Tyre Selection.....What would you choose?

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

dibbly_dobbler
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Tyre Selection.....What would you choose?

Post by dibbly_dobbler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks Marco and Steve :)

Reckon I will switch to AS3 later this year and see if they are acceptable in the winter and if not will buy proper winters next year.
EB LCI manual M135i with Adaptive, HK, Pro Nav and Comfort :)

identti

Post by identti » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:05 pm

Eagle F1s for me! Rainsports felt quite "floppy" for me in the past, which was fun but not very grippy or quick in the dry.

Eagle F1s are a great all-rounder, rain or shine they grip pretty well, last well and feel very safe over standing water.

Ian w
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ian w » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:24 pm

2Stevo2 wrote:
dibbly_dobbler wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:26 am
OP - did you go for the XL (extra load) option on the AS3s?
I did indeed. I don't believe there is another option....

Having had them for some time and allowed them to scrub in, I would say they are a very good tyre set that adds comfort and grip from the original Continental RFTs. Would recommend Image
Did you get them in stock sizes? I'm having trouble finding options for the oem size for the front of my 130i.

Plenty of choice with rears, but fronts are non existent.

Cheers

Ian

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2Stevo2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 2Stevo2 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:38 pm

Ian w wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:24 pm
2Stevo2 wrote:
dibbly_dobbler wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:26 am
OP - did you go for the XL (extra load) option on the AS3s?
I did indeed. I don't believe there is another option....

Having had them for some time and allowed them to scrub in, I would say they are a very good tyre set that adds comfort and grip from the original Continental RFTs. Would recommend Image
Did you get them in stock sizes? I'm having trouble finding options for the oem size for the front of my 130i.

Cheers

Ian

When you say "stock" sizes, do u mean OEM sizes?
F20 120d M-Sport Auto plus extras

Ian w
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ian w » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:43 pm

2Stevo2 wrote:
Ian w wrote:
2Stevo2 wrote: I did indeed. I don't believe there is another option....

Cheers

Ian

Yeah. I found a sticky thread after posting this so can see some alternatives, though these very depending on wheels fitted of course.

I currently have staggered 208s which I'm happy to stick with for now but need to find out what the consensus is with tyre brands and sizes when the time comes to change given the stock sizes are so limited in terms of choice.

2Stevo2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 2Stevo2 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:48 pm

Ian w wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:43 pm
2Stevo2 wrote:
Ian w wrote:

Cheers

Ian

Yeah. I found a sticky thread after posting this so can see some alternatives, though these very depending on wheels fitted of course.

I currently have staggered 208s which I'm happy to stick with for now but need to find out what the consensus is with tyre brands and sizes when the time comes to change given the stock sizes are so limited in terms of choice.

I did indeed. I dont know if your a fan but to merely look and see what oem tyres are available, black circles have a very good search function.

Ian w
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ian w » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:50 pm

2Stevo2 wrote:
Ian w wrote:
2Stevo2 wrote: When you say "stock" sizes, do u mean OEM sizes?

I did indeed. I dont know if your a fan but to merely look and see what oem tyres are available, black circles have a very good search function.
Yeah, it gives me a choice of like two different tyres for the fronts alone. Two, neither of which I'm particularly keen on (Dunlop Sportmaxx and Goodyear NCT5 I'm sure).

2Stevo2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 2Stevo2 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:09 pm

Ian w wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:50 pm
2Stevo2 wrote:
Ian w wrote:

Yeah, it gives me a choice of like two different tyres for the fronts alone. Two, neither of which I'm particularly keen on (Dunlop Sportmaxx and Goodyear NCT5 I'm sure).

Really?! What size is your fronts? Ive got countless options on Black Circles. Numerous options from nearly every major brand.

Ian w
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ian w » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:19 pm

2Stevo2 wrote:
Ian w wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:50 pm
2Stevo2 wrote: I did indeed. I dont know if your a fan but to merely look and see what oem tyres are available, black circles have a very good search function.

Really?! What size is your fronts? Ive got countless options on Black Circles. Numerous options from nearly every major brand.
These are the sizes it's giving me, with the aforementioned options plus a "black circles value choice" which naturally I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.Image

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:20 pm

The best sizes for 208m on 130i are (imo) 225/40/18 92Y front, and 235/40/18 95Y rear.

You could also go for the 225mm all round, or a 245/35/18 92Y rear if you wanted.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

2Stevo2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 2Stevo2 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:18 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:20 pm
The best sizes for 208m on 130i are (imo) 225/40/18 92Y front, and 235/40/18 95Y rear.

You could also go for the 225mm all round, or a 245/35/18 92Y rear if you wanted.
What he said 👆

fez_7
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by fez_7 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:00 pm

2Stevo2 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:37 am
Chaps.....quick question.....

I am purchasing the tyres from Black Circles and they have said the front set of F1's is currently not available.

In there place, they have offered:

2 x 225/40 R18 Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance

Would these be just as good?

Would there be any issues with a slightly different tyre on the front than on the back?

Cheers
They were 6th in the AutoExpress test. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessorie ... tyres-2017
2013 116D EfficientDynamics

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”