Which Run Flat Tyres

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

mash_taylor
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Which Run Flat Tyres

Post by mash_taylor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:59 pm

I'm in need of some new tyres and I want to stick with run flats. I currently have Bridgestone Potenzas that have been on since new and lasted about 28,000 miles. Willing to try something else! On my E82 the best tyres I had were Hankook Ventus V12's but it doesn't look like they make them anymore...

Sorry if this has been asked loads, but most of the info seems to be on non run flats!
220d Sport Coupe - Jet Black
Sports Automatic Transmission | Professional Navigation | Xenon Headlights | Cruise Control

mash_taylor
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Which Run Flat Tyres

Post by mash_taylor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:23 pm

Has anyone used Bridgestone DriveGaurd? The tyre label makes it look better than Potenzas i.e. fuel C, wet A and 70dB vs. fuel F, wet B and 71dB?
Sports Automatic Transmission | Professional Navigation | Xenon Headlights | Cruise Control

captainoats

Post by captainoats » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:12 pm

I have Bridgestone Potenzas RE050A and never had an issue with them. I'm having 3 of them replaced with the same tyres tomorrow as they are now due to be changed. Had a read online and looked at the Bridgestone DriveGuards (which were slightly cheaper than the Potenzas) but depending on the website you review them on I was happy with the reviews when they respond in the wet. As I haven't had any issues with my Potenzas I've decided to stick with them as they came with the car so I have to assume BMW know what they are doing if these are the preferred tyres. I appreciate newer model tyres and technology comes out after a while but I suppose if you haven't had any issues before then is it worth a risk trying a new tyre? Unless of course you've had some hair raising events with the current tyres not responding well? Also depends on your driving and if on motorways a fair bit, as I only do 6 miles a day I'm not too fussed about the F rating on fuel but if you are up and down the M1 then a better rating would be better.

mash_taylor
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mash_taylor » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:21 pm

captainoats wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:12 pm
I have Bridgestone Potenzas RE050A and never had an issue with them. I'm having 3 of them replaced with the same tyres tomorrow as they are now due to be changed. Had a read online and looked at the Bridgestone DriveGuards (which were slightly cheaper than the Potenzas) but depending on the website you review them on I was happy with the reviews when they respond in the wet. As I haven't had any issues with my Potenzas I've decided to stick with them as they came with the car so I have to assume BMW know what they are doing if these are the preferred tyres. I appreciate newer model tyres and technology comes out after a while but I suppose if you haven't had any issues before then is it worth a risk trying a new tyre? Unless of course you've had some hair raising events with the current tyres not responding well? Also depends on your driving and if on motorways a fair bit, as I only do 6 miles a day I'm not too fussed about the F rating on fuel but if you are up and down the M1 then a better rating would be better.
I do about 50 miles a day so the fuel rating could make a difference! I definitely noticed a drop in mpg when I moved from Hankooks to Bridgestones on my E82. Other than that I have had no real problems with the Bridgestones but people seem to have strong opinions on which non run flats to get...I'm surprised there isn't the same for run flats!

Ed875

Post by Ed875 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Have Bridgestone S001 RF 225/45 R17 as factory fit on our LCI 116d and they have been very disappointing, with very poor grip in the wet, prone to tram-lining and with 11k on the clock the rears are close to needing replacing. Although I cannot account for how the car was driven in the first 3.5k miles, the rest has been pretty steady on mainly rural A and B roads, so this level of wear to me seems very high.

Have just put on winters due to the lack of grip with the S001's but will be needing fresh summer rubber in the new year, so suggestions would be welcome.

Ed875

nigelkr1

Post by nigelkr1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:52 pm

I am eyeing up Pirelli Cinturato P7 Seal Inside. They're not runflat but they have an inner lining that seals round any intruding object like a nail. Then if you remove the nail it seals the hole.

Sounds like a great alternative to runflat sidewalls but I haven't tried them or seen much comment about them.

NARD
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by NARD » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:26 am

Funnily enough I changed all four tyres on my car friday. Tried to get hold of the Driveguards but they didn't come in my sizes:
215/40/18 & 245/35/18.
I asked the tyre fitter about them and he said he only knows 1 customer who has them and absolutley loves them. Potenzas were the only ones I could get all four of simultaneously!? Just read the sidewall manufacture date as Sept '17 so made less than a month ago. Maybe demand is high for these tyres?

I don't drive enthusiastically very often and only do about 3000 miles a year; always stuck with runflats as they've never bothered me and as the man says: BMW set the car up for them so... :)

msej449
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by msej449 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:09 am

nigelkr1 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:52 pm
I am eyeing up Pirelli Cinturato P7 Seal Inside.
It looks as if the Cinturato seal-inside® was only on the all-season version at the launch. And looking at the press launch comments, it was initially aimed at standard urban cars not performance ones. But they do sound interesting.

I can only find references to the P7 seal-inside® on foreign-language pages - are they available here in the UK yet?

The whole P7 brand naming is confusing, with about seven different variants available. But I'm a fan of the P7 although you have to have the right sort of vehicle to get the most out of them: relatively heavy, performance - so the 2 Series isn't necessarily the optimal car for them.
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster & High Gloss Black

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”