Cleaning alloys

How to look after your paintwork

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Gaznrx8
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Re: Cleaning alloys

Post by Gaznrx8 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:51 am

Same here.

Unless the callipers are slightly smaller on the m135i.

The big EZ brush squizzers in but the small version would be better.

AJ_
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:13 am

Re: Cleaning alloys

Post by AJ_ » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:36 am

I use a combination of a Wo-Wo wheel mitt and a EZ wheel brush (Small) for the fronts and the insides/behind the spokes. I then have a Valet Pro detailing brush for the nuts :)

AJ
F20 LCI 116d M Sport (Estoril Blue)

Gaznrx8
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Re: Cleaning alloys

Post by Gaznrx8 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:38 pm

I’ve just ordered the small ez wheel brush :)

neilmcl
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 750
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:21 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: Cleaning alloys

Post by neilmcl » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:08 pm

The only thing I'll add about the EZ brush and why I no longer have one is the rubber tip on the end of the brush can come off and if you don't notice it soon enough you could end up catching and scratching your wheels.
2016 F20 LCI 120d M Sport, Alpine White, Driver & Interior Comfort Pack, Leather, Sun protection, Black panel display
2013 F20 120d xDrive M Sport, Alpine White, Comfort Pack, Xenons, Leather, Sun protection
2009 E87 118D M Sport Alpine White

2Stevo2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:34 am

Re: Cleaning alloys

Post by 2Stevo2 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Further to this topic, can any of u guys recommend a good cleaning solution?

I have always used Devils Blood on previous vehicles (Seat/Mazda) but for some reason it is nowhere near as effective on my BMW alloys.

Btw I use the EZ Detail brush and have always found it to be gr8.
F20 120d M-Sport Auto plus extras

neilmcl
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 750
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:21 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: Cleaning alloys

Post by neilmcl » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:32 pm

2Stevo2 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:49 pm
Further to this topic, can any of u guys recommend a good cleaning solution?

I have always used Devils Blood on previous vehicles (Seat/Mazda) but for some reason it is nowhere near as effective on my BMW alloys.

Btw I use the EZ Detail brush and have always found it to be gr8.
TBH, if you clean then seal your wheels then all you'll need is normal car shampoo. Failing that the best wheel cleaner I've used is Bilt Hamber Auto Wheels.
2016 F20 LCI 120d M Sport, Alpine White, Driver & Interior Comfort Pack, Leather, Sun protection, Black panel display
2013 F20 120d xDrive M Sport, Alpine White, Comfort Pack, Xenons, Leather, Sun protection
2009 E87 118D M Sport Alpine White

AJ_
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:13 am

Re: Cleaning alloys

Post by AJ_ » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:14 pm

I’d agree with Neil. Only used two products for wheels for many years, Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel or Valet Pro Billbery, both of which are diluted in a very weak solution and cost effective.

AJ
F20 LCI 116d M Sport (Estoril Blue)

2Stevo2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:34 am

Re: Cleaning alloys

Post by 2Stevo2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Thanks for the advice lads.

Having owned the car for three weeks, today was the first time Ive had the opportunity to spend a good amount of time properly cleaning the car.

The paintwork has come up a treat, looks like it came out the showroom however......

The inside of the front wheels are terrible!! Proper baked on break dust that the former owner has never cleaned off and that I can not shift. Tried everything. The rear wheels came up a dream.

Anyone any suggestions RE chemicals for this sort of thing?

Image

Image
F20 120d M-Sport Auto plus extras

R5_RXK
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:23 am

Re: Cleaning alloys

Post by R5_RXK » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:32 pm

2Stevo2 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:10 pm
Thanks for the advice lads.

Having owned the car for three weeks, today was the first time Ive had the opportunity to spend a good amount of time properly cleaning the car.

The paintwork has come up a treat, looks like it came out the showroom however......

The inside of the front wheels are terrible!! Proper baked on break dust that the former owner has never cleaned off and that I can not shift. Tried everything. The rear wheels came up a dream.

Anyone any suggestions RE chemicals for this sort of thing?

Image

Image



hiya mate i recently invested in some Bilt Hamber autowheels. This stuff really is the dogs bo***cks highly recommend. Also for lots of good tips / cleaning advise highly recommend the guys over on detailing world. Have recently got the bug myself and getting to grips with machine polishing for the first time :spotman:

see below

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-a ... _1339.html
Owner of BMW E81 Sparkling Graphite M Sport 3 Door Hatchback

R5_RXK
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:23 am

Re: Cleaning alloys

Post by R5_RXK » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:33 pm

just realise that links to the 5L . you can buy it in 1L version too from many places
Owner of BMW E81 Sparkling Graphite M Sport 3 Door Hatchback

2Stevo2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:34 am

Re: Cleaning alloys

Post by 2Stevo2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:38 pm

R5_RXK wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:33 pm
just realise that links to the 5L . you can buy it in 1L version too from many places
Thanks m8, your not the 1st to advise on that stuff. Think ill give it a try.

***edit***

Purchased and will arrive tommorow. Ill post an update 2moro night 👍
Last edited by 2Stevo2 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F20 120d M-Sport Auto plus extras

R5_RXK
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:23 am

Re: Cleaning alloys

Post by R5_RXK » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:43 pm

2Stevo2 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:38 pm
R5_RXK wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:33 pm
just realise that links to the 5L . you can buy it in 1L version too from many places
Thanks m8, your not the 1st to advise on that stuff. Think ill give it a try.

Have u had experience of this removing the proper baked on dust that most wheel cleaners cant shift?

this is what its meant for yeah :) its not your usual alloy cleaner . I used it on mine literally yesterday and wheels had not been cleaned in way over 6 months. absolutely black and covered in brake dust. Literally have come up like new. I wouldnt use it on my wheels all the time as its very powerful. you'll tell just by the smell. For regular cleaning to shift just light brake dust every few weeks id use something like this:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/valet-pro ... d_499.html

given its very stubborn id defo choose Bilt Hamber over this.
Owner of BMW E81 Sparkling Graphite M Sport 3 Door Hatchback

glew08
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:12 pm

Re: Cleaning alloys

Post by glew08 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:13 pm

Clay bar for stubborn marks.

Post Reply

Return to “Cleaning & detailing your car”