Baby BMW Forum banner

Wouldn't quote me

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Feeps 
#1 ·
Hi,

Called up on Saturday to get an insurance quote for my BMW that I have owned since January, and the woman told me there is no point in getting me a quote because it will be really high as I haven't owned the car for more than a year, which I found absurd.

Any reasoning behind this?

I've been driving for 4 years, am 24 years old with 4 years NCB.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Hi, sorry we couldn't help you. To protect the scheme the insurers require a minimum of 12 months ownership/experience if a car is either a performance model or RWD. If you'd had experience of RWD on a previous car it would have been OK. That has always been the case I'm afraid.

We'll be perfect for you next year though.

best,
Nick

#3 ·
ChrisKnottIns said:
Hi, sorry we couldn't help you. To protect the scheme the insurers require a minimum of 12 months ownership/experience if a car is either a performance model or RWD. If you'd had experience of RWD on a previous car it would have been OK. That has always been the case I'm afraid.

We'll be perfect for you next year though.

best,
Nick
Fair enough, I think that's quite odd but kind of understand the reasoning.
Will try again next year then if I have the same car.

#7 ·
You guys wouldn't quote me for my C63 even though I had a 130i before? Surely that meets the RWD criteria? I'll give you another go this year on the C63 though.

#8 ·
Tommo said:
You guys wouldn't quote me for my C63 even though I had a 130i before? Surely that meets the RWD criteria? I'll give you another go this year on the C63 though.
I suspect it was more about the difference in the power/size between the 2 but this year, with 12 months' experience, we should be great for you.

#9 ·
Would quote me last year on my 125i even though I had RWD experience on my last car.. been driving for 9 years and have 8 year NCB too.. was very disappointed tbh.

#10 ·
What if all the other companies used the same policy and didn't insure drivers that didn't fit into a strict criteria?

If other companies start cherry picking business it'll kill anyone from getting a start in powerful cars.

Personally I see it as in bad taste refusing drivers insurance, then telling them to go elsewhere, and then come back when they are proven themselves under the risk of another insurance company. That's not good customer service.

This kind of practice would make me feel some loyalty to the company that would serve me in the first place.

#11 ·
I had the same problem... Not sure on the insurer but they wouldn't quote me on my 135i because I hadn't owned it for a year. I explained I used to have an M3. Wasn't good enough because I sold it too many years ago.

Must have forgotten how to drive a RWD I guess!! :lol2:

#12 ·
Kerr said:
What if all the other companies used the same policy and didn't insure drivers that didn't fit into a strict criteria?

If other companies start cherry picking business it'll kill anyone from getting a start in powerful cars.

Personally I see it as in bad taste refusing drivers insurance, then telling them to go elsewhere, and then come back when they are proven themselves under the risk of another insurance company. That's not good customer service.

This kind of practice would make me feel some loyalty to the company that would serve me in the first place.
You'll find that all insurance companies are cherry picking based on their own risk appetite. Not all companies will insure young drivers. Some don't want drivers with convictions, some do. Some won't quote certain models due to their claims experience. It might not be an outright 'decline' but they'll intentionally price themselves out. Insurance is about assessing risk and ensuring you don't take on too many cases that are going to cost you money. Having access criteria is a good method of doing this.

#13 ·
CK wouldn't quote me at all for my age (21), despite posting on here saying they can now quote young drivers (although maybe 21 is a bit too young for them). Shame because I'd much rather give them my money than Admiral. I've had the car for a year now so the 12 months RWD experience should be covered?

If you were able to quote me, I'd be keen to find out what you could do because my renewal is a few weeks away yet.

Didn't even go into driving history or previous vehicles, I just said M135i and 21 and was told to stuff it :bawl:

#14 ·
It was a while ago but we posted the common insurers' criteria in this section. It's entitled 'PLEASE READ' and sits at the top, under the Sticky posts.

babybmwadmin said:
...Smallprint
The scheme covers most modifications (excluding nitrous, roll cages and bhp increases over 50bhp). All makes and models are considered eligible. Drivers must be aged over 22 and wanting Comprehensive cover. Drivers of performance vehicles must be aged 25 or over. All drivers must have held a licence for at least 1 year, have minimum 12 months' experience of driving/insuring similar performance cars and have at least 1 year's NCB. Quotes subject to individual circumstances including restrictions on claims/convictions (no more than 1 SP/PC/PL conviction per driver) and not competitive for any M, L, OL & SK1-12 postcodes and Northern Ireland. Some postcodes require the car to be parked off the road overnight. We don't guarantee to be the best for 100% of the membership.
However, there have been some changes since 2011 in that we CAN now quote for many of the postcodes listed with overnight parking requirements INCLUDING Northern Ireland. We can now cover cars upto 100bhp over stock.

On any 1 or 2 series under 2.5ltr (non-performance models) drivers now need to be over 23 but we only need 6 months ownership/experience. On 'M' models it's 25 with 12 months.

Sorry for any confusion.

best,
Nick

#15 ·
Ah, so you won't cover me on the C63 then as it is a performance model and I am only 23. Never mind will just do the comparison rigmarole again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Just had to cancel my policy for renewal, as the price had gone up £55 to £605, which wasn't too bad. Expected to ring up and match lower quotes + bonus of having 2 cars with CK, but wouldn't budge on the price so had to cancel renewal and went elsewhere with the same benefits (PNCD / Car / Legal / Windscreen / Additional driver) but increased mileage for £437.

Shame really!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.