new wheels maybe??

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

danboy74

new wheels maybe??

Post by danboy74 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:45 am

Hi Guys n Gals

The wife has just purchased a 2008 black 123d sport, the current wheels and tyres are huge !!!!! the wheels are 19", the rear tyres are Yokohama 255/30/19 and the fronts are michelin 225/35/19, The wheels looks like bmw replica aftermarket ones, there is a bit of corrosion and kerbing, no drama with that as i was going to get them refurbished and powder coated black to match the car. but they do look a little large for the car!!
what is the correct size for this car ???
also I'm thinking that the cost of replacement tyres will be expensive compared the a set of 17" or 18". so should i sell these and get a slightly smaller set. they do make the car look "mean" just not sure if they make it look to chunky. "if you know what i mean.

im not even sure if the current tyres are run flats, which also worries me, (no space for a spare, no jack etc )!!

thoughts chaps !!??

josedebardi
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

new wheels maybe??

Post by josedebardi » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:48 am

18s were the largest factory size, but the M Performance dealer supplied options are 19s, so technically 19s are “correct” for the car.
I have the factory 18’s and think they look tiny. But I had 19’s on my RS3 before so got used to that I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Cab Auto - Minrl Gry, Coral Lthr
Packs: 'vert Cmfrt, Drvr Cmfrt, Innovation, Vis
Opts: Hrmn Krdn, Elec/Mem Sts w/ Lmbr supp, Splt-fld sts, Adptv MSprt sus', CarPlay, Cmfrt Acc, Prk Ass, Rev cmra
Mods: 2Res Del, MP Exht/Crbn Splr/Spltr/Crbn Intr/Dfsr

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: new wheels maybe??

Post by marco_polo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:32 am

They're the correct rolling radius for a 1 Series, so not too chunky.

19" tyres are more expensive than smaller sizes as you suspect, and I'd be minding the potholes as they're more prone to damage having such low profile tyres.

Runcraps are awful things, best avoided if you like good wet grip and a vaguely comfortable ride.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

danboy74

Post by danboy74 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. so you think run flats are a crap ride/grip ?? ill take all the advise as i have never had a car without a spare !!

so in the event of a puncture, whats the crack ?? big can of foam to get you home ??

all advise very welcome !!

cheers dan

nigelkr1

Post by nigelkr1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:19 pm

danboy74 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:49 pm
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. so you think run flats are a crap ride/grip ?? ill take all the advise as i have never had a car without a spare !!

so in the event of a puncture, whats the crack ?? big can of foam to get you home ??

all advise very welcome !!

cheers dan
I've just fitted Pirelli P7 Seal Inside, they have a lining inside that seals round a nail or whatever, then when you pull the nail out it seals the hole. So you have kinda runflat but without the hard sidewalls. Previously I had Bridgestone S001 runflats, when I switched to non-runflat GY F1's there wasn't a lot of difference.

danboy74

Post by danboy74 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:37 pm

great stuff, thanks for all the comments, as soon as the car is back from the garage (having the timing chain of death replaced) I'm getting the wheels refurbed as there is a little bit of kerning and corrosion,

with kids in the back, me and the wife in the front and some luggage are the wheels / tyres likely to rub !?? at present they are
rear 255/30/19 yokohama's (lots of tread)
front 225/35/19 pirelli p zero's ( will need changing soon)

again are these a little big ?? can't make my mind up !!????

regards
Last edited by danboy74 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:02 am

They won't rub if the previous owner has chosen the wheels correctly (with large enough offsets). Any idea what their measurements are?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:42 am

It might say the measurements on the back of each wheel somewhere. Usually stated as ET (ET42 or whatever). BMW sometimes like to use IS instead for some reason, so could be IS45, etc.

danboy74

Post by danboy74 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:50 pm

Hiya

Ok great stuff, should get the car back hopefully tomorrow so i will check and repot back !!

cheers

danboy74

Post by danboy74 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:44 pm

update, won't get the car back until next wednesday as they are soooooo busy !!!!! looks like ill be measuring the wheels next week then lol :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”