Worth the swap to Asym 3's for winter ?

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

hampshire
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Worth the swap to Asym 3's for winter ?

Post by hampshire » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:42 am

With the great Costco deal on at the moment, see separate thread.

I am considering swapping my MPSS that have about 4mm rear and 4.4mm front remaining after 18 months and 16000 miles. I found the MPSS very poor on the cold, wet and bumpy Hampshire roads, I tend to leave home at 7am.

It’s a lease car that has 18 months left on the lease and I expect to rack up about 34000 miles of the 36000 contract.

Thoughts were to put some new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 3’s on for the winter and depending how I lik them either leave them on until it goes back or swap to the MPSS in May next year.

Anyone made this move and felt it was better for wet,cold conditions.
2016 - M235i coupe, Sports automatic gearbox, Mineral grey, Black Dakota leather, Brushed aluminium trim with black finisher, Professional media pack, Comfort pack, Harmon kardon, Electric seats with driver memory & Heated seats

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Worth the swap to Asym 3's for winter ?

Post by marco_polo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:53 am

They're still full summer tyres, slightly better in the cold/wet but not a huge difference.

Have you looked into Cross Climates or All Season boots?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

hampshire
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by hampshire » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:58 am

marco_polo wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:53 am
They're still full summer tyres, slightly better in the cold/wet but not a big difference.

Have you looked into Cross Climates or All Season boots?
I considered Michelin cross climate in 225 all round fitment but not sure I could handle the loss of dry rear grip. Don’t want to blow £ 500 on winters as we may end up with a very mild one
2016 - M235i coupe, Sports automatic gearbox, Mineral grey, Black Dakota leather, Brushed aluminium trim with black finisher, Professional media pack, Comfort pack, Harmon kardon, Electric seats with driver memory & Heated seats

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:00 am

Just found the other thread.

As they're really cheap, might as well. You're going to need new boots sooner or later, might as well strike while the iron is hot.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

hampshire
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by hampshire » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:08 am

marco_polo wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:00 am
Just found the other thread.

As they're really cheap, might as well. You're going to need new boots sooner or later, might as well strike while the iron is hot.
That was my thought 7.5mm of new rubber that is slightly better in the wet/cold will be better than 4mm MPSS.

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”