Squeaks, creaks and rattles - The Total Guide

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

bob28

Re: Squeaks, creaks and rattles - The Total Guide

Postby bob28 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:24 pm

:cry: After a period of no creaking on the windows - it came back with a vengeance. Had the rubbers replaced by BMW Dealer saying they changed the rubber suppliers as the silicone was washing off over time and so the creaking would start. They have promised the sound won't come back. But yesterday much worse happened - an almighty crack from behind my head - got home found nothing due to it being dark. Checked again this morning - rear offside door pillar shattered right across. Checked the others and all have hairline cracks in too!. Not happy - I want the number now for the complaints department/customer relations at BMW....does anyone have it (for UK) Dealer have said they will sort - no chance - they've had enough goes to fix!!!!!!

CrunchBytes

Postby CrunchBytes » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:44 pm

Bob28 - which rubbers did you replace? And is your 1er a 5 door?

I've been unable to stop my creaking windows!! It's driving me nuts. I think I've found 2 issues:
1: the black plastic panel that's at the rear pillar of the door was rattling - this has been cured by a small piece of **SPAM** roll (seriously!) rolled up and tightly wedged on the inside of the door pillar (where the plastic wraps round on the door pillar) between the plastic and the door. Rattle sorted!

2: the rubber door/window seal creaks around the top of the door, where the window hits the top - it's this I haven't been able to fix. The best I've been able to get to fixing this is temporarily by using WD40 - spray on the top inside (where the seal touches the car when the door is closed - it's got 'felt' along 2 edges) and also on the outside and rub well with a finger.
This fixes the creaks for a few days, but then it starts creaking again, I'm guessing as the WD40 all evaporates away.
I also tried silicon spray (generic from our local hardware store), but it's rubbish - doesn't stop the creaks at all!

I think for problem no. 2 I'm going to have to invest in some Krytox.

I'm also considering replacing the outer rubber seals on the doors - anyone know how much they cost??

Cheers, Richard
120d Sport, 55 plate, standard apart from Bluetooth - love the MP3 CD-changer - 5 albums per CD! :-)

bob28

Postby bob28 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Rich,Mine is a two year old 1er 5 door.

Every rubber around the window on every door has been replaced three times by BMW. They say it didn't cure the problem because each of the rubbers has a coating of silicone on them and this over time has been wearing off on the older rubbers which was a similar problem with the 3 series model.

There have been several problems with all parts of the rubbers at various stages:

*The black plastic inside that hides metal clips and can be pushed up from inside kept slipping down and showing all the mechanism/clips etc.
*The rubber inside where the window sits where the creak comes from-constant creaking - and i know BMW lubricate this heavily as after rain or a wash the car window is full of the stuff/wax!

The latest issue - I really don't don't whats caused it - the black panel has cracked - I thought this was odd bu then found it the same on other windows too.....had enough now - car is under two years old and I have had nothing but problems with the windows which has completely spoilt the car....Think I will be going back to Audi - or may try LandRover out!!

CrunchBytes

Postby CrunchBytes » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:48 pm

G Hutch wrote:H i Guys n Girls, thought i would let everyone know that i have found another soloution to stop the windows creaking, its not a cheep option but is the mutts nutts!! My dad had this problem with his old 3 series and went to bmw to see if he could get it fixed, they said for a special order he could get some rubber lubricant to put around the door seals and window rubbers and its great if anybody is intrested the part number is 83199408523 30quid for 30mls but worth every penny, last for about 6 months IT DOES WORK

I can now vouch for the absolutely magical qualities of this liquid! It's rebadged DuPont Krytox liquid libricant, and it's absolutely bl**dy fantastic! Well worth the price.

I bought a bottle from my local dealer for £33.50 and it's worth every penny. Then I cleaned the rubber seals around my driver and passenger doors (well, actually Andy did form Walkers Auto Tech!) and then we applied the liquid - a little goes a very long way.

