How to clean between alloy wheel spokes - very narrow gap

How to look after your paintwork

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

paddyboy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

How to clean between alloy wheel spokes - very narrow gap

Post by paddyboy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:41 pm

I was going to get a muc-off brush for cleaning the alloys on my 130i - they are the standard alloys (don't know the number or style)

The muc-off brush will be fine in the big gaps but the very narrow gaps between the spokes I will need quite a small brush

What are people using for this? I don't want to pay loads as a muc-off is only a fiver and came top in the Auto Express review
'09' 130i M Sport Auto - Le Mans Blue / Boston Beige Leather

paddyboy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: How to clean between alloy wheel spokes - very narrow gap

Post by paddyboy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Well I just had a thought ..... may have come up with a solution to my little problem

The babies toothbrush I use to clean my dogs teeth is very small and quite soft just wondering if that will fit in the narrow gap between the spokes

Need to have a look in day light ..... any other suggestions more than welcome

nivens
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by nivens » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:39 pm

I use one of the envy style detailing brushes to get into the gaps in the 208s on the 130i and they work fine on the set of 207 alloys I use for winters too. It's much easier to get them well cleaned and sealed up when they're off the car so most of the crap doesn't need scrubbed off though. I'd worry about using anything similar to a toothbrush incase you rub the alloy with the back of the brush trying to push it into the gap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-d ... B00AING4EA
2005 E87 130i

paddyboy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by paddyboy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:51 pm

nivens wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:39 pm
I use one of the envy style detailing brushes to get into the gaps in the 208s on the 130i and they work fine on the set of 207 alloys I use for winters too. It's much easier to get them well cleaned and sealed up when they're off the car so most of the crap doesn't need scrubbed off though. I'd worry about using anything similar to a toothbrush incase you rub the alloy with the back of the brush trying to push it into the gap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-d ... B00AING4EA
Cheers for the reply nivens

You're right I need to think more in terms of getting the alloys cleaned + sealed in the 1st place then the dog can keep his toothbrush!

What would you recommend for cleaning + sealing the 208s?

nivens
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by nivens » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:15 pm

I've been using a couple of coats FK1000p to seal wheels and paintwork for years but there's plenty of nano sealants designed for wheels now so might be worth having a look at those too. A good sealant should last at least 6-8 months so you should never need much more than soapy water to clean the wheels if you're staying on top of things. I use bilt hamber autowheel for the thorough cleans when I'm changing wheels over and resealing but I don't see much wrong with using something harsher like wonder wheels as a one off to get them properly cleaned initially.
2005 E87 130i

paddyboy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by paddyboy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:01 am

Cheers for that Nivens :thumbs:

Looks like Finish Kare has been around a while - just saw this review from 2008 on Detailing World and they definitely liked the stuff

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=86899

I'm new to this detailing and I've just had a winter detail done on my car so the alloys did get sealed but I doubt very much the guy took each wheel off to do it - he didn't mention that and I can't see how he would have been able to in the time available

So I'm thinking come the spring with the better weather as I don't have a heated garage (or any garage for that matter) to work in .... my brake calipers need some tidying up as they have been previously painted but it needs a re-fresh so when each wheel is off the alloy can have a deep clean and then a sealant like you suggest and then general maintenance cleaning becomes a very easy task

Return to “Cleaning & detailing your car”