Washing Your Car Safetly

How to look after your paintwork

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Blackroc
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Washing Your Car Safetly

Post by Blackroc » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:00 pm

superram wrote:Excellent write up there fella, look forward to the next instalment :thumbs:
They are all their in the Stickies section :-)

Blackroc

Post by Blackroc » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:01 pm

Ratcliffe33 wrote:Wow! That is a good price :-)

The more expensive ones are designed to have much stronger chemicals than VP Citrus in them, thats why these style pump sprayers are so much cheaper.

Wheel acid cleaners for example if you buy them in bulk, will eat plastic and rubber seals very quickly - so the expensive ones are fitted with chemical resistant parts to last longer
Your just full of information !!![/quote]

Lol - my brain is full of useless detailing information ha! ;-)

iplod
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by iplod » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:42 pm

These guides are brilliant, great help to me as somebody who is interested in keeping my motor looking good but knows jack.

Thank you for taking the time to help us!

Blackroc

Post by Blackroc » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:59 pm

iplod wrote:These guides are brilliant, great help to me as somebody who is interested in keeping my motor looking good but knows jack.

Thank you for taking the time to help us!
Not a problem at all :-)

sootyvrs

Post by sootyvrs » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:53 pm

When using a pressure washer to blast off the snow foam, what distance is the nozzle to the paint as not to damage the paint but enough power to blast away the dirt?

I guess there is a fine line as pressure washers can do some serious damage up close!

Another question about snow foam is how long does it stay on your driveway?
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

BaV
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by BaV » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:27 pm

sootyvrs wrote:When using a pressure washer to blast off the snow foam, what distance is the nozzle to the paint as not to damage the paint but enough power to blast away the dirt?

I guess there is a fine line as pressure washers can do some serious damage up close!

I have my pressure washer around 30cm's away from the car when blasting off the foam.

And in this cold weather foam wants to stay around for ages! I have got into the habit of hosing down my driveway after washing the car to get rid of all the foam otherwise it would still be there a day after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackroc

Washing Your Car Safetly

Post by Blackroc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:11 pm

sootyvrs wrote:When using a pressure washer to blast off the snow foam, what distance is the nozzle to the paint as not to damage the paint but enough power to blast away the dirt?

I tend to stand about 5 to 6 ft away from the car, with the nozzle about a meter away from the car.

I try and avoid hitting each panel 'head on' where possible if that makes sense, preferring to work from a slight angle.

As for foam, I don't have any issues with foam disappearing way before I've finished working on the car. I'm assuming you are referring to AB Magifoam at this point? I don't like that stuff - doesn't clean well enough, smells chemically and the foam hangs around for ages.

If you are struggling to clear it, using a very mild APC in a sprayer or try washing up liquid mixed with water into a sprayer sprayed on the foam should help to clean it up :-)

sootyvrs

Post by sootyvrs » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:43 pm

Blackroc wrote: As for foam, I don't have any issues with foam disappearing way before I've finished working on the car. I'm assuming you are referring to AB Magifoam at this point? I don't like that stuff - doesn't clean well enough, smells chemically and the foam hangs around for ages.

If you are struggling to clear it, using a very mild APC in a sprayer or try washing up liquid mixed with water into a sprayer sprayed on the foam should help to clean it up :-)
I'm a snow foam virgin and have the autobrite lance with 500ml samples of super snow foam and migifoam arriving very soon so going to give both a try seeing they are part of package.

I've noted your favorite snow foams, James, so may switch if I'm not impressed by the two I have but I guess they may last a few months yet. I also assume you mention that the foam has dissipated after you finish as you are doing a full session (circa 5 hours) but I'm just washing the car for maintenance...

I assume it's the concentration mix that will influence how "thick" the foam is and how long it hangs around for so perhaps use it a little weaker than recommended dose, especially for magifoam?

BaV wrote:
I have my pressure washer around 30cm's away from the car when blasting off the foam.

And in this cold weather foam wants to stay around for ages! I have got into the habit of hosing down my driveway after washing the car to get rid of all the foam otherwise it would still be there a day after.
You're lucky that your drives slopes downwards towards the road from seeing your sig picture... mines the opposite way where it slopes towards the house :(
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

BaV
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by BaV » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:22 pm

Yeah it all just ends up at the bottom of my drive and across the road! I'm currently using AB Magifoam and as mentioned it is bloody thick! Will be switching to one of Blackrock's recommendations when it has run out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary_LB
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Gary_LB » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:49 pm

I'm a snow foam virgin too but am awaiting arrival of Valet Pro snow foam and pre wash as we speak as after recommendation from Blackroc so I'll let you know how I get on next week
Now - 2017 Audi S4 Black Edition

Then - M235i, M135i, 120d M Sport Coupe, Subaru Impreza, Toyota Celica T Sport 190, VW Golf GTi Mk4, Saxo VTR

Harvey321

Post by Harvey321 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:34 pm

has anyone here ever used autofinesses avalanche pro? any thoughts on it compared to others?
F21 M135 LCI, Manual, Alpine White, Ordered
E87 120d M Sport - Glacier Silver

Blackroc

Post by Blackroc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:08 pm

Harvey321 wrote:has anyone here ever used autofinesses avalanche pro? any thoughts on it compared to others?
Avalanche is a good snowfoam, but quite expensive to use. It's a fairly 'watery' snowfoam so you end up using more than you would with say Valet Pro Advanced.

Cleaning power is good though, very similar to CarChem snowfoam, but that is much cheaper to purchase :-)

Harvey321

Post by Harvey321 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:18 pm

cheers mate, taken the plunge and gone for avalanche see how i get on with it then may change to vp advanced

Harvey321

Post by Harvey321 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:34 pm

also what do i need to do when it comes to my second wash? just pre-wash and shampoo? or the whole process again?

Blackroc

Post by Blackroc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:45 pm

Harvey321 wrote:also what do i need to do when it comes to my second wash? just pre-wash and shampoo? or the whole process again?
Second wash? ;-)

Return to “Cleaning & detailing your car”