as well.

Incidentally, the best tool I have found for locating rattles is the CD of Mike Oldfield's soundtrack to "The Space Movie". It's a dreadful thing to listen to, as it is just a bunch of narration and rocket noises with vague music in the background, but the rocket noises are great for sending loud low-frequency vibrations through your car at a range of frequencies, which encourages loose bits to move. Put CD in head unit, turn up to about 3/4 volume, sit in car until you hear rattling...
2015 F20 LCI 125i

MichalS
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MichalS » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:19 pm

Can you hear to this and give me a hint. Please watch till the end.

https://youtu.be/kbfVx3O-qUk
E82 '08 120D, Black Sapphire
Retrofitted: Prof. HU, MULF2 + USB + Bluetooth, PDC Front and Back, Logic 7, Xenon front, black lines back.
To Go: Electric Heated seats, 335D engine + exhaust + gearbox + diff, sport brakes and suspension.

Return to “BMW Problems”