Winter Tyres - not so impressive! (Added a couple of short videos)

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196

alexdm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Winter Tyres - not so impressive! (Added a couple of short videos)

Post by alexdm » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:18 pm

Had my new Continental 850P tyres fitted this morning and the garage confirmed the rubber has severely hardened on my old Pirelli Sottozero Serie II tyres. I compared my old Pirelli winters (6mm left on rear and 7mm on front) to a new set and there was a night and day difference in the rubber softness.

So if anyone wants a winter tyre which can last longer than just 2 winters, avoid the Pirellis!
White m235i Auto with black grilles, pro nav, adaptive, HK, voodoo headlights + some other bits & bobs! :)

MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MontegoBlue » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:47 pm

My 3er has worn it's Riken Snow boots since October, worn very little and grip has been great!

Done around 10k since October aswell.

Had Pirelli winters few years back, never rated them either tbh...

No one else rock the "au naturale/continental look"? :)

Current - 2012 318d N47 Touring - 88,000 miles
Current - 1966 1300 Beetle - 168,000 miles
Past - 2008 118d N47 - last seen 180,000 miles

midlifecrisis
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by midlifecrisis » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:44 pm

Try what this guy does ..... as one of the comments suggests ..... brilliant watching natural selection at work :lol:

Paul

2010 123d M Sport Space Grey
2012 M135i Mineral Grey (Mustafa Mk I)
2014 M135i Sapphire Black (Mustafa Mk II)
2016 M140i Mineral Grey (Mustafa Mk III)

alexdm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by alexdm » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:18 pm

So the ongoing saga continues! For those who are interested...

I emailed Pirelli after Christmas and noted how disappointed I was with the tyres and they requested I arrange to send the tyres back to then for testing, which I did...

Last week I got a letter back stating the tyres were within specification and they would send them back if I wanted them but wouldn’t do anything further. So I wrote back explaining, in short, that I was surprised at the result and explained the immediate difference when I fitted my Continentals. Now the Pirelli tyres review ok so there shouldn’t be such a huge difference. Also I was happy with the Pirelli tyres for the first 2 winters, so can remember what they should be like to drive in!

Anyway they have offered to send a field engineer to refit the tyres to my car, and take my car for a test drive! Not going to allow a stranger to test the limits of grip on tyres I don’t trust whilst fitted to my own car, nor am I going to risk alloy damage or tyre damage to my nice new Continental tyres!

So it goes on... though think I’m pretty well at the limit of how much of my time it’s worth taking further!
White m235i Auto with black grilles, pro nav, adaptive, HK, voodoo headlights + some other bits & bobs! :)

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:53 pm

alexdm wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:18 pm
So the ongoing saga continues! For those who are interested...

I emailed Pirelli after Christmas and noted how disappointed I was with the tyres and they requested I arrange to send the tyres back to then for testing, which I did...

Last week I got a letter back stating the tyres were within specification and they would send them back if I wanted them but wouldn’t do anything further. So I wrote back explaining, in short, that I was surprised at the result and explained the immediate difference when I fitted my Continentals. Now the Pirelli tyres review ok so there shouldn’t be such a huge difference. Also I was happy with the Pirelli tyres for the first 2 winters, so can remember what they should be like to drive in!

Anyway they have offered to send a field engineer to refit the tyres to my car, and take my car for a test drive! Not going to allow a stranger to test the limits of grip on tyres I don’t trust whilst fitted to my own car, nor am I going to risk alloy damage or tyre damage to my nice new Continental tyres!

So it goes on... though think I’m pretty well at the limit of how much of my time it’s worth taking further!
Not quite sure how they can test winter tyres unless you happen to have the right conditions for them - hoping for snow?
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin, Poplar Grey trim

alexdm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by alexdm » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:43 pm

redwizard wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:53 pm
Not quite sure how they can test winter tyres unless you happen to have the right conditions for them - hoping for snow?
God only knows (though the traction was noticeably poor in all conditions).

But in any case I have decided they won’t be using my car to test them or messing about removing and refitting my perfectly good new winter tyres!

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:22 pm

alexdm wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:43 pm
redwizard wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:53 pm
God only knows (though the traction was noticeably poor in all conditions).

But in any case I have decided they won’t be using my car to test them or messing about removing and refitting my perfectly good new winter tyres!
I'm sticking with my Dunlop M3s - no reason to try anything else.
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin, Poplar Grey trim

alexdm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by alexdm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:40 am

Well Pirelli aren’t prepared to do their own vehicle testing, and I’m not prepared to let them refit and test drive the tyres in my car... So they have said there is nothing they can do to take it further without using my car. I’d rather lose the £300 worth of remaining life than have them mess around with my car. Given I returned tyres with 7mm tread left suggests there is something not right but hey ho.

Well - won’t ever be buying or recommending Pirelli tyres again!

Barney McGrew
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:21 pm

If it's any consolation I have Sottozero's on mine at the moment and wouldn't bother with them again next year as they slip very easily even in the dry under the power of the M140i.

I don't think you've had tyres that have a defect, I think they're just not the best winters for these cars. I might swap back to the summers in the next couple of weeks - I know there can still be a risk of snow but it's becoming more unlikely as we leave February (queue the biggest blizzard ever the day after I change them back).

Just need to find somewhere to do a big burnout first :twisted:

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Winter tyres are meant to slip - but with control.

Brilliant for those little "flick" turns. :twisted: (90 degree turns where you practically pivot on the inside front....).

alexdm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by alexdm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Barney McGrew wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:21 pm
If it's any consolation I have Sottozero's on mine at the moment and wouldn't bother with them again next year as they slip very easily even in the dry under the power of the M140i.

I don't think you've had tyres that have a defect, I think they're just not the best winters for these cars. I might swap back to the summers in the next couple of weeks - I know there can still be a risk of snow but it's becoming more unlikely as we leave February (queue the biggest blizzard ever the day after I change them back).

Just need to find somewhere to do a big burnout first :twisted:
LOL yea may as well get some use out of them!

I'm sure the Pirellis have degraded as I ran them winter 2015/16 and 2016/17 with no issues... Just this winter traction has been dreadful in all conditions. Wheels spinning in the wet even under very light acceleration, traction control light constantly flickering and they wouldn't even move the car on fresh snow - even on the level being as gentle with the controls as you like (conditions I have driven on before with no problems at all)! As soon as the new Continentals went on the level of traction improved instantly - a night and day difference.

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:19 pm

Oh yes, they do degrade and this is the last season for my set but that's part of the fun!

Barney McGrew
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:55 am

Yeah i have found winters only last a couple of seasons, 3 if you're very lucky.

One of the downsides of the tyre type but just how it goes unfortunately.

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:56 am

My Dunlops have done 5 seasons!

Even with reduced grip they are still better than the summers and you're not wearing the summers out uneccessarily.

I may leave them on until April this time.

alexdm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by alexdm » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:23 pm

Barney McGrew wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:55 am
Yeah i have found winters only last a couple of seasons, 3 if you're very lucky.

One of the downsides of the tyre type but just how it goes unfortunately.
Really? I had a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks I ran for 5 years and they never went hard...

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”