I used the 'dabber' attached to the bottle with a slight squeeze to get the juices flowing (!) and the applied all over the inside edge of my rubber window seals on the front and rear door doors, I then used my finger to give it a good rubbing. Improvement was an immediate 70% reduction in creaking. I then applied to underneath the rubber where it joins the door, squeezed a little onto my finger and run than on the inside of the seal under where the top of the window winds into, and then using the dabber did both the front and rear door seals.

Result!! No more creaking - and it's been quiet for a few weeks now. Haven't washed the car yet though... But the stuff it should last between washes, allegedly...

The car is SOOOOO much nicer to drive now! No more annoying creaks and rattles right in my ear.

As I've posted before, WD-40 worked - but only for a week. So far, 2.5 weeks in and all is good.

And I've still got about 4/5 bottle left, so a little really does go a long way!

So, creaking doors? Get the right stuff!

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers, Richard
120d Sport, 55 plate, standard apart from Bluetooth - love the MP3 CD-changer - 5 albums per CD! :-)

Ebi

Postby Ebi » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:04 pm

i get a very annoying squeak from the rear suspension evrey time i get into and out of the car, any idea what it could be ? :?

Anthony
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Postby Anthony » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:30 pm

Ebi wrote:i get a very annoying squeak from the rear suspension evrey time i get into and out of the car, any idea what it could be ? :?

Lack of exercise and too many chocolates?

It could be rubber bushes or the rubber bump stop in the springs possibly. You could try pressure washing under the wheel arches and underbody just to see if that changes things even temporarily. Concentrate on the springs and dampers ect.

alzieboy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby alzieboy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:50 pm

Try this on window and door rubbers, I have, it works, very usefull on the 3 door e81 in the winter months ,stops the windows sticking when you unlock ,as the windows need to drop slightly when you unlock door

Einszett Gummi Pflege, Rubber Care Stick, 100ml.

Got mine on ebay
2009 (59) 118D Sport 3Door

stefan
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby stefan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:01 pm

I have 1 very annoying creak. It's from the centre arm rest, every time I put my arm on it. I think it's the hinge, but could also be from the latch. Anyone cured any similar problems?

*edit - sorry! I'll read the post from the beginning next time! Page 1 - problem solved! Doh!

Nealcon

Postby Nealcon » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:24 am

Hi folks,

Have noticed a low pitch whine from what sounds like the front right side of the car. Only noticable when power is applied and seems to go when you come off the gas. Haven't noticed it before but that doesnt mean it's just appeared as normally I have music on everytime I am driving. Sounds like it could be a pump or motor of some sorts.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Neal
118d M-Sport Coupe

Anthony

Postby Anthony » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:38 am

Slipping belt?

dyrlege

Postby dyrlege » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:27 pm

Anthony wrote:I think that you may find that a silicon lubricant will work better and last longer than water. One can find it in aerosol spray form at Halfords and most probably most other motor factors. I have used it on a number of vehicles on rubber and plastic joints to prevent squeaking, squealing and creaking, etc. and have fund that it works quite well.

I've used the same on the rubber "receiving slot" for the top of the front door windows which were rattling and creaking. It helped.
My car had done around 50000 mls when the noise first became apparent, so I assumed it had something to do with rubber wndow seals drying out, thus allowing the glass more play in the groove.
Silicone helped.
Per
"dyrlege"
Fredrikstad, SE Norway
116i, 116d was coming up, changed on the way to a 2,7d Jag XF

Onehp
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Onehp » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:24 am

spl23 wrote:I have finally managed to fix a rattle from behind the dash on my 130 that was driving me insane, and that the dealer had failed to fix despite three separate attempts and damaging various bits of trim in the process...

The rattle was coming from the passenger-side dash, and sounded to me as if it was from the vicinity of the airbag. You could actually stop it by pressing firmly on the dash above the passenger airbag. I was convinced it was the airbag having worked loose, but the dealer seemed not to agree...

