Machine polishing

How to look after your paintwork

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

AdamHarbour
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Machine polishing

Post by AdamHarbour » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Need to machine polish my car to get rid of swirls and a few light scratches. Was looking at buying this kit https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152408440310

Is this a good kit to start considering I've never done this before?
N54 135i | JB4 | VRSF FMIC | VRSF down pipes | N55 mids | BMS charge pipe + BOV | Stage 1 LPFP | BMS meth kit | Carbon bonnet | Reiger diffuser | Darklines | MHD race flash | spec stage 3+ Clutch | MMP Inlets | 470hp-560ftlbs | 12.7@115mph 1/4 mile |

Anish1993
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Machine polishing

Post by Anish1993 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:05 pm

I can't see why there would be any problem with using that kit.

There's probably a lot of variety you can choose from anyway perhaps even cheaper.

At the end of the day I think machine polishing is more about technique, patience and preparation.

You wanna clean the car very throughly followed by decontaminating with iron x and clay bar before you even intend on machine'ing it. Makes the job easier and better results.

Someone on here might be able to advise in a better machine for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackroc

Re: Machine polishing

Post by Blackroc » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Hmmmm..

The polisher is fine as a starter (especially if you have never used one before..) but it will struggle with the harder BMW paint to remove the swirls as its not the most powerful machine to use. The products / compounds included are also not good enough to do more than an enhancement to the paint (they are not heavy enough to remove swirling on German paint, only cover them up)

Then their is Monza themselves - they had stolen the use of many of my images and passing them off as their own! Yes really! They have paid me for them now but says alot about them passing off others peoples work as theirs!

If you want some ideas of better products (and cheaper with better service!) then PM me and I'll get back to you tomorrow..

two-three-five-aaaayt
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by two-three-five-aaaayt » Mon May 29, 2017 11:36 am

Blackroc wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:25 pm
Hmmmm..

The polisher is fine as a starter (especially if you have never used one before..) but it will struggle with the harder BMW paint to remove the swirls as its not the most powerful machine to use. The products / compounds included are also not good enough to do more than an enhancement to the paint (they are not heavy enough to remove swirling on German paint, only cover them up)

Then their is Monza themselves - they had stolen the use of many of my images and passing them off as their own! Yes really! They have paid me for them now but says alot about them passing off others peoples work as theirs!

If you want some ideas of better products (and cheaper with better service!) then PM me and I'll get back to you tomorrow..
Is the rupes LHR21ES a better polisher for the BMWs? And what pads would you recommend for compounding/polishing?
2015 Black Saphire M235i auto. M performance external parts and MPE incoming!

RBS Bob
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RBS Bob » Mon May 29, 2017 4:01 pm

Have a look at Junkman 2000 on YouTube for various guides.
2015 135i F20 Auto Alpine White Red Leather. 1992 1.9 Peugeot 205 GTI. Honda 125 gone......KTM 2 640 on route.

Blackroc

Post by Blackroc » Mon May 29, 2017 5:13 pm

two-three-five-aaaayt wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 11:36 am
Blackroc wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:25 pm
Hmmmm..

Is the rupes LHR21ES a better polisher for the BMWs? And what pads would you recommend for compounding/polishing?
The Rupes is a much better machine, however get the LHR15 not the 21 - the number dictates the amount of throw (distance the machine head moves in one spin) and the 21 is too much to use around handles / fragile areas.

However, if it HAS to be the 21, look at the identical machine by Vertool: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing ... _1391.html

ad_123d_coupe

Post by ad_123d_coupe » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:50 pm

I use a Rupes, and must say it’s an awesome machine. Need to invest in another with a smaller size for those intricate areas!
Now
2016 F20 M140i - Black Sapphire

