Baby BMW Forum banner

North West Dyno Day - 7th Feb 2015

12K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  Toot1903 
#1 ·
Hey All,

Got round to chucking a quick video together and start an "aftermath" thread.

Was a great day out, nice to meet some of the lads (and lasses) off the forums and put our babies to the test. Some of us, myself included, were a little disappointed but I'm sure Luke's feelings balance that out ;) It was great to see a few cars surprise us and the owners.

in Blackpool was the venue for the dyno day. In my opinion they had a fantastic setup, rather than having a large unit/workshop they have concentrated on looking after customers cars with some great air flow/extraction. The guys looked after us all day, keeping us fed & watered with welcome hot cups of tea/coffee and a BBQ. They also mentioned they are wanting to venture more into the BMW scene so I guess we should watch this space...

Many thanks to Casey for organising it all and the guys that came along to make up the numbers. Great set of chaps. Looking forward to the Northern romp now :D

Video:

Note: Best viewed in full-screen/HD. If you use Chrome you can watch it in 50FPS.

Group Results:

My printout for fly:

Note: Running with a JB4 in map 5, BMS intake, turbo back BCS system. Think a custom map 6 is needed...

See less See more
1 2
#3 ·
Was a great meet yesterday and as Matt said its good to put a face to a name.

Thanks for taking the time to put the videos up Matt, nice compilation and overall chat for comparison .

I have to say that MSD looked after us all day and the setup was different to what I've been to on the past but worked perfectly.

I'm not sure what to think of the results as both myself and toot have standard cars and made near identical power. My friend with the 1M has also seen standard 1M's run as high as 380 so I'm inclined to think that the rollers are under reading slightly which is even better news for those who made decent power. I only think This as if I had made 300 and toot made 320 then there would be an obvious difference between cars but I just find it strange that we both made nearly the exact same difference in lesser power.

My car ran fine on the dyno and highlighted no issues and I'm more than happy with its general performance so I see no point in worrying over the figures too much. The main thing is I now have a base line and should I wish to mod it I would take it back to MSD to see any gains on the same rollers.

#4 ·
Was a good day, good to meet you all, even managed to run mine at the end :lol2:

The accurate figure you will have will be the wheel figure, the fly figure is always with any chassis dyno only an estimate as we didn't take the engine out of the car so the dyno has to guess the loss through the drivetrain, running lots of std cars before and after remaps as we do, they are always pretty close, the little ST180 Fiesta shows they are close.
With the adaptive ECUs sometimes even a simple adaption reset can pick up some power.

#6 ·
Casey said:

Thanks for taking the time to put the videos up Matt, nice compilation and overall chat for comparison .

I have to say that MSD looked after us all day and the setup was different to what I've been to on the past but worked perfectly.

I'm not sure what to think of the results as both myself and toot have standard cars and made near identical power. My friend with the 1M has also seen standard 1M's run as high as 380 so I'm inclined to think that the rollers are under reading slightly which is even better news for those who made decent power. I only think This as if I had made 300 and toot made 320 then there would be an obvious difference between cars but I just find it strange that we both made nearly the exact same difference in lesser power.
Either the rollars are running low or bmw lied abt what power they are producing. One other thing when msd shut doors to take my video power did increase by abt 8 bhp.

#8 ·
luke2702 said:
Casey said:

Either the rollars are running low or bmw lied abt what power they are producing. One other thing when msd shut doors to take my video power did increase by abt 8 bhp.
Thats due to how the cell has been designed to work, and flow air through the cell, We usually run it closed full time, but during a Dyno day it wouldn't be much fun for spectators
And really it all comes down to what you use the Dyno for, to me its to monitor and measure change, Dyno Dynamics rollers are known as heart breakers for a reason :)

I think other Brands of Dyno over read massively, but if they make good numbers on ours at least you know if you go any where else you won't be dissapointed :lol2:

#9 ·
James@MSD said:
luke2702 said:
Casey said:

Thats due to how the cell has been designed to work, and flow air through the cell,
And really it all comes down to what you use the Dyno for, to me its to monitor and measure change, Dyno Dynamics rollers are known as heart breakers for a reason :)
Didn't break my heart James. :spotman: I wasn't even expecting to hit 300 at fly..

#11 ·
James@MSD said:
luke2702 said:
Didn't break my heart James. :spotman: I wasn't even expecting to hit 300 at fly..
lol, i had no idea what mine would make, so didn't have anything to expect :lol2:
Back to std for mine next week to get some base lines from, then we can iron out the stage 1 remap for a 100% std car. Then i can start to play :spotman:
for a start get them secondary cats removed... Obviously makes a bloody big differenc...

#14 ·
James@MSD said:
yeah amazing really how restrictive they must be, i will measure exhaust pressure when i get going on mine and see exactly what we have, in theory mine would be in the high 300s if i gutted the mid cats out already
Which would be bloody good for a stage 1 map. Mine could possibly have a remap but it hasnt been done by me so dont know how i would find out.

#15 ·
luke2702 said:
James@MSD said:
yeah amazing really how restrictive they must be, i will measure exhaust pressure when i get going on mine and see exactly what we have, in theory mine would be in the high 300s if i gutted the mid cats out already
Which would be bloody good for a stage 1 map. Mine could possibly have a remap but it hasnt been done by me so dont know how i would find out.
The N54s we can do easily via OBD so pop it in, we can read it and take a look at the map against a std one, easy to see if its been changed.
We can do some pretty funky stuff in these ECUs, so I'm looking forward to developing the new packages

#24 ·
I did notice than some cars performed better with the garage door down but Harrison's best run still only made 305 bhp with the garage door down so still 15 ponies missing?

#25 ·
Casey said:
I did notice than some cars performed better with the garage door down but Harrison's best run still only made 305 bhp with the garage door down so still 15 ponies missing?
We're both cars the same transmission? Running super unleaded? Traction control off? How many miles on each car? Could be any number of factors... Wish I could have made it as mines standard as well. Would've been interesting to see if we all fell a bit short.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.