How do I remove a rear wheel?

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: How do I remove a rear wheel?

Post by marco_polo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Ezzra wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:36 pm
It's the spiggot that often corrodes onto the alloy wheel, causing the problems. I wouldn't put it in the bolts as the 140nm is a "dry" figure to torque the bolts. The face acts as a clutch to transmit drive to the wheels, the bolts merely apply the torque for the face to the back of the wheel.
Agree entirely.

Ezzra wrote:
The shearing threshold of the bolts is engineered with a big margin for safety, do as long as it's just a smear of copper grease I wouldn't worry. :)
Why would a smear be acceptable? I'd be shitting my undercrackers, definitely not best practice - which is all we recommend on here.

Once the 'clutch face' is lubricated, the friction is gone and you're back to loading the bolts, which isn't their job. What do you calculate the FoS to be?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Ezzra
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ezzra » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:55 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:45 pm
Ezzra wrote:
It's the spiggot that often corrodes onto the alloy wheel, causing the problems. I wouldn't put it in the bolts as the 140nm is a "dry" figure to torque the bolts. The face acts as a clutch to transmit drive to the wheels, the bolts merely apply the torque for the face to the back of the wheel.
Agree entirely.

Ezzra wrote:
The shearing threshold of the bolts is engineered with a big margin for safety, do as long as it's just a smear of copper grease I wouldn't worry. :)
Why would a smear be acceptable? I'd be shitting my undercrackers, definitely not best practice - which is all we recommend on here.

Once the 'clutch face' is lubricated, the friction is gone and you're back to loading the bolts, which isn't their job. What do you calculate the FoS to be?
I'm on my ninth new BMW, always done the same, never had a wheel stick, never had a bolt shear. On more than one occasion had mechanics recommend as a way of stopping the wheels corrode to the hub. I would only use the lightest application on my hubs, and not right across the face.

The FoS would have the allow for wheel nuts under torqued, such would apply a greater shearing pressure than we are discussing here :)
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Gebbly
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Gebbly » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks very much for the safety catch guys. I hadnt realised the contact was made by friction and as marco_polo says I was under the misaprehension that it was all down to the bolts.

I have just been out, taken the wheel off and using a clean rag removed all grease from anywhere and then with my finger applied the tiniest amount just to the spigot as indicated in twenny's picture.

On the upside I'm getting much faster at changing a wheel. Now if only the m135 could fit a spare I wouldnt need to call out the RAC for a 200+ mile recovery when I get a puncture :)

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Ha happy days Gebbly.

3 years ago my mate put copper grease between my hub and new 12mm spacers.

Let's just say the guy that fitted my new alloys who had to remove these spacers was not best pleased to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”