Going down in wheel size on m140i

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

McTrucky
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Going down in wheel size on m140i

Post by McTrucky » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:35 am

Hi all,

Not fashionable I know, but thinking about getting a set of 17 inch rims with higher profile tyes to cut down on road noise. Might even consider 16 inch.

My question is with the 140i is there any issue with clearance on the msport brake if I go to a 16 or 17 inch set of 8 inch rims? And if I go thinner than 8inch (for winter tyres), is there any thing to be worried about?

Probably pick up a second hand set of 1 series rims off flea bay or similar.

Obviously will keep the same outside diameter of tyres to avoid gearing, speedo and rubbing issues.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Going down in wheel size on m140i

Post by marco_polo » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:44 am

A select few 17" will just squeak on, 16" definitely won't fit.

For (skinny) winter alloys that clear, check out BMW style 379, 380 and 381.

For wide 17" summers, I believed AEZ Sydney might fit over the brakes??
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

SteadyRed

Post by SteadyRed » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Sorry to barge in on your thread, but my question seems relevant to this thread rather than starting a new one.

Do BMW recommend a size of wheel & tyre for winter tyres on the M140i?

We are looking at ordering before the end of August so delivery will be around Christmas, winter tyres will be a must, especially as the Mrs drives down country lanes to work.

M-140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by M-140i » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:05 pm

McTrucky wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:35 am
Hi all,

Not fashionable I know, but thinking about getting a set of 17 inch rims with higher profile tyes to cut down on road noise. Might even consider 16 inch.

My question is with the 140i is there any issue with clearance on the msport brake if I go to a 16 or 17 inch set of 8 inch rims? And if I go thinner than 8inch (for winter tyres), is there any thing to be worried about?

Probably pick up a second hand set of 1 series rims off flea bay or similar.

Obviously will keep the same outside diameter of tyres to avoid gearing, speedo and rubbing issues.
I'm on 255x35x18 rear tyres, and the slight gain in thickness is welcome. But you would have to change rims, because the original ones (8J) would be too thin.
_________________________ Image140ix__________________________

msej449
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by msej449 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:08 pm

BMW have a wheel and tyre configurator on their website. It's usually a good place to start, even if you are considering 3rd-party solutions, as it provides details of the BMW certified and tested combinations of wheels and tyre sizes. Also, it shows the tyre brands that they use for OEM wheels, which is also useful background. You enable the VIN slider (above the product photos) and it lists the BMW OEM solutions that will fit your specific car.

http://shop.bmw.co.uk/bmw-uk/en_GB/genu ... r_TID_1M12

Bear in mind that the M Performance brakes on your model limit the range of wheels that can be fitted.

I got 17" for my M235i last year (Wolfrace Drive 7.5Jx17 square with 225/45-17 Pirelli Winter Sottozero S3) and actually, it made it more stable in standing water and heavy rain compared to the summers. And obviously they were great in the snow.

I was going to go for BMW winters as they also store the unused wheels as well, but oddly, they didn't have the style I wanted in stock. So I went for 3rd.-Party. They were aware of the brake calliper aspect of the M-Lites and fitted the wheels before putting tyres on them, just to be sure. 3rd.-Party wheel suppliers won't take them back once a tyre has been fitted, and mistakes happen, so it's always best to be certain.
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster & High Gloss Black

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”