Decontaminating your Paintwork

How to look after your paintwork

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

User avatar
Blackroc
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 4109
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:12 pm
Location: Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Decontaminating your Paintwork

Post by Blackroc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Kernowlad wrote:Do you sell Autosmart Tardis? Our van is peppered in tar spots; it was machine polished only a month ago!!

I checked your website but couldn't find it.
Unfortunately not. Autosmart are a trade only business and only sell wholesale with a licence. You can get it in small amounts off eBay, but watch who you buy it off as lots of it isn't what it claims to be.

My nearest product is CarChem tar and glue remover - it's pretty much the same as Tardis to be fair!

User avatar
Blackroc
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 4109
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:12 pm
Location: Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Decontaminating your Paintwork

Post by Blackroc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Kernowlad wrote:
Blackroc wrote:
Kernowlad wrote:Do you sell Autosmart Tardis? Our van is peppered in tar spots; it was machine polished only a month ago!!

I checked your website but couldn't find it.
Unfortunately not. Autosmart are a trade only business and only sell wholesale with a licence. You can get it in small amounts off eBay, but watch who you buy it off as lots of it isn't what it claims to be.

My nearest product is CarChem tar and glue remover - it's pretty much the same as Tardis to be fair!
Possible tip; mostly recommend products you sell!
Ha ha! Autosmart have all their licences taken, and very little chance of it coming available up here!!

User avatar
Geo20
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:26 pm
Location: North West

Re: Decontaminating your Paintwork

Post by Geo20 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi, Great write up!

Would you recommend against using a sealant after using Auto Finesse Tripple ? As it sates its an all in one polish with wax in it. If so can you recommend a polish without wax, to allow the use of C2v3 Liquid Crystal?

Thanks

User avatar
Blackroc
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 4109
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:12 pm
Location: Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Decontaminating your Paintwork

Post by Blackroc » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:14 pm

Geo20 wrote:Hi, Great write up!

Would you recommend against using a sealant after using Auto Finesse Tripple ? As it sates its an all in one polish with wax in it. If so can you recommend a polish without wax, to allow the use of C2v3 Liquid Crystal?

Thanks
Thanks pal :-)

Tripple definitely alters protection lengths with sealants, so if you are looking for durability look at Auto Finesse Tough Prep or Werkstatt Prime paint cleansing polishes.

For ultimate durability though, apply c2v3 to bare paint, after being wiped down with an alcohol based cleaner (CarPro Eraser, Gyeon Prime, GTechniq Panel Wipe are 3 of the best)

Of course you don't get any swirls or marks hidden by the polish this way, but you will get the best durability :)

User avatar
Geo20
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:26 pm
Location: North West

Re: Decontaminating your Paintwork

Post by Geo20 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:36 pm

Blackroc wrote:
Geo20 wrote:Hi, Great write up!

Would you recommend against using a sealant after using Auto Finesse Tripple ? As it sates its an all in one polish with wax in it. If so can you recommend a polish without wax, to allow the use of C2v3 Liquid Crystal?

Thanks
Thanks pal :-)

Tripple definitely alters protection lengths with sealants, so if you are looking for durability look at Auto Finesse Tough Prep or Werkstatt Prime paint cleansing polishes.

For ultimate durability though, apply c2v3 to bare paint, after being wiped down with an alcohol based cleaner (CarPro Eraser, Gyeon Prime, GTechniq Panel Wipe are 3 of the best)

Of course you don't get any swirls or marks hidden by the polish this way, but you will get the best durability :)
Thanks for the suggestions, I have had my BS 1er for two weeks from new now (without BMW seal and protect) so I am looking to remove any potential fallout and get the paint looking as good as possible with a polish before sealing the paintwork to allow a regular maintenance wash. So I will look into the tough prep and prime paint, would the above mentioned be a good idea to use on dry, decontaminated alloys or would a good fallout remover/clean suffice before sealing the alloys ?

Sorry for all the Q's, I'm new to this intensity of cleaning and I am serious about maintaining the quality of my paintwork for the time I have the car (helps that I enjoy itImage)

User avatar
Blackroc
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 4109
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:12 pm
Location: Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Decontaminating your Paintwork

Post by Blackroc » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:38 pm

Geo20 wrote:
Blackroc wrote:
Geo20 wrote:Hi, Great write up!

Would you recommend against using a sealant after using Auto Finesse Tripple ? As it sates its an all in one polish with wax in it. If so can you recommend a polish without wax, to allow the use of C2v3 Liquid Crystal?