Long story short - an intermittent rattle from behind the passenger dash *is* the airbag. It's a trivial fix, but unfortunately getting to the airbag is a fairly involved procedure:

1) Remove passenger side air vent - push a thin plastic card down between the vent and the dash while you lever out the retaining clip you can see while looking through the vent. Once you have that clip released, lever out the retaining clip on the other side and pull the vent out forwards.
2) Remove the small panel immediately below the air vent - held in by 4 clips, just pull towards you at the top.
3) Remove dash end panel - pull the rubber door seal away from the door frame, insert screwdriver or similar between end panel and dash and lever towards door to remove clips. Slide dash end panel downwards and out.
4) Remove trim above glovebox / stereo - the long piece of silver (on the 130) plastic. Easy - get a screwdriver underneath it and lever upwards working along its length to remove the 5 pins.
5) Remove trim around stereo - undo two Torx head screws at top left and right (revealed after step 4) and pull trim panel off towards rear of car.
6) Remove passenger floor trim - remove three Torx head screws from floor trim. Also remove plastic clip holding floor trim to centre console - pull out centre pin, and then lever out clip surround. Pull trim towards rear of car to remove.
7) Remove glovebox light - insert knife blade or similar at end nearest centre console and lever downwards. Unplug wiring connector from light.
8) Remove glovebox - undo Torx screws all around glovebox - two on brackets underneath floor trim, three along top of glovebox under silver trim, three to the left of the stereo, two below passenger air vent location. Pull glovebox towards you while using a screwdriver to lever it off the pins at the top.

The procedure above is described in a lot more detail in the TIS, with pictures. I strongly recommend getting a copy (try eBay) if you want to do this.

Once the glovebox is out, you can see the airbag above it. It is secured by 4 nuts, 2 at each end. Slacken these enough to get the airbag loose enough to move, and then tighten them carefully and gradually in turn, using a torque wrench to get to the recommended torque of 8Nm (which isn't much). Be very careful when working near the airbag - it might be advisable to disconnect the battery and allow the airbag controller time to discharge. See the TIS for airbag handling recommendations.

Refit glovebox and all trim in reverse order. Take car out for a drive, and (as Depeche Mode once suggested) enjoy the silence...

Great! I think I have this one too-not very often but extremely loud and annoying when it's there. Will ask dealer to try to fix it once again and if they fail, I'll have a try myself... (got TIS).

Should be put in the first post summary!
E81 123d - gone but not forgotten
GT86

"Never drive faster than you can see"

Dave A

Postby Dave A » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:45 pm

I have an '05 120d which is lovely but seems to squeak / rattle from the base of the A pillar where it meets the dash. It comes from both sides annoyingly, and I've not tried to fix it yet. I was debating using WD40 down the gap but am worried about damaging the dash itself... It does stop rattling if you push on the basre of the A pillar. Don't want to remove this, as it's got the Airbag in the top of it! Anyone any idea's?

Thanks

Dave A

Postby Dave A » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:46 pm

I have an '05 120d which is lovely but seems to squeak / rattle from the base of the A pillar where it meets the dash. It comes from both sides annoyingly, and I've not tried to fix it yet. I was debating using WD40 down the gap but am worried about damaging the dash itself... It does stop rattling if you push on the base of the A pillar. Don't want to remove this, as it's got the Airbag in the top of it! Anyone any idea's?

Thanks

Steedie
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby Steedie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:10 pm

Dave A wrote:I have an '05 120d which is lovely but seems to squeak / rattle from the base of the A pillar where it meets the dash. It comes from both sides annoyingly, and I've not tried to fix it yet. I was debating using WD40 down the gap but am worried about damaging the dash itself... It does stop rattling if you push on the base of the A pillar. Don't want to remove this, as it's got the Airbag in the top of it! Anyone any idea's?

Thanks

I have this too, I'd appreciate any ideas as it drives me mental
120d SE (2005)

Return to “BMW Problems”