Baby BMW Forum banner

avoiding dealer damage

15K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  glew08 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd post this one up from the other day - its an example of the damage that can be provided by dealers at no extra charge!

This particular car is an exige in my care following a full paint correction program a few months back. During the initial detail I noticed a defect area in the paint - common to Lotus and that is osmosis or small micro bubbles in the paint. I highlighted this to the owner and his plan was to take the car to the dealer (bought it brand new) to show him two things - the fact he had to have the car detailed after taking delivery because of their lousy prep and to highlight his paint problem.

He specifically instructed them not to wash it after wards after learning from me the potential damage they inflict. They didn't wash it however they provided some lovely scratches when their method of inspection was to rub their (Probably dirty) fingers across the area!

Have a look at this!

Lovely!

The owners predicament was this - does he take it back and complain and get them to 'repair' it or does he pay me to correct it and bill the garage? - he chose the latter

Upon further inspection I found swirling evident too adjacent to the area - we concluded that they had in fact washed and dried the area after inspection :eek2:

As the car had already been corrected the most crucial step was to re -asses the paint thickness. You may or may not know that lotus are of GRP composite construction and to measure this thickness effectively you need a PG that can measure it on composite substrates (V. Expensive tool) and not many detailers are prepared to shell out for one :rollseyes:

This tells me I have an overall paint thickness of 81 microns with the clear coat at 29 - Defect correction done correctly and safely removes only 1 or 2 microns

i approached with caution using a small head pad and finishing polish

this combination effectively removed the defect however it was done slowly - here are the results

So in all cases not only speak to the service dept and inform them not to wash or rub - also insist on speaking with the guy who is actually going to do the work and tell him/her what you insist on - DO NOT TOUCH!

Matt

See less See more
#2 ·
Good advice mate.

It just shows how easy it is to to damage the paintwork.....but then again dealers are experts at it! I always make them highlight 'No Wash' on the top of the service sheet and leave a note on the dash just incase due to an Audi dealer that took no notice....quite funny watching the service guy legging it down the forecourt to retrieve my car just as they were about to start.

#3 ·
I asked them NOT to clean or prep my car before delivery then due to the terrible weather at that time and the dealer saying they will make sure not to damage car i stupidly agreed for them to prep it. Bad move as it turned up with scratches and possibly the worst case of 3D holograming i have ever seen on a car, both sides entire length in sun had holgrams floating 2"- 3"off the side!!

Due to it just been built and painted i used BF gloss enhacing polish on polishing pad before a coat of BF wet diamong which removed it all much easier than expected. The full works for me very soon though as now done 3k and at least 8wks since painted.

#4 ·
I had my own detailer go in before delivery and prep the 135i and put on a coat of 22ple before I went to collect it. Looked amazing still a week or so after he did it when I went to collect it.

He was shocked when he saw them washing a customers car with a long handle brush and a cut down 45 gallon drum that was black with the dirt of the ,last several dozen cars they'd washed with it.

#5 ·
Kernowlad said:
I've just had a main dealer trash the paint on our £50k camper during it's first service.
It was so quick, I assumed they wouldn't "wash" it but they undid two years of careful washing and polishing in two minutes using a "broom" type brush to do it. Luckily I spotted it and got the service manager out to look.

It's going in on Friday to be sorted but it'll need a lot of work.
I guarantee they won't sort that, not properly anyway, potentially they will make it worse. That would take a MINIMUM of a days work to resolve, not a chance it will get that :-(

I'd demand they foot the bill to get it detailed correctly

#6 ·
[quote="Kernowlad"I'm going to find out what they plan to do; they use a bodyshop I went direct to when the missus clipped a low wall (!!) and they did do a very good job. It's covered in swirls/light scratches. What do you reckon it needs? I'm thinking a full machine polish the sealant? Detailers are thin on the ground here.
Meanwhile our M135i is also in for a roof repaint; a bad car paint week!!![/quote]

Yes it will need a full stage one machine polish if its sworled all over - this is why it will take all day. I highly suspect they will go down the 'hide it route' with a filler heavy polish, and an agressive polishing pad. All this will do will create further buffer trails that will appear as soon as you start getting it washed and seen out in the sunshine :eek2:

Dealers do not get swirl removal - they do what they can for the least time and the least cost :(

#7 ·
My M135i is at the dealer getting swirls out they caused. I went to see it yesterday apparently all done, and they were all still there, maybe even more. The really good service guy said they'd send it back, but made sure I'm there during daylight hours to see it again.

If they don't fix it I may be giving you a call and charging it to them blackroc!

#8 ·
mikey_tikes said:
Mine M135i is at the dealer getting swirls out they caused. I went to see it yesterday apparently all done, and they were all still there, maybe even more. The really good service guy said they'd send it back, but made sure I'm there during daylight hours to see it again.

If they don't fix it I may be giving you a call and charging it to them blackroc!
No problem - wont be the first :wink:

Kernowlad said:
I have a death beam torch I plan to take to inspect it all.

I can't believe BOTH our vehicles will be in this week for paint issues caused/missed by dealers!!
When I was at Citroen, I was horrified at what the Valeting and Sales Teams would do to hide scratches and marks on new cars prior to collection. This included using marker pen, hairspray, shoe polish and biro ink smeared across the paint to cover them!! :eek2: :(

Oh and standing in front of a dent in the wing so the pensioners wouldn't see it on handover.... :piss2:

#9 ·
I know, until now I did think it may be a private detailer/anti-dealer story. The annoying thing is my Seal & Protect was actually applied really well, with no swirls and really good finish/beading etc. But it's when they had it to fix a rattle (which the didn't even fix!) that they decided to clean it without asking and add all the swirls. I think my local dealer actually sends it to a valet/gets one in for the seal and protect and other bits, but when you leave it there with the service team they just chuck it in the wash bay and do it with what I can only assume is a scourer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.