Thanks
Thanks pal :-)

Tripple definitely alters protection lengths with sealants, so if you are looking for durability look at Auto Finesse Tough Prep or Werkstatt Prime paint cleansing polishes.

For ultimate durability though, apply c2v3 to bare paint, after being wiped down with an alcohol based cleaner (CarPro Eraser, Gyeon Prime, GTechniq Panel Wipe are 3 of the best)

Of course you don't get any swirls or marks hidden by the polish this way, but you will get the best durability :)
Thanks for the suggestions, I have had my BS 1er for two weeks from new now (without BMW seal and protect) so I am looking to remove any potential fallout and get the paint looking as good as possible with a polish before sealing the paintwork to allow a regular maintenance wash. So I will look into the tough prep and prime paint, would the above mentioned be a good idea to use on dry, decontaminated alloys or would a good fallout remover/clean suffice before sealing the alloys ?

Sorry for all the Q's, I'm new to this intensity of cleaning and I am serious about maintaining the quality of my paintwork for the time I have the car (helps that I enjoy itImage)
Werkstatt Prime is particularly good on chrome and alloys, but always deep clean (fallout remove and tar remove) first. Dry, polish them up and seal ;-)

jamesclarkson
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: Decontaminating your Paintwork

Post by jamesclarkson » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:58 am

Some really interesting products, will have a to check a few out!

moraywalker
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:35 am

Re: Decontaminating your Paintwork

Post by moraywalker » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:22 pm

Could I just ask, on this subject.....is fallout remover (I've just bought dragons breath) used on the lower panels only? Eg below the door handles? Or should it be used all over?

Many thanks

Btw loving these guides, not too much jargon and nice clear explanations!

Thanks


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Blackroc
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 4109
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:12 pm
Location: Lancashire
Contact:

Decontaminating your Paintwork

Post by Blackroc » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:00 am

moraywalker wrote:Could I just ask, on this subject.....is fallout remover (I've just bought dragons breath) used on the lower panels only? Eg below the door handles? Or should it be used all over?

Many thanks

Btw loving these guides, not too much jargon and nice clear explanations!

Thanks


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Use it all over bodywork, as fallout never settles just on lower areas of your car, it will be everywhere. As long as you never let it dry on (or apply to hot paintwork) it's all good Image

TerryCTR
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:18 am

Re: Decontaminating your Paintwork

Post by TerryCTR » Sun May 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Does sealing/waxing protect against fallout so in effect you can prevent this stage being required?
M2 Lci

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 47376
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Decontaminating your Paintwork

Post by marco_polo » Sun May 15, 2016 12:09 pm

It helps prevent contamination sticking, but you'll still get a bit of iron 'rail dust' from your (and other peoples) brakes.

I use Bilt Hamber's 'Korrosol' once a year to safely remove it. Smells much nicer than Iron-X (a bit like battenburg cake) but it's still a touch sulphurous.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

User avatar
ihadablackdog
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 3305
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: Decontaminating your Paintwork

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue May 17, 2016 6:05 pm

marco_polo wrote:It helps prevent contamination sticking, but you'll still get a bit of iron 'rail dust' from your (and other peoples) brakes.

I use Bilt Hamber's 'Korrosol' once a year to safely remove it. Smells much nicer than Iron-X (a bit like battenburg cake) but it's still a touch sulphurous.
I used that on Debs car on Saturday and it really does work! The car had lots of marks just behind the front wheels and the tar remover wasn't touching it. All I know is that after using the fallout remover and letting it streak purple all over the car, when I power washed it off, the crud had gone! I have no idea what it was, cos obviously you can't really see fallout, apart from the orange specs. Also was able to do the whole car without it drying - it turned a bit gooey, but came off ok.

talal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:36 pm
Location: London

Re: Decontaminating your Paintwork

Post by talal » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:59 am

hi all,

very new to this so please appreciate I may say some daft things...

anyway I saw on here that the AF iron out stuff seemed to workl well for people on alloys so I bought a bottle and tested it out on my run around a 2004 celica tsport...

anyway It seemed to clean the wheels reasonably well, but now I am finding after a weeks of only using the car 3-4 times that the brake discs are really heavily rusted (they weren't before) and also one of the corners is now squeaking where I guess something has caught in the brake pad/disc...

anyone had any similar experiences and how did you resole it?

T
BMW 440i - carbon black - great machine!
Audi S5 Sportback - Chav white - All the toys and massive red bucket seats - gone
Audi S4 Avant - Midnight blue - Lots of Toys (died)
BMW 130i LE No Mods Great as standard! - Now sadly gone...

Post Reply

Return to “Cleaning & detailing your car”