spigot ring help

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Tricky401
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

spigot ring help

Post by Tricky401 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:32 pm

sent my wheels off for refurb today and the spigot rings are not in the best condition so looking to buy some more

problem is the size and wherevdo you actually buy them? i cannot find the correct size even though there are loads of options on ebay

size of hub is 72.5mm is that correct?
rear of wheel is 78mm

i contacted oz wheels uk about 3weeks ago and then again last week and no reply

wheels are oz ultraleggera if that makes any difference
M135 5door, mineral Grey,black Dakota , auto, comfort pack + front Pdc, pro nav, adaptive sus, adaptive LEDs, reverse cam, sunroof, shadeband, sun protection, folding mirrors, load through, heated seats. First ever auto and BMW

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: spigot ring help

Post by marco_polo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:46 pm

Our BMW's need 72.5 - 72.6mm.

Definitely 78.0 mm ID? That's a slightly unusual size. Thought they were usually 76.0mm, but could be very wrong.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Tricky401
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tricky401 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:34 pm

i did think 78 seemed high and that might be the reason i'm struggling to find any. i guess it could be 76mm if my measure is out

i can't re measure now until i get my wheels back.

i have found a company which will custom make in the right sizes but it's 7days turn around

edit -just done abit more research and some places stat that oz wheels are 76mm so will ring around a few tomorrow

thanks Mp
M135 5door, mineral Grey,black Dakota , auto, comfort pack + front Pdc, pro nav, adaptive sus, adaptive LEDs, reverse cam, sunroof, shadeband, sun protection, folding mirrors, load through, heated seats. First ever auto and BMW

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:32 am

Whilst searching for my new wheels, I came across a site which sold spigot rings if that's any help - https://www.performancealloys.com/spigo ... isID=56734

I assume the benefit of these rings is to help align the bolts when putting the wheels on and before tightening.
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:37 am

It's to centralise the wheel on the hub so that they run concentrically. Any more than a couple of thou' out and you can get some wicked 'clown-car' vibrations.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks MP. I had them on my winter Rials but thought the tapered bolts would centralise the wheel once tightened.
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:50 am

No, not reliably. Very easy to clamp it down 10 thousands of an inch out, the threads aren't that clever.

Tricky401
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tricky401 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:31 pm

76mm rings arrived, too small. Back to the search now.

Appears 78mm are not very common.

Will possibly fit the old rings back in tempory until I can get some new ones

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:52 pm

If they are 78mm, sounds like either OZ direct, or custom made.

Can you easily measure the old rings with a vernier? Are they floppy plastic? The trick to measuring floppy plastic (and rubber O) rings is to gently 'drop' them on a cone first.

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:44 am

This is what happens to a spigot ring when your wheels are swapped, for ones which fit without rings, by monkeys - all squashed. :roll:

20170903_112449 crop.jpg
20170903_112449 crop.jpg (210.29 KiB) Viewed 481 times

ArronLaw

Post by ArronLaw » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Just wondering if you ever managed to find the right size spigot rings...? I have a set of OZ Ultraleggera HLT's (18" 8J ET40) for my m235i but a couple of the spigot rings are missing/damaged so I'm looking for a new set from somewhere?

Thanks

Tricky401
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tricky401 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Ye I did find some. I actually bought three sets until I could get the right size, I will try find you a link

ArronLaw

Post by ArronLaw » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Ah great, that would be much appreciated thanks!

ArronLaw

Post by ArronLaw » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:23 pm

I've done a fair bit of browsing online yesterday and today and found a few possible sellers so even if you could just remember the size you eventually got that fit correctly it would be a great help.

Cheers

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”