Previous
2012 E82 123D Sport Plus Edition - Carbon Black
2005 E46 330CI M Sport - Sparkling Graphite Grey
2002 Leon Cupra R - Black

cameronmurray3

Post by cameronmurray3 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:01 am

any recommendations for a good budget polisher? (<100) or is it no such thing? don't want to spend money if it's not really worth it but also I don't feel the need to get an all singing all dancing one. Cheers!
Current: Sapphire black E82 120D poverty spec. Stage 1 (228bhp) bilstein b12+eibach pro kit 225/35R19 tyres
Previous: 2003 BMW 318ci SE

Boombap

Post by Boombap » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:27 pm

cameronmurray3 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:01 am
any recommendations for a good budget polisher? (<100) or is it no such thing? don't want to spend money if it's not really worth it but also I don't feel the need to get an all singing all dancing one. Cheers!
in2detailing are selling the das6pro for £100.. don't forget you will need accompanying pads and polish/compound ;)

I went for scholl s20 and their honey and purple pads.. although would recommend their navy blue pad if you have some deep scratches too.

cadmunkey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by cadmunkey » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Boombap wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:27 pm
I went for scholl s20 and their honey and purple pads..
Good rec, the Scholl is superb on BMW paint.
OP, its a balancing act between spending too much on kit that you wont use again, or just going to a reputable detailer nearby to do the job for you for probably the same type of cost.

Boombap

Post by Boombap » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:04 pm

cadmunkey wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:39 pm
Boombap wrote:
OP, its a balancing act between spending too much on kit that you wont use again, or just going to a reputable detailer nearby to do the job for you for probably the same type of cost.
Yeah depends whether you have the time, patience and determination to do it yourself.

I did and for probably half the cost of a professional detailer.

I'm sure if you know the right person can be done for cheaper, but that will probably be more akin to doing it yourself.

Also just using your machine twice, makes it money well spent(in investment terms).

cameronmurray3

Post by cameronmurray3 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:49 am

cadmunkey wrote:
Boombap wrote:
good point well made, i'm trying to keep it sensible and not get too caught up on brands and products. Theres a guy where i live that will do it for around 220 quid for a 2 stage, however I wouldn't mind trying it as a learning experience. I might be so sick of it i'll never try it again!!

I'm thinking wash, tar, rinse, iron remover, wash, (maybe clay), megs compound, IPA wipe, SRP, then megs gold class carnuba (or maybe i'll buy something better). On the bright side i already have said products so thats something i suppose. Thinking of getting these two items:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kestrel-DAS- ... 1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292317442133
Current: Sapphire black E82 120D poverty spec. Stage 1 (228bhp) bilstein b12+eibach pro kit 225/35R19 tyres

Boombap

Post by Boombap » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:27 am

cameronmurray3 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:49 am
cadmunkey wrote:
Boombap wrote:
good point well made, i'm trying to keep it sensible and not get too caught up on brands and products. Theres a guy where i live that will do it for around 220 quid for a 2 stage, however I wouldn't mind trying it as a learning experience. I might be so sick of it i'll never try it again!!

I'm thinking wash, tar, rinse, iron remover, wash, (maybe clay), megs compound, IPA wipe, SRP, then megs gold class carnuba (or maybe i'll buy something better). On the bright side i already have said products so thats something i suppose. Thinking of getting these two items:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kestrel-DAS- ... 1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292317442133
I'd recommend sticking to well know brands for the pads mate, as they will make the most difference :)

To make things easier I clayed my car on a previous day

rtorbs
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rtorbs » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:14 pm

I'd probably get a das6 ...(same machine just 60 cheaper)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing ... d_519.html

Dual action do less damage because of the oscillating action but subsequently take more effort to cut

Orbitals are better but you can easily do more damage.

A cheap correction job is gonna cost you 500 quid at least so you can quickly save money by investing in the gear yourself but on the flip you can totally f**k your paintwork up too so you have to take extreme care, particularly on the bodywork creases where the paint is thinner.

Also you might want to invest in a digital paint thickness guage so you know what you're working with before you start should you decide to take the plunge.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

cameronmurray3

Post by cameronmurray3 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:34 pm

It’s a tightrope, that one in the link is a DAS-6 isn’t it?

Return to “Cleaning & detailing your car”