F20 - 245/35/18 RFT Replacements

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

andy7t

F20 - 245/35/18 RFT Replacements

Post by andy7t » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi,

I've got a 2014 120d M-Sport currently on Bridgestone S001's RFT all round. Comfort on RFT is acceptable but not great.
I think i'm going to stick with RFT since the lack of space for a proper spare puts me off and I do a lot of long distance motorway miles, so a can of tyre weld for me doesn't cut it. If you have personal experience with this particular car / S001 combination replacing RFT with non-RFT please do post, but I think the general RFT vs non-RFT piece has been done to death :-)
Sticking with RFTs:
I'm planning on putting Bridgestone DriveGuards on the front - they seem to be getting great reviews and seem to have none of the draw backs of RFT.

For the back though, because of the 35 profile they aren't available.

It seems my options are
Stick with the S001s RFT
Conti Sport Contact 5 SSR
Dunlop SP Sport
Michellin PS2 ZP
Good Year F1 Asym 2
Pirelli P Zero

Reading reviews online is really challenging because its often not clear whether people are referring to RFT or standard tyres.
I'm specifically looking for opinions on which of the above RFT to go for.
A big criteria for me is that ideally they are more comfortable than the S001s I have at the moment - and certainly no worse!
Any opinions?

Thanks

McTrucky
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: F20 - 245/35/18 RFT Replacements

Post by McTrucky » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Not many replies to this, so I'll jump in with my limited knowledge/experience of RFTs.

I had Bridgestone on my e93, and I wasnt a fan. Switched to Pirelli, pzero, and they were much better in the warm. In the cold they were awful. Dreadful.

If I was making the choice again, I'd go to the Goodyears.
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Lots of bells and whistles; Could do with a wash;

SSN17
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SSN17 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:12 pm

I can't wait to get rid of my Bridgestone's, they're awful in the wet. No grip whatsoever.
F21 125i Manual | Alpine White | Black Leather | Heated Seats | Adaptive Xenon Headlights | Folding Mirrors | Driver Comfort Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | M-Sport Braking System | Front + Rear PDC | Visibility Package | Sun Protection Package

Airblade550
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Airblade550 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:10 pm

I'm in the same position as the OP. LCi2 118d MSport with S001's orig fitment. I've covered just 2k from new and the S001's have got to go!
Noisy, uncomfortable, and tram-lining. I have ordered the Driveguard's for the front to be fitted next week and am hoping for a great improvement based on reviews.

I'm gonna see how things feel with the S001's on the back before I bite the bullet and replace them also but will be in the same boat when it comes to choice.

I wasn't expecting this problem as my prev car, a 218d MSport F22 Coupe has RFT Bridegestone's and they were absolutely perfect in allrespects. I got 34k out of all four before replacing with the same and even with the XL option, (cos they were cheaper), it was still a quiet, comfortable and controlled drive... I'm not sure as to why the 1 series, F20 feels so different? I've been told the geometry is different from the F22 but have no other details.. The Coupe was a far more refined car in all respects and I sincerely regret changing.
At present....118D LCi2 F20 in Sunset Orange, Previous... 218d M Sport Auto. Comfort, Driver, Basic Nav, M Sport pack, Black panel Estoril Blue... Previous... E87 118d SE Auto 5dr Mineral Grey Comfort.

scrounger
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by scrounger » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:14 am

I’ve got Conti SC5 on mine and they are great. A little noisy but the ride is good with only a little tram lining on really bad roads
Previous: MG F20 125i MSport, Manual, Xenons, Interior Comfort Pack
Now: AW F20 LCI 120d MSport, Sports Auto, Black Panel Display, Ferric Grey Alloys, Sun Protection Glass, Strut Brace, K&N Air Filter, H&K Tweeters and Mids

Airblade550
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Airblade550 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:46 pm

Had my front S001's replaced this morning and after a little run-in and fine tuning of pressures I think I have reached an acceptable compromise between handling and comfort.

Fronts are at 2.0 and rears at 2.1 which is low when you look at the BMW recommended pressures of 2.2 and 2.4 but as i'm no boy racer I think they will be fine. No real difference in cabin noise but the drive is certainly more refined. I just wonder if its worth looking at replacing the rears too but problem being no Driveguard tyres suit the rear size, (245/35/R18).

All in price of £214 fitted, (Tyres on the Drive), with a promotion of £50 love-to-shop vouchers from Bridgestone so very happy with the deal overall.

An observation though concerning various pressure readings... The garage gauge, (cold), measured 2.1 Bar, my independent, (hand held as recommended by auto express for accuracy), electronic gauge registered 2.0 Bar and the idrive showed them at 1.9 Bar!
At present....118D LCi2 F20 in Sunset Orange, Previous... 218d M Sport Auto. Comfort, Driver, Basic Nav, M Sport pack, Black panel Estoril Blue... Previous... E87 118d SE Auto 5dr Mineral Grey Comfort.

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”