Wolfrace, Calibre, ElCheapo or BMW Wheels?

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

McTrucky
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Wolfrace, Calibre, ElCheapo or BMW Wheels?

Post by McTrucky » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi All,

Been playing for hours looking at wheel options for the M140i for a set of winter wheels.

Prices on Genuine BMW wheels seem to range wildly with £1000+ for excellent condition 379s or similar being common. By the time you add tyres and a TPMS that is easily £1600.

There are cheaper (scrappier) BMW wheels from around £250 a set, but they all need refurb - so I guess they will end up costing around £1000 with a cheap refurb, tyres and TPMS.

Or there are brand spanking new cheap alloys - likes of WolfRace for around £500, or MSW, coming in under £400. eg:
https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-w ... 20/18-inch

So... I know you pay your money and takes your choice - but any reason to avoid non BMW wheels? Are they made of chocolate? Any experiences to share?
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Lots of bells and whistles; Could do with a wash;

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Wolfrace, Calibre, ElCheapo or BMW Wheels?

Post by Ezzra » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:23 pm

I would never buy cheap wheels. If you are going "aftermarket" stick with the quality brands such as BBS or Ronal :)
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

AndyBish135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AndyBish135i » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:36 pm

Depends on what sort of budget you've got in mind...?
Are you wanting to spend £500 on wheels then another £400-£500 on tyres or £1000 on wheels then the tyres on top???
Some of the OEM BMW alloys are made of chocolate so for the same money I would go aftermarket forged every time...!
‘10’ plate N54 135i in Black Sapphire Metallic
CIC / Cruise / Xenons / 6MT / Custom mids / BMWP Steering wheel and knob / Darklines / Zito935 / BBMW CF Splitter & Diffuser / SSDD CF spoiler

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:02 pm

Use the crappy standard wheels for winter duty, and treat the car to a set of decent quality summer wheels. Makes the justification of decent rims a little easier, if you're going to enjoy them for 9 months of the year.

My BBS CH-R's are flow formed, and are proving to be very tough.
Oz Formula HLT are another popular choice, and the Ultraleggera HLT of course. Both available in 8" ET40.
Enkei calls flow forming 'M.A.T', their PF01 in 18 x 8" ET42 fit beautifully.
Mak Luft-FF in 18X8 ET43, etc.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

msej449
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by msej449 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:53 pm

Here are new Wolfrace Drive Gloss 7.5J x 17 for my winter tyres - The four wheels were £480 supplied new and fitted, incl.VAT, plus new nuts and locking nuts. Not as cheap as your used ones but less than the BMWs and reasonable quality. The tyres are Pirelli Winter Sottozero S3 225/45-17 Runflats. I also fitted TPMS sensors so that the wheels are all ready to fit from storage.

I opted for new nuts as the summer ones didn't colour-match these wheels. The dealer test-fitted the wheels first, before fitting the tyres, as they were aware of the M Performance brake issue: suppliers sometimes get it wrong and then won't accept the wheels back once tyres have been fitted onto them. I also fitted new BMW TPMS sensors, so that the wheels are completely ready for fitting when we swap 'round.

They were fine all last winter, including two ski trips to the Alps, where they saw plenty of snow. No obvious corrosion or damage so far.

Supplied and fitted by Discount Tyres DIrect in Worthing, W.Sussex.

When I refit these this autumn, I'll get the fitters to swap the BMW roundels across as well (they're the same size). Not because of the badge but because I think they'll look nicer with the blue logo matching the estoril blue bodywork.

See the associated thread on storage solutions for how the wheels are stored when not in use: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=103164
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster & High Gloss Black

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”