How do I remove a rear wheel?

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Gebbly
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

How do I remove a rear wheel?

Post by Gebbly » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi All,
I'm trying to change out a rear wheel on my m135 due to a puncture. I have replaced wheels on other cars before but am having issues with this one. I have been searching the forums howtos, tyres/wheels and search section to no avail.

Once I have the car parked with handbrake on as normal, chucks around one of the wheels, a jack raising the car and all nuts including the lock nut are removed the wheel refuses to budge. I have seen some people talk on youtube about taking the handbrake off, some discuss putting the car in first gear before starting, I have even seen discussion somewhere about having to remove elements of the breaks. Is any of that necessary? Is there anything else I need to do to get the wheel off?

The only possibility I came across was a discussion on these forums about wheels sometimes freezing to the hubs and having to kick them or hit them with a hammer to free them. Is this all thats happened?

Any help appreciated
thanks

GaSs_ZA

Re: How do I remove a rear wheel?

Post by GaSs_ZA » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:17 pm

This happened on one of my delivery trucks , just give it a hard jerk sideways , sit on your bum and kick the one side towards the hub it should budge .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nivens
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by nivens » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:26 pm

Sounds like it's just stuck, if a good wiggle doesn't free it off then giving the tyre a good whack at various points around the circumference to free it off.
2006 E87 130i

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Twenny » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Give it a good kick from behind the wheel not the front.

Or put nuts back in but loose and drop jack and it should crack the seal.

2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

GaSs_ZA

Post by GaSs_ZA » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:03 pm

On the side so it pushes off Nivens . When you kick it on the left it pops off the hub on the right ... how do you kick from underneath the car ?

Nottsknots
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Nottsknots » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:10 pm

Twenny wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:31 pm
Or put nuts back in but loose and drop jack and it should crack the seal.
This shifts even the stuck-est wheel.

No need to remove parts of the brakes, and the above is far safer than running the axle :shock:
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:30 pm

GaSs_ZA wrote:how do you kick from underneath the car ?

Lose 2 stone. And carefully.

P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB

Ezzra
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ezzra » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:49 pm

Don't forget to put some copper grease on the spigot when you replace the wheel and use the correct torque, which is 140nm.
:)
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Gebbly
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Gebbly » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:47 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I wanted to check as some of the procedures on the m135 are a bit more convoluted than simpler cars (like trying to move the windscreen wipers). Sounds like wheel changing is the same as any other car. I'll try the nudging with my foot and failing that the lowering with loosened nuts.
Thanks for the mention of the correct torque Ezzra, looks like I'm taking a walk to local screwfix (nearest tool store to home) again to get a torque wrench. Had to go and buy jack/wheel brace/pump(the valve connector on my previous pump shattered when I applied the lock lever) having realised these arent included in the tools in the boot compartment like with my previous car.

Gebbly
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Gebbly » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Update : Thanks to everyones advice I have success. I went through the whole process again, tried loosening the nuts and lowering the jack but it didnt free the siezed wheel. However a few good blows from a rubber mallet from behind popped the wheel right off. Used the copper grease and a torque wrench as advised and the motor is road worthy once more.

Thanks all.

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:16 pm

Erm when you say copper grease.....on what? Please tell me it was just on this part of the hub (pic below) and not on the bolts or just as bad on the face of the hub?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Agreed, a tiny smear on the spigot only.

Mustn't grease the mounting face or the bolt threads at all, very dangerous.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Gebbly
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Gebbly » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi Twenny,
I didnt put any grease on the bolts but I did put a very light smear (I put a squirt on my finger and then wiped around the area) on the bit you indicate and on the surface area between the holes on the face. Darn, I guess I have to go and take the wheel back off again? I thought the face was where it was seizing.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:24 pm

:( Wheel off, clean both wheel and mounting face with some meths/white spirit/whatever.

Some people think the wheel drives off the 5 bolts, but this isn't the case. The bolts are just there to generate the 'sandwich' axial clamp load, it's actually a friction drive between the two faces, which is why you mustn't reduce the friction with lubricants. Grease will serious stress the bolts with shear loads every time you hit the brakes.

Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Ezzra
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ezzra » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:36 pm

It's the spiggot that often corrodes onto the alloy wheel, causing the problems. I wouldn't put it in the bolts as the 140nm is a "dry" figure to torque the bolts. If you've only put a smear on the 'face' of the hub, personally I wouldn't worry. The face acts as a clutch to transmit drive to the wheels, the bolts merely apply the torque for the face to the back of the wheel. The shearing threshold of the bolts is engineered with a big margin for safety, do as long as it's just a smear of copper grease I wouldn't worry. :)
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”