Winter Tyres - not so impressive! (Added a couple of short videos)

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Enthusiast
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Winter Tyres - not so impressive!

Post by Enthusiast » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:05 am

invisible wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:33 am
sgb27 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:38 pm
Am I the only one who finds it fun to drive in the snow? Early Sunday morning is the perfect time as there was virtually zero traffic. Roundabout after roundabout, freshly covered in snow with nobody else about, what should an M140i owner do??? :D
That.
Second that.

We´ve had snow for two days straight in Gothenburg, just popped it in traction mode and was sideways everywhere i could :mrgreen:
2015 120D | Sport-Auto | M-sport | Alpine White | Alcantara

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:20 am

chester wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:54 pm

You can fit th best tyres in the world but it won't stop someone smacking into you.

Mines tucked safely away until spring :)
Why would you buy a car to store in the garage? :? What do you use in the winter?

NISFAN wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:23 pm
IMO, very dangerous to drive with traction off in slippery conditions. The stability control is reduced to a level that won’t be able to catch a sudden slide. Even ABS is put into a sport setting, which will allow locking, and although it will still step in, you could have lost a few meters in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nisfan

Aside from your error in settings, in very slippery ice and certainly snowy conditions, ABS off is the best setting – unfortunately, it’s not available unless you pull the fuse. It allows you to lock up your wheels and, more importantly, allow you to release once they have locked up having turned them in the direction you want to go. By doing this, the car will swerve in that direction allowing you to avoid obstacles. Furthermore, locking wheels on snow allows snow to build up in front of the tyre which will slow you down faster than relying on friction. ABS does not allow either of these two conditions to happen.
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

chester
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by chester » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:52 am

[/quote]
Why would you buy a car to store in the garage? :? What do you use in the winter?
[/quote]

Number of reasons. Its a second car so no need to use it in the bad weather plus I'll be buying it off BMW at the end of its PCP so happy to keep the mileage as low as possible and enjoy it for years to come. I won't buying the 4cyl replacement.

I bought a new Hyundai i10 SE Premium earlier in the year that does the daily stuff. Have to say its cracking little car, not fast :lol: but very capable as a daily and amazed with the kit it has, heated seats, steering wheel, electric sunroof, anti collision and lane departure warning, Apple carplay/sat nav etc. Find it perfect for town use and nipping into small gaps in traffic, quite impressed with the car to be honest and cheap motoring.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Ok, so why have a second car if you don't use it? :lol: :lol:
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

chester
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by chester » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:24 pm

GeeDee wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:21 pm
I would imagine you have more than one pair of shoes!
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

ScoobyChris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ScoobyChris » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:36 pm

chester wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:24 pm
GeeDee wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:21 pm
I would imagine you have more than one pair of shoes!
I wonder if he wears the most appropriate shoes for the outside weather conditions, rather than just not going outside? :wink: :lol:

Chris

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Go outside? In this weather??

ScoobyChris - not sure who you're having a go at here. Initially, I thought me but now not so sure.

Fair point re the shoes except that my "other" shoes when not being used are not costing me insurance, tax, depreciation, servicing, etc.

On a similar vein, I hate wearing coats but have quite a few on the basis it has to be the right coat for the conditions - I have three in the car at all times. :escape:

Anyway, back to winter tyres :lol:

ScoobyChris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ScoobyChris » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:16 pm

GeeDee wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:50 pm
ScoobyChris - not sure who you're having a go at here. Initially, I thought me but now not so sure.
Not having a go - just seemed a nice segway back to winter tyres and choosing the best "tool" for the job ;)

Chris

Gimbal
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Gimbal » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:18 pm

glen8 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 am
ok, so is it a long press?
Full nanny on during normal driving. If you need more spin to climb a hill for instance a short press will give you plenty of spin, warp speed is not necessary. As soon as the problem area is passed another short press will enable full nanny mode again.

If you are out to play then a short press will usually be enough, it will let you do some pretty wide power slides but will still help you out if it goes out of hand. With all nanny off you better have room for error.

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:44 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:16 pm
GeeDee wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:50 pm
Not having a go - just seemed a nice segway back to winter tyres and choosing the best "tool" for the job ;)

Chris
"Having a go" probably came across a bit stronger than intended.

Do you miss your Scooby, or is it in your garage waiting for some proper snow? :lol:

alexdm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by alexdm » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Ok so to re-iterate (yes later in the day I did successfully make it out after adding 100kg of weight into the boot to add to my impressive 62kg frame lol)....

