Machine polishing

How to look after your paintwork

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

AdamHarbour
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Machine polishing

Post by AdamHarbour » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Need to machine polish my car to get rid of swirls and a few light scratches. Was looking at buying this kit https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152408440310

Is this a good kit to start considering I've never done this before?
N54 135i | JB4 | VRSF FMIC | VRSF down pipes | N55 mids | BMS charge pipe + BOV | Stage 1 LPFP | BMS meth kit | Carbon bonnet | Reiger diffuser | Darklines | MHD race flash | spec stage 3+ Clutch | MMP Inlets | 470hp-560ftlbs | 12.7@115mph 1/4 mile |

Anish1993
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Machine polishing

Post by Anish1993 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:05 pm

I can't see why there would be any problem with using that kit.

There's probably a lot of variety you can choose from anyway perhaps even cheaper.

At the end of the day I think machine polishing is more about technique, patience and preparation.

You wanna clean the car very throughly followed by decontaminating with iron x and clay bar before you even intend on machine'ing it. Makes the job easier and better results.

Someone on here might be able to advise in a better machine for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackroc

Re: Machine polishing

Post by Blackroc » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Hmmmm..

The polisher is fine as a starter (especially if you have never used one before..) but it will struggle with the harder BMW paint to remove the swirls as its not the most powerful machine to use. The products / compounds included are also not good enough to do more than an enhancement to the paint (they are not heavy enough to remove swirling on German paint, only cover them up)

Then their is Monza themselves - they had stolen the use of many of my images and passing them off as their own! Yes really! They have paid me for them now but says alot about them passing off others peoples work as theirs!

If you want some ideas of better products (and cheaper with better service!) then PM me and I'll get back to you tomorrow..

two-three-five-aaaayt

Post by two-three-five-aaaayt » Mon May 29, 2017 11:36 am

Blackroc wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:25 pm
Hmmmm..

The polisher is fine as a starter (especially if you have never used one before..) but it will struggle with the harder BMW paint to remove the swirls as its not the most powerful machine to use. The products / compounds included are also not good enough to do more than an enhancement to the paint (they are not heavy enough to remove swirling on German paint, only cover them up)

Then their is Monza themselves - they had stolen the use of many of my images and passing them off as their own! Yes really! They have paid me for them now but says alot about them passing off others peoples work as theirs!

If you want some ideas of better products (and cheaper with better service!) then PM me and I'll get back to you tomorrow..
Is the rupes LHR21ES a better polisher for the BMWs? And what pads would you recommend for compounding/polishing?
2015 Black Saphire M235i auto. M performance external parts and MPE incoming!

RBS Bob
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RBS Bob » Mon May 29, 2017 4:01 pm

Have a look at Junkman 2000 on YouTube for various guides.
2015 135i F20 Auto Alpine White Red Leather. 1992 1.9 Peugeot 205 GTI Black. Motorbike..........well scooter really. Honda SH 125i

Blackroc

Post by Blackroc » Mon May 29, 2017 5:13 pm

two-three-five-aaaayt wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 11:36 am
Blackroc wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:25 pm
Hmmmm..

Is the rupes LHR21ES a better polisher for the BMWs? And what pads would you recommend for compounding/polishing?
The Rupes is a much better machine, however get the LHR15 not the 21 - the number dictates the amount of throw (distance the machine head moves in one spin) and the 21 is too much to use around handles / fragile areas.

However, if it HAS to be the 21, look at the identical machine by Vertool: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing ... _1391.html

Return to “Cleaning & detailing your car”