Understeer solutions? F21 135i

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

nigelkr1

Re: Understeer solutions? F21 135i

Post by nigelkr1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:06 pm

Blind Pugh wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:59 pm
nigelkr1 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Sorry to quibble but it was you who posted "Ditch RFTs and fit either GY ASY3 or MPSS 225/245 F&R". It was poor advice and I regret following it.
Poor advice - you cheeky tw@t - I made a suggestion with 2 tyre choices on a forum thread.

You chose one of the suggested tyre types and your high expectations have not met.

Needless to say I won’t be posting again on this thread.
Since you claim knowledge you don't have, you won't be missed.

nigelkr1

Post by nigelkr1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:36 pm

I've fitted the 235/40/18's all round, on the standard wheels, and it's now the car I thought I was buying - a bit of manageable understeer in slow corners and beautiful rear-limited under power on faster ones. The car is much more agile and driveable, and I don't have the limitation of wondering if the front end is going to wash wide all the time. It's still stable at speed and not too pointy.

I've only done about 120 miles so far so there's more grip to come, but at this stage it has lost a bit of rear grip under power. 245/35/18's all round would be faster, but I didn't want to hassle with the wheels and these fit fine on both 7.5 and 8. As it is it's a lot faster point to point than on 225/245's.

Incidentally the tracking that was done when I had the Superpro bushes fitted was a complete mess, thanks to them using an apprentice! I've had it re-done and now the steering wheel is straight, though mysteriously it has only 0.5 of front camber even with the Superpros.

Both times the tyres were changed the wheels were damaged, making me glad I took before photos. One tyre place when I turned up refused to fit the different size of tyre even though the difference was only 10mm.

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:18 pm

nigelkr1 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:36 pm
I've fitted the 235/40/18's all round, on the standard wheels, and it's now the car I thought I was buying - a bit of manageable understeer in slow corners and beautiful rear-limited under power on faster ones. The car is much more agile and driveable, and I don't have the limitation of wondering if the front end is going to wash wide all the time. It's still stable at speed and not too pointy.

I've only done about 120 miles so far so there's more grip to come, but at this stage it has lost a bit of rear grip under power. 245/35/18's all round would be faster, but I didn't want to hassle with the wheels and these fit fine on both 7.5 and 8. As it is it's a lot faster point to point than on 225/245's.

Incidentally the tracking that was done when I had the Superpro bushes fitted was a complete mess, thanks to them using an apprentice! I've had it re-done and now the steering wheel is straight, though mysteriously it has only 0.5 of front camber even with the Superpros.

Both times the tyres were changed the wheels were damaged, making me glad I took before photos. One tyre place when I turned up refused to fit the different size of tyre even though the difference was only 10mm.
Good to know the 235/40/18’s work on the fronts. I’ll try this size next as am about to get M4 LCA’S fitted. The slightly large diameter should raise it slightly and negate the effects of the LCA :)
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

nigelkr1

Post by nigelkr1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:28 pm

git-r2 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:18 pm

Good to know the 235/40/18’s work on the fronts. I’ll try this size next as am about to get M4 LCA’S fitted. The slightly large diameter should raise it slightly and negate the effects of the LCA :)
Ah,well even the offset bushes sharpened things up a bit so you're in for a treat I think :)

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:26 pm

Fingers crossed but I’m not expecting anymore grip.
It is a standard car with adaptive suspension and already sustains 1.1g through corners which is very respectable. From experience you usually only get this from cars with track rubber. The MPSS are probably responsible for this.

I’m hoping to get better tyre wear, any extra gripmwill be a bonus :)
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

nigelkr1

Post by nigelkr1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:39 pm

git-r2 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:26 pm
Fingers crossed but I’m not expecting anymore grip.
It is a standard car with adaptive suspension and already sustains 1.1g through corners which is very respectable. From experience you usually only get this from cars with track rubber. The MPSS are probably responsible for this.

I’m hoping to get better tyre wear, any extra gripmwill be a bonus :)
Oh I ought to measure my g, now you mention it...

HammyUK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HammyUK » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:40 am

nigelkr1 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:06 pm
Blind Pugh wrote:
nigelkr1 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Sorry to quibble but it was you who posted "Ditch RFTs and fit either GY ASY3 or MPSS 225/245 F&R". It was poor advice and I regret following it.
Poor advice - you cheeky tw@t - I made a suggestion with 2 tyre choices on a forum thread.

You chose one of the suggested tyre types and your high expectations have not met.

What a Cockwomble....

You might want to rethink your comments.
One of the most sorted and best handiling M135i’s was until very recently owned by the member you claim has zero knowledge, yet with only 22 posts you think you know better......
F21 135i pre-lci, AW, 3dr, CR, HK and an ever increasing toy list :D

nigelkr1

Post by nigelkr1 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:58 am

HammyUK wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:40 am
nigelkr1 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:06 pm
Blind Pugh wrote:

What a Cockwomble....

You might want to rethink your comments.
One of the most sorted and best handiling M135i’s was until very recently owned by the member you claim has zero knowledge, yet with only 22 posts you think you know better......
I posted about understeer, he said fit 225/245 GYF1's, I did, didn't help at all, he posted "sorry to say you fitted the wrong tyres"! Plus a load of nonsense about sidewalls. Follows that with abuse, I suppose it's no surprise his supporter is the same ilk, and even thinks knowledge is about the number of posts on here.

Meanwhile I have solved the problem, by undoing his advice, you don't seem to have noticed.

HammyUK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HammyUK » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:54 am

You mean you've over-tyred the front wheels and under-tyred the rears.

So go - impress us all with your far reaching knowledge oh wise one....

Go on...

Although you do realise theres a reason WHY the tyre place said no to fitting 235's to the OE wheels don't you?
But of course you obviously know far better than the professionals about wheel widths, max tyre sizes, rim protection, etc...
F21 135i pre-lci, AW, 3dr, CR, HK and an ever increasing toy list :D

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:42 pm

I would just fit a stiffer rear Arb that will defo help get rid of nasty understeer :)
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's.

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”