How do I remove tyre foam

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

groovechild

How do I remove tyre foam

Post by groovechild » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:27 am

Help please.
Last night I had to inject my tyre with the BMW tyre sealant foam to continue my journey.
I've rang a few local garage services and it appears they don't like to repair tyres filled with foam, so if I'm forced to purchase a new tyre so be it, but I was wondering how hard it is to clean the foam out of the tyre if I take it back and would it then be in a repairable condition as it's only 6 months old.
I intend to ring my local dealer tomorrow and ask, but for now does anyone know if BMW can repair the tyre, after all they're the ones that put the tyre kit in the boot of the car in the first place instead of a spare wheel.

Thanks
Bmw M235i 2015 Conv, Alpine white :drive: :escape:

josedebardi
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: How do I remove tyre foam

Post by josedebardi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:38 am

As you’ve run a few miles on the sidewall without air it won’t be safe (foamed or not). Definitely get a new tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Cab Auto - Minrl Gry, Coral Lthr
Packs: 'vert Cmfrt, Drvr Cmfrt, Innovation, Vis
Opts: Hrmn Krdn, Elec/Mem Sts w/ Lmbr supp, Splt-fld sts, Adptv MSprt sus', CarPlay, Cmfrt Acc, Prk Ass, Rev cmra
Mods: 2Res Del, MP Exht/Crbn Splr/Spltr/Crbn Intr/Dfsr

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:41 am

It's usually a Latex based solution, rather than foam. Should wash out with warm water, use a clothes peg for your nose!
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

groovechild

Post by groovechild » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks for your quick replies guys.
I didn't drive miles on the tyre to damage the tyrewall, however I do appreciate your comment as safety comes first.
The idrive gave me warning just as I drove the car out of my driveway and I stopped right away to check the tyres and found the suspect tyre deflated not totally flat.

Thanks again

timbo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by timbo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:02 pm

groovechild wrote:Thanks for your quick replies guys.
I didn't drive miles on the tyre to damage the tyrewall, however I do appreciate your comment as safety comes first.
The idrive gave me warning just as I drove the car out of my driveway and I stopped right away to check the tyres and found the suspect tyre deflated not totally flat.

Thanks again
I had a similar situation, idrive warned of low pressure whilst returning home from south of France, had 1000mls ahead of me with no chance of finding a garage.
Used the kit and got home no probs, went to few tyre places who said tyre would be ruined due to the ‘acid’ solvent.
Found a tyre place which just cleaned the liquid out and repaired as normal. No issues since.
I think they are either after a sale or just have no idea what this stuff is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5dr AW LCI Coral Leather Pro Nav Adaptive Auto

groovechild

Post by groovechild » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:59 pm

Update:
I rang several local garages and they all wanted to force me to purchase a new tyre at £165-£210. :shock: finally after some time a found a mobile tyre van man, he came to my house while I was washing the car and took the wheel off, jet washed the inside as it hadn't set totally, plugged the hole and after £30 and a cup of coffee went on his merry way, I couldn't be happier. :spotman: :spotman: :spotman: :wavey: :wavey: :banana:

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”