Is this what you would expect from winter tyres (Pirelli Sottozero W240 RFT - as recommended by BMW, 6mm tread left and 2.5 years since manufacture):

https://youtu.be/Cn456eWWJok

This is fresh snow - and not just here on the drive. Got stuck twice more in the space of 5 mins (and the last time needed pushing to free myself).

Am I expecting too much?? Strongly considering new winters at the moment as my previous 118d on winters was NOTHING like that.

Ignore the soundtrack btw lol.
White m235i Auto with black grilles, pro nav, adaptive, HK, voodoo headlights + some other bits & bobs! :)

Mooeeey
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mooeeey » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:18 pm

alexdm wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:41 pm
Ok so to re-iterate (yes later in the day I did successfully make it out after adding 100kg of weight into the boot to add to my impressive 62kg frame lol)....

Is this what you would expect from winter tyres (Pirelli Sottozero W240 RFT - as recommended by BMW, 6mm tread left and 2.5 years since manufacture):

https://youtu.be/Cn456eWWJok

This is fresh snow - and not just here on the drive. Got stuck twice more in the space of 5 mins (and the last time needed pushing to free myself).

Am I expecting too much?? Strongly considering new winters at the moment as my previous 118d on winters was NOTHING like that.

Ignore the soundtrack btw lol.
What tyre sizes are you using?

Where did you get stuck? Did you have to come to a stop on an incline and couldn't get started again?

Not tried the Pirelli's before. What are the snow reviews like?
Now: F21 M140i
In the past: F20 120d Sport | E46 M3 | E46 325Ci Sport | E90 320d SE | E87 118d Sport | F21 M135i

alexdm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by alexdm » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Mooeeey wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:18 pm

What tyre sizes are you using?

Where did you get stuck? Did you have to come to a stop on an incline and couldn't get started again?

Not tried the Pirelli's before. What are the snow reviews like?
I got stuck there in the drive as setting off (barely any snow under the tyres), then in a slight incline on the main road (I mean slight) and then again when I returned and tried to reverse into the drive. Needed to be pushed and let’s be honest the road is flat - no incline.

I used 2nd gear, traction mode, VERY gentle on the throttle... just no traction at all.

I drove in worse conditions in my 1er on Blizzaks and never expected an issue here at all. Just trying to work out if the problem is technique (happy to accept but I’m not a total novice in the snow - though am in an auto), or crap tyres?

Tyres are 225/40/18 all round. My 1er was 205/50/17 I think.
White m235i Auto with black grilles, pro nav, adaptive, HK, voodoo headlights + some other bits & bobs! :)

Mooeeey
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mooeeey » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:05 pm

Personally I found a manual easier to deal with in the snow. Yes you can put the auto in manual mode, but it's difficult to get unstuck because you can't rock it backwards and forwards using the clutch like you can with a manual.

But still you shouldn't be having those issues. Could be there's something wrong with the rubber. I know you mentioned they're only 2.5 years old, but if they were stored incorrectly and exposed to sunlight the rubber could have hardened and that's what could be making it worse, but then again the tread pattern and sipes should be giving you the grip you need in snow.

The only time I've had issues in deepish snow was dealing with steep inclines with little to no run up. I drive mostly using DTC, occasionally disabling TC completely, gearbox in manual and eco pro to dull the throttle a little.

I have found it a little tricky this week because where I live the snow had fallen, melted, then re-frozen and snowed again. The result was very uneven ice and a thin layer of snow so the tyres struggled to grip the snow as it wasn't deep enough to compact, and the car was skipping about on the uneven ice underneath. Awful conditions.

I've read some reviews now of the Pirelli's and I don't think it's the tyre I'd choose. They never seem to beat Nokian or Continental on snow tests.
Now: F21 M140i
In the past: F20 120d Sport | E46 M3 | E46 325Ci Sport | E90 320d SE | E87 118d Sport | F21 M135i

alexdm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by alexdm » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Yea I was surprised how poor they’ve been. Tyres were stored mounted on rims in a dark garage on a tyre rack off the floor with 1 bar pressure, and rotated every 6 weeks. Rubber still feels soft to the touch and there is no cracking or signs of premature ageing.

True about the manual though. Much easier to feel how much power you are really delivering to the wheels. You’re left guessing a bit with the auto.

Perhaps I’ll bite the bullet and try some different tyres - and perhaps ditch the RFT (though I do like the idea of not becoming totally stranded in winter - especially after my puncture on the MPSS summers!)

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”